Seidio Releases Cases for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 [New Color Options Available]

MisterJiggyFly

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Decide for yourselves folks. I'm pretty disappointed and will be returning my Surface case for something without magnets.

Also, in case the pictures aren't clear: the magnet is opposite the red box drawn, beneath the text and lines. The lines drawn directly over the magnet won't show distortion because they are affected approximately equally on both sides (unlike handwritten text), but the lines on either side of the magnet are obviously distorted outward.

Attachments

• 2012-12-06-12-51-18.png
    2012-12-06-12-51-18.png
    449.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2012-12-06-12-51-25.png
    2012-12-06-12-51-25.png
    644.5 KB · Views: 53

MisterJiggyFly

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly that was not very scientific but I personally noticed the distortion pretty quickly with real world use. Here are some more precise mappings of the effect of the kickstand magnet. It looks more subtle here, but for me it has an obvious impact on my handwriting in that area.

Like I said you have to be the judge and weigh your use of the pen against value of the kickstand. Sorry for posting twice in a row.

Attachments

• 2012-12-06-13-24-58.png
    2012-12-06-13-24-58.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 2012-12-06-13-22-36.png
    2012-12-06-13-22-36.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 114

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm that's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, I have this case on it's way to me I just need the phone now :) I will be getting it at Xmas but the distortion wouldn't bother me that much as my writing and drawing is so bad that I would never be able to tell.

I really like the look of the Surface case and in not adding bulk is important as well, I need to order a screen protector now.

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm that's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, I have this case on it's way to me I just need the phone now :) I will be getting it at Xmas but the distortion wouldn't bother me that much as my writing and drawing is so bad that I would never be able to tell.

I really like the look of the Surface case and in not adding bulk is important as well, I need to order a screen protector now.
I don't think the magnet will be an issue with users who aren't heavy note takers. It wasn't something I would've ever noticed using the phone as a media device.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the magnet will be an issue with users who aren't heavy note takers. It wasn't something I would've ever noticed using the phone as a media device.

I agree with you there I can see me using the pen for quick notes or new recipies that I see in a bookshop without buying the book I could just jot it down :) I was under the impression that the pen just didn't work in that area so this is great news as I love the look of that case.

Mwow

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you there I can see me using the pen for quick notes or new recipies that I see in a bookshop without buying the book I could just jot it down :) I was under the impression that the pen just didn't work in that area so this is great news as I love the look of that case.

Depends on who you're asking. For me, it just didn't work in that area. The pics that were posted above are not a solid representation of what others are experiencing.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Depends on who you're asking. For me, it just didn't work in that area. The pics that were posted above are not a solid representation of what others are experiencing.

Ahh ok well I will just have to wait and see!!!!

It is annoying that Seidio didn't test this properly!

MisterJiggyFly

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I find it hard to believe that your pen flat out didn't work in the area around the magnet. Mine certainly has slightly reduced sensitivity, but I have no trouble inking over the area. Perhaps there is something wrong with your pen? After all, it's a magnet, not a black hole, and these cases, phones, and pens are all the same.

Regardless, the second picture clearly shows that my handwriting is drastically impacted in this area, and we know that many people are reporting issues of varying severity. The people who aren't having issues likely haven't used their pen quite as much or as carefully.

That was me trying pretty hard to make it look nice. I found it immediately apparent that the magnet was causing distortion just by writing in the quarter-sized area that is affected. I'm pretty baffled that Seidio didn't detect any issues before they sent this out. I'm not trying to stop people from buying the case, just spread awareness that magnets and Wacom don't play nice. If you think you'll be using the pen and the large screen for note taking or drawing, I can't recommend the Surface case based on my experience.

Mwow

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that your pen flat out didn't work in the area around the magnet. Mine certainly has slightly reduced sensitivity, but I have no trouble inking over the area. Perhaps there is something wrong with your pen? After all, it's a magnet, not a black hole, and these cases, phones, and pens are all the same.

Regardless, the second picture clearly shows that my handwriting is drastically impacted in this area, and we know that many people are reporting issues of varying severity. The people who aren't having issues likely haven't used their pen quite as much or as carefully.

That was me trying pretty hard to make it look nice. I found it immediately apparent that the magnet was causing distortion just by writing in the quarter-sized area that is affected. I'm pretty baffled that Seidio didn't detect any issues before they sent this out. I'm not trying to stop people from buying the case, just spread awareness that magnets and Wacom don't play nice. If you think you'll be using the pen and the large screen for note taking or drawing, I can't recommend the Surface case based on my experience.

Let me repeat what I just said about people's experiences with the spen interference..."it depends on who you're asking".

Also, I've tried it with two different phones (with two different spens) and it was the same result. To clarify...in that area it was choppy/inconsistent spen writing with sections we're no input would register.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Let me repeat what I just said about people's experiences with the spen interference..."it depends on who you're asking".

Also, I've tried it with two different phones (with two different spens) and it was the same result. To clarify...in that area it was choppy/inconsistent spen writing with sections we're no input would register.

I echo those results

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

bladerealm124

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Finally got my Verizon note 2 last night. Active case should be coming in the mail today. Is there any risk of permanent damage due to the magnetic interference? It's clear that this is not an isolated issue. What steps is Seidio taking to correct this? Are they offering to pay for return shipping and refunds? If it causes permanent damage will they be willing to cover the cost of repair/replacement? Was super excited about the active case until I read the numerous posts regarding interference.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I doubt permanent damage would result but Seidio hasn't chimed in for a few days with a possible resolution so who knows.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My Surface case in on it's way to me in the UK at this moment but after reading this thread with all the issues I am going to return it for a refund as I am also concerned about any permanent damage so I am not going to risk it. The sad thing is I love the style and look of this case so does anyone have any other ideas for a good case but it must not add much bulk as the surface was very slim, Seidioseidio is conspicuous by his absence!

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I hardly ever use the S Pen but decided to go with the Flexishield when I read about the magnet issue. No kickstand with the Flexishield but I love the case.

seidioseidio

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I doubt permanent damage would result but Seidio hasn't chimed in for a few days with a possible resolution so who knows.

While we have seen some users with issues, there are others that have reported no issues. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but there are no modifications with regard to the magnet/kickstand being made to the cases at this time.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
While we have seen some users with issues, there are others that have reported no issues. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but there are no modifications with regard to the magnet/kickstand being made to the cases at this time.

That's fair enough it is strange how some have no issues at all I just hope I don't get any issues as it is a cracking case and one that I want to use but I will have to wait until Xmas day to get my phone :)

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the Surface case. Ordered it on day one. I have 3 S Pens (one from the note 2, one from the note 10.1 and one in the larger holder). All 3 pens work just fine, with no issues on my phone. Reception is just fine. again, i think it may be unique to each phone or pen.

as for getting the case off, that is a bugger. the trick is to push it together (like you are trying to make it even tighter, then push down on the back while pulling it off), after you do it a dozen times it will get easier.

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Think there's any way to pry that magnet out and get a little piece of velcro or something in there? I've found that when I flip the kick stand out and write, no problem with that area of the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670