AT&T Note 2: Installing custom recovery after OTA 4.3

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I have been unsatisfied with the note 2 4.3 OTA update from At&t. I spent the entire day today reading up on odin and putting custom recovery on then flashing custom roms to get what i wanted. I decided to pull the trigger after much reading. I fired up ODIN and put the latest TWRP onto my phone.

All of this is after i have been a "good boy" and never touched anything about rooting or custom roms or recoveries. It goes without saying that I am outside my 1 yr warranty so i couldn't careless about that. After installing TWRP via ODIN i rebooted my phone into recovery mode and low and behold TWRP wont boot, and it stays in stock recovery mode. Does this have something to do with KNOX? Do i need to wait till TWRP is updated to compensate for KNOX?

My phone still completely functions but i do have a "custom binary download" of 2 counts (tried installing TWRP a second time after it didnt work the first) and a "KNOX warranty void" 1.

Again my phone is outside of factory warranty and i dont really give 2 ****s about knox anyway. My desire is to get a kitkat rom installed and get google wallet NFC payment functional b/c AT&T really chapped my rear trying to make me use ISIS.

Any help is appreciated in this slightly noob question.

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Installing custom recovery after OTA 4.3

Yes, it's not working because Knox blocks the attempt to install any custom ROM or recoveries. Not sure if there is a workaround for the AT&T S4 but I have seen people manage to do it on the VZW and Sprint variants

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it's not working because Knox blocks the attempt to install any custom ROM or recoveries. Not sure if there is a workaround for the AT&T S4 but I have seen people manage to do it on the VZW and Sprint variants

That would/will keep me away from Samsung for a while until I read multiple reports that TouchWiz has much less of an impact on performance. It needs a reworking IMO.

CM on OgPro

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

That would/will keep me away from Samsung for a while until I read multiple reports that TouchWiz has much less of an impact on performance. It needs a reworking IMO.

CM on OgPro

Yup, this is my last Sammy phone for sure. Probably going to use my Jump upgrade to get the Moto X, and then just wait for the X2...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I liked the Note 3 and S4 before that just fine. Its just that after using some other devices I felt like TouchWiz was a kind of wall between me and maximum performance. There are some really good things about TouchWiz like its built-in font handling and OTG support. We'll see what Sammy comes up with next.

CM on OgPro

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

So what's the course of action? Do I have to wait till someone cracks Knox before I can install a custom rom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

So what's the course of action? Do I have to wait till someone cracks Knox before I can install a custom rom?

Yeah :\

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I liked the Note 3 and S4 before that just fine. Its just that after using some other devices I felt like TouchWiz was a kind of wall between me and maximum performance. There are some really good things about TouchWiz like its built-in font handling and OTG support. We'll see what Sammy comes up with next.

CM on OgPro

The way I see it, Samsung is going to do everything they can to prevent people from rooting and flashing ROMs, and if that's true, a lot of people will look for another brand next year

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The way I see it, Samsung is going to do everything they can to prevent people from rooting and flashing ROMs, and if that's true, a lot of people will look for another brand next year

I don't see why Sammy should care. ...gets them out of warranty support...you'd think they'd be glad for this.

CM on OgPro

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't see why Sammy should care. ...gets them out of warranty support...you'd think they'd be glad for this.

CM on OgPro

Sammy has never made decisions that make sense :\

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

The whole Knox program is a headache. Some good ideas like the permanent counter, but blocking ROM installs is just plain dumb. I ditched Samsung due to TW being bloated, and I haven't regretted it.

As for the OP, yeah, waiting until there is a fix is what is going to have to happen. Unless you reflash TWRP, and while its on you flash a custom ROM.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The whole Knox program is a headache. Some good ideas like the permanent counter, but blocking ROM installs is just plain dumb. I ditched Samsung due to TW being bloated, and I haven't regretted it.

As for the OP, yeah, waiting until there is a fix is what is going to have to happen. Unless you reflash TWRP, and while its on you flash a custom ROM.

Samsung thought they could pass off their attempt at preventing ROMs as "security"
Should've just made a separate edition with Knox on it. Imagine, Galaxy S4 Business Edition...lol

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Samsung thought they could pass off their attempt at preventing ROMs as "security"
Should've just made a separate edition with Knox on it. Imagine, Galaxy S4 Business Edition...lol

And charge an extra $100 for it. We better stop. We have now almost completely hijacked the thread.

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

That's the problem I have. I've flashed twrp via Odin, after it is flashed I turn phone off and boot up in recovery mode (vol up home and power) and it refuses to go into twrp. It stays in the stock recovery. If twrp took I could flash the rom and be fine but twrp is being blocked or something

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

That's the problem I have. I've flashed twrp via Odin, after it is flashed I turn phone off and boot up in recovery mode (vol up home and power) and it refuses to go into twrp. It stays in the stock recovery. If twrp took I could flash the rom and be fine but twrp is being blocked or something

Knox is blocking it. It's "security" and if someone was trying to get your personal info or use your phone as their own, rooting and flashing ROMs would be a threat. That's why it's blocked

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Knox is blocking it. It's "security" and if someone was trying to get your personal info or use your phone as their own, rooting and flashing ROMs would be a threat. That's why it's blocked

As I understood Knox it was for cubicle world and ensuring that people who use their phones for work would have an extra level of security for sensitive work information.

As for Knox for the regular Joe blow, I didn't think Knox really did any thing at all.

Am I understanding Knox correctly or am I ignorant when it comes to what Knox is supposed to be for.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

As I understood Knox it was for cubicle world and ensuring that people who use their phones for work would have an extra level of security for sensitive work information.

As for Knox for the regular Joe blow, I didn't think Knox really did any thing at all.

Am I understanding Knox correctly or am I ignorant when it comes to what Knox is supposed to be for.

There are two kinds of accounts with Knox. One is for the corporate world like you said. And the second is for the average user, but it still blocks any attempts at any software that isn't official for the same reasons

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think if Knox becomes more and more obstructive, there will be more people leaving Samsung like UJ said.

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Yea Knox has really chapped my *** thus far. I get it if my employer says you can't screw with your phone because it's for work. But I'm an end user of my device and I have this noble notion of using it as I see fit.

I'm faithful that the devs will find a fix but I suck at waiting patiently

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Yea Knox has really chapped my *** thus far. I get it if my employer says you can't screw with your phone because it's for work. But I'm an end user of my device and I have this noble notion of using it as I see fit.

I'm faithful that the devs will find a fix but I suck at waiting patiently

Its easy enough to avoid using Samsung devices. We lose less than nothing by avoiding Knox infested hardware. At least that is my perspective.

CM on OgPro