[AT&T] Did I just brick my GN2? Sigh

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
SO, last night I tried rooting and flashing a custom ROM for the first time. I used the ExynosAbuse exploit to root the phone, downloaded CWM RomManager and flashed CWM recovery, and downloaded the CM 10.1 port to I317 and the latest gApps release. I booted into CWM recovery and cleared the user data, cache, and then loaded the two zip files from the internal phone storage and rebooted into CM 10.1. Needless to say, it really sucks. No lock screen, the AOSP keyboard is literally unusable, so I can't type anything, and the browser does not work. I tried using Android File Transfer with my Mac to put CleanROM on it to use that instead, but it won't recognize it. I could go get a cheap SD card to load the ROM onto and then just transfer the ROM from there in recovery mode, or try using the USB debugging mode on a Windows PC, but those are the only ideas I've come up with... I'm a super noob to doing anything involving root on Android, but it seems so cool. Perhaps I got a bit in over my head with this, but hopefully I can flash a usable ROM soon... CWM recovery mode shows that I can mount an external SD card, which I'm guessing I can use to transfer the new ROM? I did not make a backup before flashing with NANDroid, and feel really dumb for not doing so, but I though CWM recovery did that when it was flashed. I'm using a Nexus 4 in the meantime (with the idea that I would just keep the N4 stock and then do whatever with the Note 2), so it's not like I'm completely out of a good phone, but I am really hoping this isn't bricked! Any help would be appreciated.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Did I just brick my GN2? Sigh

SO, last night I tried rooting and flashing a custom ROM for the first time. I used the ExynosAbuse exploit to root the phone, downloaded CWM RomManager and flashed CWM recovery, and downloaded the CM 10.1 port to I317 and the latest gApps release. I booted into CWM recovery and cleared the user data, cache, and then loaded the two zip files from the internal phone storage and rebooted into CM 10.1. Needless to say, it really sucks. No lock screen, the AOSP keyboard is literally unusable, so I can't type anything, and the browser does not work. I tried using Android File Transfer with my Mac to put CleanROM on it to use that instead, but it won't recognize it. I could go get a cheap SD card to load the ROM onto and then just transfer the ROM from there in recovery mode, or try using the USB debugging mode on a Windows PC, but those are the only ideas I've come up with... I'm a super noob to doing anything involving root on Android, but it seems so cool. Perhaps I got a bit in over my head with this, but hopefully I can flash a usable ROM soon... CWM recovery mode shows that I can mount an external SD card, which I'm guessing I can use to transfer the new ROM? I did not make a backup before flashing with NANDroid, and feel really dumb for not doing so, but I though CWM recovery did that when it was flashed. I'm using a Nexus 4 in the meantime (with the idea that I would just keep the N4 stock and then do whatever with the Note 2), so it's not like I'm completely out of a good phone, but I am really hoping this isn't bricked! Any help would be appreciated.

It is not bricked. Did you complete a backup before attempting to flash?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

You will have to put a different rom on an SD card using a PC and install off that using CWM. After you have it up and running MAKE A BACKUP with NAND.
At least it was a good learning experience for you.
Let us know how it works out for you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

rhaneyjr

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

running clean rom and i can say it is wicked fast and stable. should have rooted using CF root. much simpler.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What is this exynos abuse exploit I keep seeing? More people seem to mess up with this exploit than any others. Cf auto root is the only way I do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay