AT&T Note 2: Installing custom recovery after OTA 4.3

DarkstarsDad

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Installing custom recovery after OTA 4.3

Flash it with cwm then use the cwn ap

Flash cwm then use the su app from chainfire when I ran it it asked if I wanted to try to disable knox I said yes and it did. Then I could download and install the binary. Then I just launched the cwm app and told it to install itself. Im on sprint sgs4

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Flash it with cwm then use the cwn ap

Flash cwm then use the su app from chainfire when I ran it it asked if I wanted to try to disable knox I said yes and it did. Then I could download and install the binary. Then I just launched the cwm app and told it to install itself. Im on sprint sgs4

Does this disable the Knox bootloader? Cause the issue is Knox is stopping the entire process by preventing me from using a custom recovery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

The way I see it, Samsung is going to do everything they can to prevent people from rooting and flashing ROMs, and if that's true, a lot of people will look for another brand next year

Posted via Android Central App

I dont think this is it. That sounds to much like CrApple. Android is Linux which is an open operating system. My thinking is that regardless of it being open or not Samsung is not responsible with giving proprietary software to the end user so we can "hack" their hardware. The options are there to run software and its up to us to create a means to do so. I.e. 4.3 is new and no such software specifically for the note 2 (your carrier) is available to hack it yet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Does this disable the Knox bootloader? Cause the issue is Knox is stopping the entire process by preventing me from using a custom recovery

On this subject I have read that knox isnt designed to block flashing of anything. The user has the right to flash whatever they want. What does happen is once knox detects the flash, knox then becomes forever disabled even after flashing back to stock or factory reset. Knox is supposedly built into the kernel so that it can see everything. Knox was designed to be a security feature for the enterprise consumer such as goverment, medical field, large corporation etc. It would allow buisness admin to secure devices so no outside entities could hack into the corparations. If you dont need that, then who cares if knox is disabled. If your company owns your phone leave it stock, otherwise do as you please.

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

On this subject I have read that knox isnt designed to block flashing of anything. The user has the right to flash whatever they want. What does happen is once knox detects the flash, knox then becomes forever disabled even after flashing back to stock or factory reset. Knox is supposedly built into the kernel so that it can see everything. Knox was designed to be a security feature for the enterprise consumer such as goverment, medical field, large corporation etc. It would allow buisness admin to secure devices so no outside entities could hack into the corparations. If you dont need that, then who cares if knox is disabled. If your company owns your phone leave it stock, otherwise do as you please.

That makes a lot of sense and I can see the practical applications of Knox. However I have attempted to install a custom recovery and then from the recovery flash a rom. I have made sure I'm using all resources designed for my device, the problem still remains that it will not boot into twrp after I flash it in odin. It reverts back to the stock recovery.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

That makes a lot of sense and I can see the practical applications of Knox. However I have attempted to install a custom recovery and then from the recovery flash a rom. I have made sure I'm using all resources designed for my device, the problem still remains that it will not boot into twrp after I flash it in odin. It reverts back to the stock recovery.

So it will take the root just fine after the flash in odin but then why are you flashing TWRP with odin as well? Download GooManager from the playstore for free. Open goomanager and go to options to "install recovery script". Tap that and it will install TWRP for you. If a TWRP update ever comes out in the future use Goomanager for that as well. Goomanager will autodownload the correct and most recent version of TWRP so no worries there.

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

So it will take the root just fine after the flash in odin but then why are you flashing TWRP with odin as well? Download GooManager from the playstore for free. Open goomanager and go to options to "install recovery script". Tap that and it will install TWRP for you. If a TWRP update ever comes out in the future use Goomanager for that as well. Goomanager will autodownload the correct and most recent version of TWRP so no worries there.

Gonna be real honest here.

I've been doing more reading and root is step one. I'm a noob to all of this. Gonna do a root now.

For the record I was watching YouTube video about getting kit kat. He said twrp then install cwm, the use cwm to flash the rom I had my eye on b/c if twrp flashed it I would have no data.

He made no mention of rooting so I figured that was the last step.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MKDgQhAscI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is cf auto root still the main way to root? I found a guide on xda for rooting

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I've been doing more reading and root is step one. I'm a noob to all of this. Gonna do a root now.

For the record I was watching YouTube video about getting kit kat. He said twrp then install cwm, the use cwm to flash the rom I had my eye on b/c if twrp flashed it I would have no data.

CF Auto root is the easiest way by far. Took less than a minute on my S4. Why would it say TWRP then flash CWM? TWRP does the same thing. No need to install one if you already have the other

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

CF Auto root is the easiest way by far. Took less than a minute on my S4. Why would it say TWRP then flash CWM? TWRP does the same thing. No need to install one if you already have the other

Cf autoroot is my fav. Not sure if the root file is specific to carrier or not though.

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Cf autoroot is my fav. Not sure if the root file is specific to carrier or not though.

Cf was stupid easy. I am successfully rooted.

Now it's either twrp/cwm. Use one of them to flash the actual rom I want.

Now that I'm rooted what's this I always hear about making backups? Any suggestions?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Nothing can be done prior to root access. You must be rooted to flash anything custom. Also one rooted you may find that existing apps you have may have added functionality. Also there are quite a few root apps that are must haves after the root process is done. Titanium Backup is numero uno! Personally id do root first. Then download and install titanium backup. Run TB and in settings tell it to use External SD card to save backups. Then do a backup of all apps and data. This wille make it super easy to reinstall your apps in between rom changes.
There are plenty of capable apps to add that need root access. Id look into this before changing roms. You may be able to get what you want without the risk/bugs of roms.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

After the above is done then go to appstore and get goomanager. Goomanager give you TWRP. CWM gives you nand backups and honestly I really know nothing about cwm as I have been exclusive to TWRP since day one. Having said all this, I ave to say that I have been happily unrooted for 4 months and would rather be this way then to constantly troubleshoot faulty roms. When you run a rom and then need help on a forum its to hard tohelp when the people arent running the same rom as you.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Now that I'm rooted what's this I always hear about making backups? Any suggestions?

Read my post. Apparently I was typing it while you were typing yours.

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Read my post. Apparently I was typing it while you were typing yours.

Got titanium back up. From it I can destroy the bloatware, and other stuff right? Also when I rooted it it disabled Knox. Can I completely remove it with titanium?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Got titanium back up. From it I can destroy the bloatware, and other stuff right? Also when I rooted it it disabled Knox. Can I completely remove it with titanium?

I do not believe Knox is an app, I should be system software. If you arw bent on romming then when you flash the rom it will generally have bloatware removed. Xda has the rom links. Just make sure to read the forums about bugs and what not before you attempt a flash. Also make sure said rom is for your phone Note 2 and each rom is carrier specific unless otherwise noted.

Bloatware can be removed with titanium backup.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

One final note. Goomanager can be used to both flash roms and flash updates. Once rooted you cant get OTA updates which means no updates from Samsung and no updates from your carrier. Occasionally check XDA in the general note 2 group to see if updates have been pushed recently you can typicaly download them from xda. Then put them in the goomanager folder load the app and flash away.

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I do not believe Knox is an app, I should be system software. If you arw bent on romming then when you flash the rom it will generally have bloatware removed. Xda has the rom links. Just make sure to read the forums about bugs and what not before you attempt a flash. Also make sure said rom is for your phone Note 2 and each rom is carrier specific unless otherwise noted.

Bloatware can be removed with titanium backup.

Yea I've been reading a lot about the roms. I might hold off and just stay rooted until more stable 4.4 roms come out.

Truthfully all this has been motivated by not being able to use Google wallet since at&t blocked it. If I could stay on my current os and get nfc paying working I'd be quite happy.

One last question, now that I'm rooted do I need a custom recovery? Or will the stock stuff still work?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Backups as in nandroid backups. Once in CWM or TWRP make a backup just in case anything bad happens, you can go back to the way your phone was when you did the nandroid backup. The first thing you have to do before flashing any ROMs

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Yea I've been reading a lot about the roms. I might hold off and just stay rooted until more stable 4.4 roms come out.

Truthfully all this has been motivated by not being able to use Google wallet since at&t blocked it. If I could stay on my current os and get nfc paying working I'd be quite happy.

One last question, now that I'm rooted do I need a custom recovery? Or will the stock stuff still work?

Stock should be fine. Recovery is more like a built in Odin. With a recovery you wont need to be tethered to a computer to flash roms. But since you arent doing roms for now I dont think you need it.

Att blocked google wallet because our phone is missing a special security device that encrypts rfid data for use with nfc. They dont want you to blame them when your money gets stolen out of your account because some dude is using a portable scanner to steal your banking data.

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Stock should be fine. Recovery is more like a built in Odin. With a recovery you wont need to be tethered to a computer to flash roms. But since you arent doing roms for now I dont think you need it.

Att blocked google wallet because our phone is missing a special security device that encrypts rfid data for use with nfc. They dont want you to blame them when your money gets stolen out of your account because some dude is using a portable scanner to steal your banking data.

Awesome. Guess I won't be fooling with that either.

Guys I appreciate the friendly support and help here. I'll be in touch if I got any other questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles