USB OTG & OEM Samsung MHL HDMI HDTV Adapter Review

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a Cozy brand 5-pin USB OTG cable from the Samsung A/S Center in South Korea. Interesting enough, they didn't sell their own. So anyway, seems to work great. I made a video showing just how awesome a wireless keyboard and mouse works on the Note 2, particularly the split screen which can all be enabled and works so much better with a mouse.

Video Review:
USB OTG on Galaxy Note 2 (Wireless Keybard Mouse, External Storage Drive) - YouTube

I also bought an OEM MHL HDMI HDTV adapter (11-pin) from Samsung. I saw that they only had the one for the Galaxy S3, and I asked them if it was compatible with the Note 2 that I had. They said no, and that I should wait for the Note II one with a different model number. When I tried to buy it, they refused to sell it to me saying they didn't want to have to deal with a possible return. So knowing that I know more than who I was talking to having done my research, I came back a few hours later, saw a different person at the desk, and just told them I was going to buy the Galaxy S3 one. There are definitely some interesting things I learned with this cable. Seems to only want to do 1080i on my 1080p computer monitor over HDMI at 60Hz. But the upside is, 60Hz is very smooth. I keep hearing that on the S3, 1080p was choppy. I'm not sure if this is the case on our mighty fine Galaxy Note 2's with a faster processor and GPU.

Video Review:
HDTV HDMI MHL Cable for Galaxy Note 2 Review - YouTube

Additional Info:
  • The Galaxy Note 2 supports both 11-pin and 5-pin micro USB connectors.
  • The USB OTG (On-The-Go) adapters only come in 5-pin, and works fine with the Galaxy Note 2.
  • I connected the OTG adapter to a USB hub, which was fine, and 2 different devices worked fine independently, but not both at the same time. My guess is, it is a power limitation that the Galaxy Note 2 provides through the micro USB jack.
  • If you want to buy a HDTV (MHL HDMI) adapter for the Galaxy Note 2, it is the exact same adapter for that Galaxy S3 that is 11-pin, even though the model numbers are different. 5-pin MHL adapters don't work on the Galaxy Note 2.
  • The HDTV adapter comes with a micro USB jack (5-pin), but although you may think it is a great idea to plug an OTG cable in there, it doesn't work that way. You MUST plug in your power cable. Why it was hard for me to find this info on the net or a youtube, I'm not sure. I guess I should have read the manual, but I think was more of a design thing. You wouldn't read a manual on how to plug in cables for plugging in HDMI cables and micro USB would you?
  • I can only get 1080i working at 60Hz even though I know for sure my monitor does 1080p. If someone can get it working with 1080p I would like to know how smooth it is. 1080i@60Hz is actually pretty smooth (I think 60 fps).
  • When outputting video, it only grabs the video stream, so it won't output overlayed subtitles on the TV monitor.
  • The Galaxy Note 2 gets pretty warm, maybe hot, especially because it is charging through the MHL cable that is powered.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Check out my huge collection of 64GB Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Videos (Demos, Accessory Reviews)

Last edited:

Ali Sadeghi

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: USB OTG & OEM Samsung MHL HDMI HDTV Adapter Review

Hi,

I bought '2M MHL Micro USB to HDMI HDTV Adapter Cable SPC-0281' but I am not sure how to connect it to TV.
I tried the HDMI IN connection 1 and 2 but it does not work. I am not sure if this is a phone setting or TV setting.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

I bought '2M MHL Micro USB to HDMI HDTV Adapter Cable SPC-0281' but I am not sure how to connect it to TV.
I tried the HDMI IN connection 1 and 2 but it does not work. I am not sure if this is a phone setting or TV setting.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

brolan

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
i want to be able to view the LIVE video (not recorded video) from my Note 2's camera app on a TV with HDMI. do you know if this is possible with the HDMI adapter?

thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781