AT&T Note 2: Installing custom recovery after OTA 4.3

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Installing custom recovery after OTA 4.3

Awesome. Guess I won't be fooling with that either.

Guys I appreciate the friendly support and help here. I'll be in touch if I got any other questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Forgot about one other thing with recovery. If you screw something up and your phone wont boot then recovery is the only thing that can fix it. Might be wise to go ahead and install it with goomanger just to be safe. Even if you never flash a custom rom is gives you a failsafe. Mybad for not saying this earlier.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

so download goomanager and use TWRP to make a nandroid backup(which from my understanding is a complete system image of what my phone was when the backup happened) just to have for safe keeping just in case?

I probably wont be fooling with roms until i read a bit more about the popular ones and their stability.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

so download goomanager and use TWRP to make a nandroid backup(which from my understanding is a complete system image of what my phone was when the backup happened) just to have for safe keeping just in case?

I probably wont be fooling with roms until i read a bit more about the popular ones and their stability.

Cwm is the recovery used to make a nandroid backup. TWRP makes afaik just a custom recovery. Titanium Backup is for your image. Id make a system image now prior to adding or changing anything related to rooting. Id also make a seperate backup exclusive to apps and data. Id suggest a Sandisk Ultra Highspeed 64Gb memory card. Youd thank me if you knew the difference between a fast and slow sd card.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Cwm is the recovery used to make a nandroid backup. TWRP makes afaik just a custom recovery. Titanium Backup is for your image. Id make a system image now prior to adding or changing anything related to rooting. Id also make a seperate backup exclusive to apps and data. Id suggest a Sandisk Ultra Highspeed 64Gb memory card. Youd thank me if you knew the difference between a fast and slow sd card.

TWRP is the same as CWM. It can make nandroid back ups as well. The Nandroid backup is a system image, not Titanium.
Titanium backs up app data, music, contacts and such. I'm pretty sure TBU doesn't do any complete system backups (images)

Posted via Android Central App

tmp3150

Banned
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Is there a way to use the su app, in flash mode? When I boot up, I have a message KNOX warranty void: 1, I am trying to get around that. Any help is appreciated..thanks!

dmxinc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Read this.....Keep in mind you may lose WIFI at first....... Read these threads before you do ANYTHING....
BootLoader Downgrade from 4.3 and keep Wifi and Kill Knox - xda-developers
Install SuperSU.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&token=L4xAXO-d
Read
BootLoader Downgrade from 4.3 and keep Wifi and Kill Knox - xda-developers
Step by Step:
HOW-TO Downgrade from 4.3 OFFICIAL MK6 to LJ2 4.1.1 - xda-developers

Alright, I have been unsatisfied with the note 2 4.3 OTA update from At&t. I spent the entire day today reading up on odin and putting custom recovery on then flashing custom roms to get what i wanted. I decided to pull the trigger after much reading. I fired up ODIN and put the latest TWRP onto my phone.

All of this is after i have been a "good boy" and never touched anything about rooting or custom roms or recoveries. It goes without saying that I am outside my 1 yr warranty so i couldn't careless about that. After installing TWRP via ODIN i rebooted my phone into recovery mode and low and behold TWRP wont boot, and it stays in stock recovery mode. Does this have something to do with KNOX? Do i need to wait till TWRP is updated to compensate for KNOX?

My phone still completely functions but i do have a "custom binary download" of 2 counts (tried installing TWRP a second time after it didnt work the first) and a "KNOX warranty void" 1.

Again my phone is outside of factory warranty and i dont really give 2 ****s about knox anyway. My desire is to get a kitkat rom installed and get google wallet NFC payment functional b/c AT&T really chapped my rear trying to make me use ISIS.

Any help is appreciated in this slightly noob question.

triolight

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Guys, please help me out

after reading several pages and threads I still with one doubt:

I have stock 4.3. mk4. knox bootloader on it.

I was able to root (chainfire) and to install TWRP.

I read everywere that I cannot downgrade, This is clear for me.

But can i install DN3 or Wanam 4.3 custom ROM or knox will still block it?

All customROM will be blocked?

ladyfinesse08

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

So the problem I'm essentially now is I'm rooted but I can't flash a custom recovery. I've tried flashing TWRP and CWM via ODIN and it gives me the pass notification every time. However once I try to boot into custom recovery I boot into the system recovery. Also apps like titanium backup, goomanager, my root backup and stuff wont work for me. I know I have root though as when I boot into recovery it tells me that I'm running a custom binary and shows my flash count along with my 1 time Knox trip.

Last edited:

ladyfinesse08

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

I've tried to use GooManager to install a custom recovery and It keeps freezing on me and telling me that it's installing the recovery (nothing happens though)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20