Very Interested in Note 2. Worried about one handed use!

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm so tempted to wait for this, but I've heard so many things from reviewers saying that it's just way too uncomfortable for constant use. The one handed use ability seems very uncomfortable. Does anyone else have thoughts or perspective on this?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the original Note?

The original Note (which I spent an hour handling at an AT&T store) is thin and comfortable in my small hands. Although I couldn't use it singlehandedly, I might be able to use the slightly narrower Note II with one hand most of the time---after a bit of practice. For my use, the large format is worth some awkward singlehanded use. :)

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Curious, what's all the fuss about needing to use only one hand? Why is it important? I have an original EVO now and use both my hands for operation. One hand to hold, the other to make selections. The Note 2 is really tempting to me, but what am I missing about needing to use only one hand?

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Quick things like a reply to one text or to quickly navigate things you need to check. I'm in college and one hand is how I use my phone in classes. It's all preference really. I know when I switch up to this I'll learn to adapt.

Evil Evo

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I would not get this expecting to use it one handed- exclusively. Although they did make it a bit more narrow, unless you have very large hands, I doubt you can use the GNote 2 with one hand for a sustained period. For me, anything larger than the SGS III means no sustained one handed use. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I would not get this expecting to use it one handed. Although they did make it a bit more narrow, unless you have very large hands, I doubt you can use the GNote 2 with one hand for a sustained period. For me, anything larger than the SGS III means no sustained one handed use. Just my .02 cents.

It will have a feature built in for one handed use. You can shift the keyboard for right or left handed use.

http://youtu.be/OgN8-1-4It0

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The OG GNote has it also. I tried it, but it switching it back and forth from full sized to one handed takes more time than the usefulness for typing IMO. Plus you will still try to use it for apps one handed. I love the size for typing with two hands! Nice and roomy!

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty unless you have MASSIVE hands this phone is not meant to be used with one hand. I like that they included a feature that would make it possible but I don't see a lot of one handed use out of this thing. I do have pretty big hands though so I don't know. That's why some people really don't care for this phablet device. It's "too big". I think it's right around the size phone I'm looking for.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I have very small hands and have no problem with one handed use BUT you can't palm it, you have to sort of cradle it with your fingers. As someone already said,the Note 2 is a more narrow so im sure this was an emphasis when developing. Those Asians have smallish hands too so that probably came into play. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
The only time I would need to do a one hand operation is when I'm driving which is a no no so one hand is not an issue.
Even when I had my iPhone, I never really used my phone one handed.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This might be the first phone that will make me type with two thumbs in portrait mode, currently I only do that in landscape mode. When I see my friend typing with her two thumbs on her iphone 4 I just wonder how she spells anything right, then again, she has tiny hands. I currently have a gs3 and while there are times where I use it with one hand, there's no way I could only use it with one hand only. My thumb just won't make it to the top of the opposite side of the screen. I remember when people complained about the evos 4.3" screen being too big, and here comes Samsung with a huge set of attachments and drops the Note onto the unsuspecting mobile world, and the thing becomes a hit! Those guys take chances and innovate, Apple just sells the same crap over and over, and people buy it. I wonder if the iphone worshippers will ever get tired of buying the same phone over and over. Apple points out in their little promo movie how much detail went into the machining and stuff like that which most iphone users don't give a rats hairy behind about. All that industrial "beauty" gets covered up with some gawdy hot pink cheap case as soon as the phone is bought, but that's what apple has to keep harping on to justify the rather small changes made to the phone. Anyways back to the topic, if you buy a phone as large as the note, don't complain about the screen being too big for one handed use. That's like buying a huge truck and complaining about bad gas mileage. I think the only modern phone that can fully be used with just one hand is the iphone. Maybe that's why it's so popular? After all, texting and driving is soooo important (sarcasm).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

StuckwVerizon

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Since when did we really care about being able to use the phone with just one hand? I think it's all because Apple said their new Iphone 5 can use it with just one hand, everyone thinks you have to use one hand only. BTW, I have Galaxy Nexus and I am able to use it with just one hand without any problem. And when I get my Note 2, I am going to use whatever I want to use. I don't care what Apple thinks, if I want to use one hand or two hands or ask my friend's hands. This is my phone, you don't tell me how to use my phone!

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm just a little disappointed that the note 2's screen is narrower than the note 1. I'm not sure why they did that.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm just a little disappointed that the note 2's screen is narrower than the note 1. I'm not sure why they did that.

Display is 5.5"---slightly larger than original Note's display. Vertical bezel is very narrow which apparently makes the Note II slightly narrower in width. :)

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Display is 5.5"---slightly larger than original Note's display. Vertical bezel is very narrow which apparently makes the Note II slightly narrower in width. :)

Really liked the size of the 5.5, but didn't know it was going to become narrower. I liked the original note size. I might have to wait and see it with my eyes to know if I would buy it or not.

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Physical dimension of the phone IS narrower, by about 2mm. But the width of the screen is about the same, if not a smidge wider. The screen is a bit taller, taking up the space where the capacitive buttons are on the original Note. The overall phone is narrower by 2mm but taller by 4mm.

While I agree that the look of the squarish Note1 gave it a very distinctive look and that the Note2 is much more like a scaled up GalaxyS3, I think the overall phone experience should be better. Huge bump-up in specs plus an improved and re-thought S-pen should make it a great device.