AT&T Note 2, "unauthorized access to a secure area...."

JimW1956#AC

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
A year ago I bought my AT&T SGH-I317 Note 2. I rooted it right out of the box. All was great! Then a couple weeks ago I thought...hmmmm...maybe I should update to 4.3. I unrooted, did the update to 4.3, made sure it was working, and tried to re-root. I made several attempts, (counter says 7 now) with no success. Then I used the Root Kit available here in the forum. IT WORKED GREAT! :D until I restarted the phone. :-[ The first message was Unfortunately "Superuser has stopped." Tried restarting again after removing the battery for about 10 minutes, same thing. Poked around here in the forum and on the internet, and found reason to suspect KNOX. Went into Download Mode and found this info:

ODIN MODE
Product Name: SGH-I317
Custom Binary Download: YES 7 counts
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Official
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 1
AP Surev: A2 <------(not sure if this one is correct, it was grayed out and VERY small)

I did enough reading for me to conclude that KNOX ( a gift from Sammy in 4.3) is my problem. What are my options? Could I go back to 4.1.2? If so, what is the best, most reliable method to do that. I don't care about warranty anymore, so just solving the problem, and getting root back is my only concern.

I sure would appreciate any help on this issue, Thanks
Jim

JimW1956#AC

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I now have a new problem, I tried the unrooting method here in the forum. Downloaded the 4.1.2 version of Android I was running on the Note 2 when all this started. Used Odin, everything was going very good, and then, Odin said FAILED! I think that happened when ODIN said Bootloader.bin. Tried the same thing again, same result. After both failed attempts at flashing the stock firmware, I got this message, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select Recovery Mode in Kies and try again. Kies is not finding my Note 2. Any thoughts on my next move? Also, I can get the phone into Download Mode, but NOT into Recovery

Thanks

Last edited:

JimW1956#AC

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I got home tonight after thinking about this, and I tried ODIN again, flashing CWM Recovery. It worked, I got into CWM Recovery v 6.0.4.3 and did a factory reset and data wipe, then wiped the Dalvic cache. It seems to be working okay now. I downloaded Root Checker and I have root, and it shows I'm running 4.1.2. Can anybody tell me what I should do now? I just don't want to get everything back on my phone and have a problem in a couple weeks like I did last time. I did all this from reading MANY different post here at Android Central. I appreciate all the time that everybody puts into this forum, and XDA and everyplace I got info to get this phone operational again. I just need a little reassurance about what I've done, and how to check if everything is in fact back to normal.
Thanks,
Jim

tmp3150

Banned
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am getting the same error message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select Recovery Mode in Kies and try again". I flashed the CWM recovery and the phone still won't boot into recovery mode. Where did you get the dexoed firmware? Maybe that will help

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:

JimW1956#AC

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I had 2 firmwares that I had downloaded, 1 from Sammobile and one from XDA I believe. Also I flashed the touch version of CWM. If that may make a difference, not sure. Hope that helps, good luck

Hi,

I am getting the same error message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select Recovery Mode in Kies and try again". I flashed the CWM recovery and the phone still won't boot into recovery mode. Where did you get the dexoed firmware? Maybe that will help

Thanks so much!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463