Top Reason for Getting the Galaxy Note 2

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My top reason for getting the Note 2 is simply this: I want the best, most powerful Smartphone on the planet.

Feature specific though its the size of it that makes me want it so much specifically the screen.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Is battery life on t-mobile better because it does not use LTE and can use wifi for connecting to t-mobile?

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
To toss out the ipad and be more productive

Be serious. What are the situations where you would be more productive with a Note then and iPad? Reading Books? Reading Textbooks? Reading Magazines? Surfing the web? Browsing WIkipedia? Working on spreadsheets or documents? I know people like to be anti-apple on Android boards, but this is silly.

And please don't respond by calling me an apple fanboy. I am dumping my iPhone 4s for a Note2.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Be serious. What are the situations where you would be more productive with a Note then and iPad? Reading Books? Reading Textbooks? Reading Magazines? Surfing the web? Browsing WIkipedia? Working on spreadsheets or documents? I know people like to be anti-apple on Android boards, but this is silly.

And please don't respond by calling me an apple fanboy. I am dumping my iPhone 4s for a Note2.

Who are we to define what someone else considers productive? I know a lot of people who use their iPads for no more than browsing, movies and Facebook and they think THAT'S productive.

I'm not anti Apple by any stretch of the imagination and right now I'm on this forum and FB on my Note...for me on a Sun. night that's me being productive.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Be serious. What are the situations where you would be more productive with a Note then and iPad? Reading Books? Reading Textbooks? Reading Magazines? Surfing the web? Browsing WIkipedia? Working on spreadsheets or documents?

What if all those books, spreadsheets, and documents are on a USB drive? Shall we start a list?

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Who are we to define what someone else considers productive?

I guess its just an outrageous enough comment that I thought I would ask for a little explanation/justification.

What if all those books, spreadsheets, and documents are on a USB drive? Shall we start a list?

How about if you are going on a flight and you have a 7 oz. weight limit on what you can bring? What if you are allergic to the kind of metal Apple uses? I'm sure we can find all sorts of fringe cases where a Note will make you more productive.

But that's not really what he said. He wrote as it he thought he would be generally more productive on the Note. If the bulk of his work is getting files on a USB stick and there is no other way to get at the files other then via a USB stick, then yes, he will be more productive on the Note. But that's a pretty specific use case.

I'm getting a Note because I think I will be more productive on it (well more happy anyhow) then I am on my iPhone 4s. I can give dozens of examples of why that probably apply to most people. I doubt that the same can be said for going from the iPad to the Note. Yes, your USB stick-only user it one example, but it probably doesn't apply to very many people.

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
He wrote as it he thought he would be generally more productive on the Note.

Yes, and he has the right to say so. No one has the right to tell him he wouldn't be. Now maybe he can't edit a small movie like you can on an iPad, but I hope you have all the video and music already downloaded through iTunes, cuz you won't be able to get them into the editing app any other way because you can't download anything unless you use a separate app. And even then you can't import it. Yes, you edit spreadsheets and documents, but if you wanna send it somewhere, hopefully that app has email built in since Apple doesn't let you attach anything but pics in its email app. Nor can you bluetooth it. And I hope you don't need to upload a file anywhere cuz Apple gives you no access to the file system. Or the ability to upload anything besides pictures. You could get a separate app to do that but I hope the file you wanna upload is already in the Documents folder of that app. More and more people have HDMI cables lying around. You wanna hook the Note up for quick presentations or slideshows, just keep the adapter in your pocket, odds favor your buddy having an HDMI cable over having an Apple TV for Airplay with your iPad. If he has the International; version, he has multi-window. You're gonna tell me that's "fringe" also?

I'm coming off a jailbroken iPhone. I mean literally, I sold it yesterday. iOS simply blows without it and even the jailbreak game is not fun anymore. Having to be dependent on iTunes blows. I need functionality out the box.

Last edited:

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and he has the right to say so. No one has the right to tell him he wouldn't be.

A little dramatic, don't you think? I'm certainly not denying him his basic human rights to think whatever he wants to think. I just generally don't believe him for most activities. I wasn't denying him anything, I was challenging him to present some real examples.

In any case, all of your examples come down to two issues.

1) Issues with getting files on the device and off. While it certainly is easier to copy files from your computer to a Note, in this world of dropbox/etc, its pretty trivial to get them onto the iPad as well. And while I haven't used every app out there, the dropbox app will export files to pretty much every app I have tried. Email will as well. Also Safari. And once you get them on there, its really easier to read textbooks or magazine, edit spreadsheets or word documents, mark up PDFs or perfrom other "productivity" type activities on a 10 inch device then it is on a 5.5 inch device. And they pretty much all support upload after you haved worked with them.

2) Issues with you not knowing that there is an HDMI adapter for the iPad just like there is an HDMI adapter for the Note. You wanna hook the iPad up for quick presentations or slideshows, just keep the adapter in your pocket.

In any case, I expect that going from an iPhone to an Note2 is going to be an uptick in every way except for one. Despite all your talk about how easy it is to get stuff onto the Note, iTunes is really useful for organizing and uploading Media (audiobooks, music, video). It would be nice to find something for Android that worked as well. iTunes is also great for backing up your current device and moving to a new one. I am still looking for something similar for Android.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I want one because it looks really awesome. Originally wanted the N4, but this phone is just simply amazing in comparison. Sadly my upgrade is 2 years away, and I'm too broke to get off contract :(

Sent from my HTC One X

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
.....In any case, I expect that going from an iPhone to an Note2 is going to be an uptick in every way except for one. Despite all your talk about how easy it is to get stuff onto the Note, iTunes is really useful for organizing and uploading Media (audiobooks, music, video). It would be nice to find something for Android that worked as well. iTunes is also great for backing up your current device and moving to a new one. I am still looking for something similar for Android.

Interestingly enough I got audiobooks, music and movies onto my Note and not once did I feel hampered because iTunes wasn't part of the process.

Google is also great for backing up. By the time I walked back to my car after purchasing my S'Note, all my contacts and apps were on it. All I needed to do was go home and play.

So yeah.....it was easy.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
A little dramatic, don't you think? I'm certainly not denying him his basic human rights to think whatever he wants to think. I just generally don't believe him for most activities. I wasn't denying him anything, I was challenging him to present some real examples.

In any case, all of your examples come down to two issues.

Me, a little dramatic? No. You, a little rude about his needs and opinion? Yes.

Dropbox? Sure. Hope you have great wi-fi access. Let's not bring up the myth that "wi-fi is everywhere" and yes, Apple's more expensive, proprietary cable is also an option for quick presentations. And being so dependent on iTunes completely defeats the purpose of being mobile. And good luck getting stuff off your iDevice with it, or using it on an unauthorized computer. Google Drive is great for organizing and it's available anywhere. As far as easier editing because of screen size, I'd have no problem. I've written college papers on an iPhone. The Note screen is plenty big, too big for most even.

By the way, Dropbox does export stuff to other apps...by making a copy of it to that app, needlessly taking up drive space.

Last edited:

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough I got audiobooks, music and movies onto my Note and not once did I feel hampered because iTunes wasn't part of the process.

That's good to hear. What app do you use for audiobooks? How do you set up Playlists?

Google is also great for backing up. By the time I walked back to my car after purchasing my S'Note, all my contacts and apps were on it. All I needed to do was go home and play.

So yeah.....it was easy.

That's good news. Is it a specific app or just built into the system? Does it back up all your settings too, or just the apps themselves? If you are going to go to the same type of device (say you lose your note and get a new one) will it know about device settings? Does it say multiple email accounts, or just the google one?

When I upgraded iPhones, I would just plug the new one in, wait 20 minutes and then have it completely set up. Does it work like that? '

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You seem to be getting really bent out of shape because I didn't agree with someone else. Not wanting to be involved in a fight, I'll just exist this branch here. One quick thing.

Apple's more expensive, proprietary cable is also an option for quick presentations.

Both adapters cost $40.

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Both adapters cost $40.

Amazon has one for the S3 (and therefore, the Note 2) for $20. And you didn't just disagree, you called him silly and outrageous, then couldn't back your claims. But whatever. And we didn't talk about batteries yet! How much is a spare iPad battery? :D

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Research the Note 10.1. That is endlessly more productive than the iPad. iPads are media consumption devices. They are more of a toy than a tool. Samsung makes production devices. Much better.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Research the Note 10.1. That is endlessly more productive than the iPad. iPads are media consumption devices. They are more of a toy than a tool. Samsung makes production devices. Much better.

I didn't say anything about Android devices vs iOS devices. I was talking about switching from a 10 inch device to a 5.5 inch one. I said Note above, but this conversations was strictly about the 5.5 inch Note 2 vs the iPad.

I'm switching from an IOS phone to an Android phone, so I can assure you I am not biased towards one over the other.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Amazon has one for the S3 (and therefore, the Note 2) for $20. And you didn't just disagree, you called him silly and outrageous, then couldn't back your claims. But whatever. And we didn't talk about batteries yet! How much is a spare iPad battery? :D

Well, Amazon also has one for the iPad for $15, so there goes "more expensive" again. And I didn't call him silly and outrageous, I said that the idea that a 5.5 inch device was more productive then a 10 inch device was silly.

I'm going to try one more time and then really give up. I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of reasons to buy a Note2. I'm buying one even though it means I am going to have to start all over again buying apps. I'm not saying that there aren't things that a Note 2 can do that an iPad can't do as well. I am personally looking forward to using my iPad less as I use the Note 2 more. What I am saying is that I can't imagine that there are many general use-cases where a 5.5 inch device is more "productive" then a 10 inch one and I wonder which ones AaronSmart is thinking of. I am hoping he will enlighten me, because to me it sounds silly.

And we didn't talk about batteries yet! How much is a spare iPad battery? :D

What the heck do the cost of batteries have to do with productivity?

What I find so amusing about all of this is a good percentage of the people who are getting the Note are doing so because they think they will be more productive on a larger screen. So the thought that I am incredulous about the increases in productivity from down-sizing shouldn't really attract that much venom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca