[AT&T] Basic Rooting Question

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
if u want to leave carier they cant stop u , pay the penalty and u fine to go whenever u want, rooting is where they loose big bucks couse u unlocking lots of stuff that u should be paying for it like free hotspot etc...

We are not talking about what carriers loose money on we are talking about what is or is not illegal. I have looked at your post history and it seems like you signed up just to argue with your conspiracy theory.

Also these companies are more concerned with keeping you in their service more than they are concerned about the $3.99 they lose a month on someone activating free hotspot.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
We are not talking about what carriers loose money on we are talking about what is or is not illegal. I have looked at your post history and it seems like you signed up just to argue with your conspiracy theory.

Also these companies are more concerned with keeping you in their service more than they are concerned about the $3.99 they lose a month on someone activating free hotspot.

DroidXcon I basically told him the same thing in another forum. I believe he is a troll. Just looking to argue.

Sent via Tapatalk

markbencze

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I posted on the wrong board! I meant to post on the htc board for my tablet ive been thinking of rooting too but im having second thoughts asbi cant find any good roms for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Tonight or tomorrow a guide will be up...simply rooting will not stop updates. Putting on a custom rom will. But usually the rom builder will update their roms to reflect updated changes.

If you remember please hit me up with a link when its available

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Jasguild. What do you need help with? Im a forum junkie looking to help. Xda has everything you need to rom your phone. All roms are installed the same way. First you root. Then you install your recovery. Use goomanager for this. Its in the playstore. Goomanager will download and install the recovery for you. Once you have a recovery you can install the rom. Its stupid simple. Just download the rom to your phone. Load the recovery and there will be an option to flash the rom. Just point the recovery at where on the phone the new rom resides and it will do the rest. The phone restarts and you are done.

Sent via Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Jasguild. What do you need help with? Im a forum junkie looking to help. Xda has everything you need to rom your phone. All roms are installed the same way. First you root. Then you install your recovery. Use goomanager for this. Its in the playstore. Goomanager will download and install the recovery for you. Once you have a recovery you can install the rom. Its stupid simple. Just download the rom to your phone. Load the recovery and there will be an option to flash the rom. Just point the recovery at where on the phone the new rom resides and it will do the rest. The phone restarts and you are done.

Sent via Tapatalk

I think he wants a little more detail than xda gives without having to ask questions and get called a noob every 5 seconds.

For instance you don't mention wiping dallvik cache in the instructions you just gave. At the very least you should wipe dalvik to prevent boot loops. So he is looking for a step by step in that manner

Here is a guide I made for verizon version but if you follow directions in the twrp section you should be good. I plan on making a thread that is more universal

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=237940
[How to] Use Custom Recoveries - Let the fun begin!

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It wasnt meant to be a guide. More like an overview.

Btw I personally have never wiped the dalvik cache. I dont even know what it is. I read the forums for cleanrom and they say to do general wipe before the flash. So thsts all I have ever done. Never had a single problem. Not trying to be argumentative

Sent via Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Btw I personally have never wiped the dalvik cache. I dont even know what it is. I read the forums for cleanrom and they say to do general wipe before the flash. So thsts all I have ever done. Never had a single problem. Not trying to be argumentative

Sent via Tapatalk

You should wipe it next time you flash... You dont have the problem with cleanrom because it is close to what stock is and the same build but trust me in the future you want to wipe dalvik cache. In the thread I posted above I think I wrote up what it is

markbencze

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Question...
I have jedi x installed which I really like. But id also like to check out jellybam. Do I have to delete jedi x iff my phone memory in order to flash jellybam or can I have them both saved and just flash whichever rom I want when I want? Do I have 5o wipe data too whenbi do this or just wipe the cache and dalvik cache before I flash it? I just want to be cautious to make sure I dont do any harm.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You should wipe it next time you flash... You dont have the problem with cleanrom because it is close to what stock is and the same build but trust me in the future you want to wipe dalvik cache. In the thread I posted above I think I wrote up what it is

From what I read and understood, the cache are the temp files. If I do nothing else I wipe the cache now just out of habit.It then will rebuild the apps upon restarting the device.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
From what I read and understood, the cache are the temp files. If I do nothing else I wipe the cache now just out of habit.It then will rebuild the apps upon restarting the device.

Please read the FAQ from my thread below there is a question What is Dalvik cache
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-how-use-custom-recoveries-let-fun-begin.html

the Dalvik cache and regular cache are different files. regular cache is temp files that are app generated as you go about everyday use. Dalvik cache is app specific.
When you move from rom to rom you are using a different version of apps. So lets say i go from Cleanrom which is touchwiz based to Cyanogen mod rom. Both of these roms will have a "Contacts" app in them but just because they are similar does not mean they are the same. if you were to attempt to use the original Dalvik cache then flash cyanogen mod rom onto your phone there would be a conflict since the phone wants to use the cached data from the old "Contacts" app with the new one despite the coding being different. This will cause an immediate Force close and will not fix itself until you wipe dalvik cache and let android rebuild it using the new code from the new "Contacts" app. Failure to wipe dalvik cache will either cause FC after FC or just a flat out bootloop when running into a situation as i have layed out above. So since wiping dalvik cache is not going to hurt your phone data its best to wipe it and be better safe than sorry

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Please read the FAQ from my thread below there is a question What is Dalvik cache
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-how-use-custom-recoveries-let-fun-begin.html

the Dalvik cache and regular cache are different files. regular cache is temp files that are app generated as you go about everyday use. Dalvik cache is app specific.
When you move from rom to rom you are using a different version of apps. So lets say i go from Cleanrom which is touchwiz based to Cyanogen mod rom. Both of these roms will have a "Contacts" app in them but just because they are similar does not mean they are the same. if you were to attempt to use the original Dalvik cache then flash cyanogen mod rom onto your phone there would be a conflict since the phone wants to use the cached data from the old "Contacts" app with the new one despite the coding being different. This will cause an immediate Force close and will not fix itself until you wipe dalvik cache and let android rebuild it using the new code from the new "Contacts" app. Failure to wipe dalvik cache will either cause FC after FC or just a flat out bootloop when running into a situation as i have layed out above. So since wiping dalvik cache is not going to hurt your phone data its best to wipe it and be better safe than sorry

I guess to me, your threading needles. The cache from what you and I are saying, are the same thing:a file or files that an application will build and use to allow things to be accessed quicker. Whether it is an incremental(part) or initial(full), they will still work together, though in different ways. One is a full, and the other is an ongoing. It is pretty much the way backups work with servers(minus the bit being reset in a way) and also within the registry of computers. But that is going much deeper than this discussion to a large extent is needed by a beginner and probably would, from what u have been reading, turn them off.

I will go a bit further and elaborate that going not only from one rom to another can cause potential problems, but, from one version to another of an application, as the way a code is written can store different language hooks, which may or may not be the same, or written differently in different versions. You do not have to do it (wiping the davlik or regular cache), but it is better to do so, and can avoid many problems. Not to mention, it is better to just get in the habit of doing so.

The same goes for the system wipes. I mean, let's be honest here, you, I and many others are so into this and other things that they overlap one another. That being said, 90% of what we are debating is going to go over the average users head( no insult to anyone's knowledge or lack there of, myself included as the is always something to learn), so saying that "you should do it because it's easy and it can avoid problems", is probably all they want to know when first starting out. I know I did.

I was afraid to do it, and just didn't want to break my phone. So a lot of the technical came later (over the past month or so with reading and messing around), after the initial and successful root and then rom install.

Breaking down the components is not for everyone, just like I have realized rooting and roming isn't. Yes, better to know, but depending on the method (especially twrp), sincerely not necessary at first.

Maybe I misunderstood something. If so, apologies.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess to me, your threading needles. The cache from what you and I are saying, are the same thing:a file or files that an application will build and use to allow things to be accessed quicker. Whether it is an incremental(part) or initial(full), they will still work together, though in different ways. One is a full, and the other is an ongoing. It is pretty much the way backups work with servers(minus the bit being reset in a way) and also within the registry of computers. But that is going much deeper than this discussion to a large extent is needed by a beginner and probably would, from what u have been reading, turn them off.

I will go a bit further and elaborate that going not only from one rom to another can cause potential problems, but, from one version to another of an application, as the way a code is written can store different language hooks, which may or may not be the same, or written differently in different versions. You do not have to do it (wiping the davlik or regular cache), but it is better to do so, and can avoid many problems. Not to mention, it is better to just get in the habit of doing so.

The same goes for the system wipes. I mean, let's be honest here, you, I and many others are so into this and other things that they overlap one another. That being said, 90% of what we are debating is going to go over the average users head( no insult to anyone's knowledge or lack there of, myself included as the is always something to learn), so saying that "you should do it because it's easy and it can avoid problems", is probably all they want to know when first starting out. I know I did.

I was afraid to do it, and just didn't want to break my phone. So a lot of the technical came later (over the past month or so with reading and messing around), after the initial and successful root and then rom install.

Breaking down the components is not for everyone, just like I have realized rooting and roming isn't. Yes, better to know, but depending on the method (especially twrp), sincerely not necessary at first.

Maybe I misunderstood something. If so, apologies.

I agree its to much info. my problem is that there is an inbetween amount of info a new user must have. The whole reason this was all brought up was a previous poster over simplified the flashing process skipping the wipe part of the instructions.
Of course its easy to say just flash the rom without wiping but that of course may lead to bootloops and force closes which will def sour the process for any new user. So although people may get away with not wiping dalvik cache doesnt mean that this is the proper way of doing things and i didnt want to let that slide and have a user trying to flash a rom end up in a bootloop and freakout because they think they have ruined their phone.

In the thread i posted earlier i tried to simplify dalvik cache as much as possible. giving the user info on what the process is, but if you look on the instructional tab of that same thread i tried to give clear and simple instructions without crazy amounts of info.

For example on how to flash a rom:
1.)Select Wipe
2.)Select Cache
3.)Swipe from left to right to confirm Cache Wipe
4.)Select Wipe
5.)Select Factory Reset(This will delete all of your apps, passwords, settings and accounts.)
6.)Swipe from left to right to confirm Factory Reset Wipe
7.)Press the on Screen home button in the lower left hand corner to return to Home menu
8.)Select Install
9.)Find the Rom zip file you would like to flash and select it
10.) Swipe from left to right to confirm Flash( Some Roms may have additional on screen selections , Simply follow directions)
11.)When Flash is completed Select Wipe Dalvik cache
12.) Swipe from left to right to confirm Wipe Dalvik cache
13.)Reboot System
14.)Enjoy

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Sent via Tapatalk

Jdub, if I can, can I use you as an example with what you just said?

This is a perfect case of what I just posted. Because he does a system wipe, there really is no reason to worry about the davlik or regular cache, as both are going to basically be brand new, as in jdub's example, what he has done in essence is a reformat, taking all of the old application data that was cache with it.

It had to rebuild completely anyhow, and in this step, yes, I do the davlik and cache just to do it, but is it necessary? Not really with what I understand?

And as a second, j is an example of someone that (according to his post and I could be completely wrong. If so, I once again apologize and no offense meant) doesn't need to know or maybe doesn't want to, as in his case, it may not be in his ultimate scheme to know every thing that is going on?

I'm a tinker person, and I have two phones, so I'm more apt to play, but I'm not everyone. Some people just want it to work well and go on about their day and that's good enough. Me, being the good that I am, I'm messing with system files now. Small ones that do things that I want, but still. Not everyone is going to do that though.

Kind of know what I mean or am I off base? I'm just trying to learn and help too, so once again, I may be wrong?

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, yes. That is true and I ser what you are saying now. And yes, I read the few steps you gave, which were short, and to the point. So yes, I agree with you and understand what you were saying. Your 200% right! Lol, maybe you should bold that step.

I don't know how much food it will do. I think it was sqa4life that stepped me through it the first time (if not, whom ever it was, I apologize, but they did give me GREAT advice) by saying like three times, wipe and backup. So it just stuck with me and I do it anytime now that I flash anything, from a rom, to a simple menu color mod. That, and I backup, backup, backup!

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

Sent via Tapatalk

I prefer reading every last detail rather than winging it. I think I found the guides and I will try to do it this weekend.
I do have another question. How do I go about restoring my my data files after installing clean rom?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I prefer reading every last detail rather than winging it. I think I found the guides and I will try to do it this weekend.
I do have another question. How do I go about restoring my my data files after installing clean rom?

Get titanium backup, then do a backup
After installing cleanrom download titanium backup again then restore missing apps +data

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
So after installing clean Rom, I can then restore my data files with titanium??? Does titanium and nandroid do the same thing?

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So after installing clean Rom, I can then restore my data files with titanium??? Does titanium and nandroid do the same thing?

Yes it will restore most your data. I would backup your contacts to sdcard or to Google just in case.. nandroid backup is like a restore point in a computer it will restore the Rom you backed up Rom and all. So if you nandroid backup your stock Rom, install clean a rom then restore that nandroid you would be back at stock like you never did anything....titanium just backs up your apps and data

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon