rooting a phone / custom ROM and warranty issues

Karl Cassar

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm fairly new to this, so would appreciate any help / guides.

I've managed to successfully root my unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100. I was reading articles that I can safely un-root if I have to take the phone back for warranty issues.

I have some questions regarding this:

• Is it still possible to revert and "re-gain" warranty if I install a custom ROM like Cyanogen?
  • Would I be able to go back to how I am today with the stock Samsung firmware? It's currently just updated to 4.4.2.
  • Do I need to "backup" somehow my existing firmware / ROM / recovery mod, so that I can revert later?

I would like to install Cyanogen. However, I would like to know before hand if there are any backups that I should do, so as to avoid any surprises later. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance :)

warn joe

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm fairly new to this, so would appreciate any help / guides.

I've managed to successfully root my unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100. I was reading articles that I can safely un-root if I have to take the phone back for warranty issues.

I have some questions regarding this:

• Is it still possible to revert and "re-gain" warranty if I install a custom ROM like Cyanogen?
  • Would I be able to go back to how I am today with the stock Samsung firmware? It's currently just updated to 4.4.2.
  • Do I need to "backup" somehow my existing firmware / ROM / recovery mod, so that I can revert later?

I would like to install Cyanogen. However, I would like to know before hand if there are any backups that I should do, so as to avoid any surprises later. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance :)

Well, @Karl you are just correct perviously the knox counter of the devices can be reset back to zero but recently I have been hearing that samsung has updated his knox and now the knox counter can't be reset back to the 0 and I would say if you have purchased it recently and rooted your device thinking that you can reset back the knox counter to zero then I think your warranty has been void. Look previously by using some tools it can be reset but now I would say not by a chance because samsung has spotted several cases where people claims the warranty by resetting the knox counter back. So, I would say you must get yourself ready for the surprises.

Karl Cassar

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
My phone will be out of warranty in 2 months, so cross-fingers nothing happens :) That's why im giving it a try now. Plus I updated to Android 4.4.2 and got to know about the new restrictions on SD-card access, and was extremely frustrated and wanted to get out of that because I used a lot a music player to rate songs found on SD card, something which I could no longer do due to this SD-write restriction.

After I installed SuperSU - I was asked to disable KNOX - which I did. Does this make sense?

Was reading a bit on the KNOX counter, although a bit too late now. As you said, there doesn't seem much ways to reset it right now, so might as well go ahead with the CyanogenMod and hope for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2