Motorola to Samsung... Kinda nervous!

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Ive always had Motorola but since the s3 and now the note 2 they aren't keeping up. I've heard so many good things that I've decided to switch from my razr maxx to my pre ordered note 2!!

The reason im nervous is everyone i know that has or had a samsung has a cracked screen!!!!!
I'm not sure how its possible since they are supposed to use the same gorilla glass. Motorola definitely has a way better build quality and that's why i run them naked. Now i don't know what to expect from the new note 2. Can i drop it once or twice and not worry about a smashed screen???
Probably not, sadly im thinking i have to go with a case and that's not going to make this pocket friendly.
Any comments on samsungs build quality?

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
You know a lot of careless people it seems. I don't have a screen protector on my current Galaxy S3, never had one on my old Galaxy S2 and probably won't put one on my Galaxy Note II when it arrives.

As to your question of Samsung's build quality, it might not feel the most premium in hand but their phones do withstand a lot. That being said, as with all gadgets, it depends on the owner how long they last.

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
You know a lot of careless people it seems. I don't have a screen protector on my current Galaxy S3, never had one on my old Galaxy S2 and probably won't put one on my Galaxy Note II when it arrives.

As to your question of Samsung's build quality, it might not feel the most premium in hand but their phones do withstand a lot. That being said, as with all gadgets, it depends on the owner how long they last.

I don't think a screen protector protects the screen from cracking. All i know is it seems that if they get dropped the screen cracks... Is that going to be the case with all samsungs? Ive never been a smartphone samsung owner so looking for input from past owners and their luck with the build quality. Thanks

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The screens on the premium phones are getting larger while the glass is getting thinner to reduce phone thickness and take out weight.
If you drop any of these new premium large screen phones, without some type of protection, they will break (unless you get lucky).

In describing the different premium phones I don't like the term "build quality" because it implies that one is built better than the other. There all probably built on adjoining factories in southeast asia. The difference is that some phones are made with premium materials (RAZR HD line, iphone).

If you like a "naked" phone I would probably go with the Moto RAZR Maxx HD. It is made with premium materials like Kevlar & alluminum that give it a solid high end feel.
But it will break if dropped just like any other phone. More so than the previous RAZR line according to members in their forum. It only makes sense that it is more fragile since it has more glass with it's larger screen.
I love the phone but since I would put it in a case that would take away one of the few advantages it has over the Samsungs.
Putting the Samsungs in a case allows the owner to choose their own material finish and leaves only the big beatiful screen and wonderful feature list to compare.
That made me lean to Samsung.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get the best vibe with the lack of replies...
Maybe the glass is cheaper?
I did see a note 2 drip video and it survived. I guess ill find out how well the cheap plastic built phones last

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get the best vibe with the lack of replies...
Maybe the glass is cheaper?
I did see a note 2 drip video and it survived. I guess ill find out how well the cheap plastic built phones last

If you drop any LARGE screen phone and it doesn't break you are just lucky. A larger screen like those of the Samsungs are more prone to break that a small screen. But now all smartphones are going to larger screens like the Samsungs.
Those drop videos are not performed with any scientific rigor. It's just a random drop on corner, front or back.
If any unprotected phone falls the right way from the right height it will break.

azntoyhere

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Every since I had my Samsung s3, I had drop a total of about 12 times due to clumsiness. And it was at all different height levels also a couple of times on concrete and one time on my weights. And I only have one little unnoticeable nick on the very bottom of my phone. I think my phone has more scratches due to my niece plays with it more then anything else. Although if I were you, I should just get a back cover because the material is scratch easy, which is expected for most phones anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Probably not, sadly im thinking i have to go with a case and that's not going to make this pocket friendly.

I've never had a problem with the materials used on Samsung phone's, and the Note 2 in particular feels high quality to me.

And the right case won't interfere with getting the phone in/out of pockets. I bought the Body Glove TPU case when I pick up my phone; great case.

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
If you drop any LARGE screen phone and it doesn't break you are just lucky. A larger screen like those of the Samsungs are more prone to break that a small screen. But now all smartphones are going to larger screens like the Samsungs.
Those drop videos are not performed with any scientific rigor. It's just a random drop on corner, front or back.
If any unprotected phone falls the right way from the right height it will break.

All phones except apple are large screen phones. Ive dropped my Motorola s alot and never once cracked the glass. Ive seen apple , htc, and samsungs all cracked alot

coop486

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I switch over to the S3 after have a Motorola phone for the past year. Also moved my wife over to the S3. She dropped the phone twice within a couple days of having it. 2nd drop on our basement floor cracked the screen.

I went back and forth on getting the S3 and even considered getting an HTC phone after having a positive experience previously. I love the power of the S3. It just feels a little too light and delicate for my tastes. Also, I wish they went with virtual buttons, not sure why they felt a physical button was neccessary.

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It must depend on the user not the phone. Ive owned a Pre, an Evo, a SGS2 and now the note 2 and never have I once cracked a screen. I dont use screen protectors anymore as theye been proven (to at least me) to not do much good. I drop my phone all the time so I always have like a back case to not scuff up the sides or the back but the screen will be fine, that is, unless you are really THAT clumsy.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
All phones except apple are large screen phones. Ive dropped my Motorola s alot and never once cracked the glass. Ive seen apple , htc, and samsungs all cracked alot

Whem I'm speaking of large screen I'm referring to the latest generation of +4.6" diagonal screen phones (HTC One Series, Moto RAZR HD Series, Samsung Galaxy S3) of which the S3 that you originally referenced is king.
The glass on those phones if unprotected will break in most cases if it falls on the face or an edge from 4ft (standing hand height) or higher. Now of course it depends on the surface and some will get lucky but phones with that much surface area of glass will break if unprotected.
There is a Motorola forum discussion on the fragility of glass in the new larger HD line http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr-maxx-hd/220989-very-fragile-screen.html.
So Motorola is not immune.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney