Transitioning from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note 2?

PrisonedMuffin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking at this phone and all I can say is that it looks like a monster of a phone. I've had the iPhone 4S since Christmas and I've been getting pretty bored with it, especially after seeing what the iPhone 5 is all about. I have experience with Android devices: I currently own a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (which doesn't seem as awesome as the Note 2), and I previously owned an OG Droid and a Thunderbolt, but I switched to the iPhone because I was sick of the T-Bolt's battery life (which, unfortunately for me, despite it being a 3G phone, the battery life still sucked) and Siri looked sort of cool (which is now kinda a gimmick to me), and iOS maps is terrible; I also switched because I didn't want to carry around a phone and an iPod touch at the same time anymore. But I think the Note looks awesome; however:

-A huge screen looks great, but I don't think it would fit well in my pants pocket (nor would it be comfortable). I'm not willing to to carry a holster because I think they're a hassle and don't look very good (keep in mind I'm in high school, so style kind of matters to me).
-It would also seem awkward to hold to my ear during a call. I don't want a Bluetooth handset because I don't want to have that thing on my ear all the time. I do have a pair of earbuds with a mic, however.
-I have a large library of music on my iTunes library, so not only do I not know how to transfer iTunes content to Android, I'm also not sure whether or not this would be a very good device for music (for running, working out, ect.). I also don't want to spend the money on another MP3 player.

Unfortunately, other than MAYBE the Lumia 920, there doesn't seem to be a smartphone as awesome as this looks. So how do I do this?

Evo4g

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a large library of music on my iTunes library, so not only do I not know how to transfer iTunes content to Android, I'm also not sure whether or not this would be a very good device for music (for running, working out, ect.). I also don't want to spend the money on another MP3 player.

As far as music goes. You can get a Google music account which will sync your music off of your computer Itunes included (Some older Itunes music, which is protected, will not transfer). It will stream over 3g, 4g or Wifi. In addition to playing the music that you add to your online music library, you can play music stored on your device’s internal storage, so you can listen to music when you don’t have an Internet connection. Although I don't remember how much music it will allow offline.

iPhone4Rocks!

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As far as music goes. You can get a Google music account which will sync your music off of your computer Itunes included (Some older Itunes music, which is protected, will not transfer). It will stream over 3g, 4g or Wifi. In addition to playing the music that you add to your online music library, you can play music stored on your device’s internal storage, so you can listen to music when you don’t have an Internet connection. Although I don't remember how much music it will allow offline.
Are you talking about Google Music? Yeah you could do that or simply just drop all your songs into 1 music folder and simply put it on the SD card haha.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
This based from using a 3gs, 4, 4s and then moving to a Note 1 and hopefully a Note 2 soon.

1. The big screen is great to look at but yes if you are one of those people that like skinny jeans than the phone will print a bit. I have generally all relaxed fit jeans and they don't print much or at all unless you sit down. Sitting isn't uncomfortable but you can plainly see the phone.

2. Actually holding the phone isn't awkward. It is bigger but it puts the mic closer to your mouth and the earpiece closer to your ear, generally call quality is as good or better. As far as looks how weird do people holding a desk phone receiver up look? I personally don't care but earbuds with mic or bluetooth headsets are options. Your carrier is going to have more to say about call quality than any of these things really.

3a. I got a 64gb microSD and this Note is my podcast/ipod device. Hardware size isn't an issue for me, I just put it in pants or shorts pocket. Audio quality is a bit sub par, on silent places you can barely hear the radio noise of something. Hopefully the Note 2 is much better, I didn't see people complaining about the S3 so it likely is.

3b. Software wise you are best off with Doubletwist and going pro to get AirSync and the graphic eq. Or save a bit and just get AirSync, it imports your itunes music and playlists and puts it on your phone (or SD card) via WiFi very easily. This was my impression on Doubletwist/AirSync This is the thread for the discussion of interesting apps.

If you wanted you could try to dork around with some folder sync software like FolderSync which will take your itunes music folder that you share on your computer and sync it to a folder on your phone. I found it to be slow and buggy, went Doubletwist and didn't look back.

PrisonedMuffin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback! This looks like it just very well might be the best phone out there. I was hoping the iPhone 5 would be revolutionary, but I was disappointed because it's only .5 in taller and it has the exact same features as my 4S on iOS 6. Sure, it might be critically acclaimed, it might be the best iPhone yet, and it might be the most powerful smartphone at the moment (at least compared to the US S3) but it seems like more of the same. Plus the Note 2 has a one-handed mode, so I can still use it with one hand, to some extent.

Also, did any of you guys get it in the UK or ordered the international version? I live in the US so I have a bit of waiting to do, so I just want to see if this thing is as good as people say it is.

PrisonedMuffin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually I have a question. I asked earlier whether or not this phone would be good for music while working out and running. Would I be okay with just this or if I would be better off with getting an iPod touch 5 as well?

rablaw

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a great thread. I would also like to move from an iPhone 4S to a Note2. My aging eyes need the large screen, and neuropathic fingertips will appreciate the pen.
BUT, (and its a big but), How do I reliably, and hopefully, simply, move all my calendar entries and contacts, memos and Evernote stuff, from the iPhone to the Note 2? I don't use google for my calendar or contacts (but I do have a google email address), must I in order to make the transition?
I use apple's calendar (along with Week Cal), apple's contacts, and iCloud.
I am assuming that I can drag and drop my music and photos.
Thanks to all who respond.

val02

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
@ raffitou thx for the link. Quite useful

Altho I still haven't figured out how to copy my imap( google map before ios6 ) bookmarks over to a Galaxy Note 2 ...... anyone ?

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I can say hands down, the Galaxy Note II is a revolutionary device. It redefines what it means to own a smartphone today. With that said, it is a very large device. Looks slim in your pocket, buuuut...it is uncomfortable to sit with, hard to run up steps, not every pants works the device. But it is worth it. But coming from the iPhone 4s? I came from a Galaxy S2 4.5" screen.

Doesn't feel awkward to hold to your ear at all. Just a little bit slenderness (compared to original Note) makes this phone look normal next to your head.

Not a good device for working out. It already fell out of my gym shorts when doing bench presses. But great for watching movies on the cardio machine if it has a book stand.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Check out my huge collection of 64GB Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Videos (Demos, Accessory Reviews)

Last edited:

val02

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Not a good device for working out. It already fell out of my gym shorts when doing bench presses. But great for watching movies on the cardio machine if it has a book stand.

I go to the gym as well.... planning on getting one of these. Pick one:-

Waist Packs
417dayx3kXL._AA300_.jpg
p9906602nm.jpg
mKI9bf7K83-vJQzbAFziUjw.jpg

wburleson

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
This is a great thread. I would also like to move from an iPhone 4S to a Note2. My aging eyes need the large screen, and neuropathic fingertips will appreciate the pen.
BUT, (and its a big but), How do I reliably, and hopefully, simply, move all my calendar entries and contacts, memos and Evernote stuff, from the iPhone to the Note 2? I don't use google for my calendar or contacts (but I do have a google email address), must I in order to make the transition?
I use apple's calendar (along with Week Cal), apple's contacts, and iCloud.
I am assuming that I can drag and drop my music and photos.
Thanks to all who respond.

I to have aging eyes, and was wondering if you can increase the fonts on this phone, e.g., Home screen.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I to aging eyes amd was wondering if you can increase the fonts on this phone

Within reason yes. I actually wanted to make fonts etc smaller to really take advantage of the bigger screen. Most good apps have that in settings. I still wish I could zoom out beyond 100% in K-9 and see a whole page in portrait. With the big screen it opens up possibilities that developers aren't quite realizing yet but more every day.

val02

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
... I still haven't figured out how to copy my imap( google map before ios6 ) bookmarks over to a Galaxy Note 2 ...... anyone ?

to answer the Q myself, i found this in another site. Hope its useful for others with similar problems :--

'Jonathan Hamel, iOS developer

As far as I know, it's not possible to export raw data from Google Maps iOS app (from the App Core Data). Built-in apps (e.g.: Stocks, Weather, YouTube, etc.) are pretty much "waterproof".

The only way I see would be to access every points in your bookmarks (touching the little arrow on the right side of the contextual bubble) and to use the "Share Location" feature.

The location profile (Google Places URL) will be shared by email or MMS and a vCard file containing the details (address, phone numbers, etc.) will be attached to the message
.'

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a large library of music on my iTunes library, so not only do I not know how to transfer iTunes content to Android, I'm also not sure whether or not this would be a very good device for music (for running, working out, ect.). So how do I do this?

There are two free apps, available on both Windows and Mac, that will let you copy your music, photos, etc. off the phone to your computer. Get iTools (from iTools.hk) and iFunbox. I found iTools to be the easiest for getting your music off.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
There are two free apps, available on both Windows and Mac, that will let you copy your music, photos, etc. off the phone to your computer. Get iTools (from iTools.hk) and iFunbox. I found iTools to be the easiest for getting your music off.

I think these are unnecessary if you already have the music off the phone in iTunes. They are handy if all you have is the iPod or the phone for example.

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think these are unnecessary if you already have the music off the phone in iTunes. They are handy if all you have is the iPod or the phone for example.

True. But they're indispensable if you wanna store songs on a new, different, or restored computer in the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy