Does your Galaxy Note II GT-N7100 overheat?

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
Just got my GT-N7100 a few days ago. I noticed that the upper part of the phone (where my ear rests when I talk) heats up rather quickly. Is this something that others have experienced? Is it normal?

My old HTC Inspire 4G would stay cool for a relatively long time.

I understand that the Note II is powerful, and I love the phone, but the heat concerns me.
Should I worry or is it common? I can still return it to the vendor.

Thanks.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I would think that if this were a common experience, it would have been mentioned in the last month. What are you doing while it gets hot? I'm assuming you're on a call from how you described it. I've been on the phone for over an hour, no headset and it didn't overheat. Your phone would concern me too.

Hope that helps.

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine has never got hot. Maybe just slightly warm, but it wouldn't even be sufficient to warm my hands on a cold day, unlike my other phones that got hot, and would be uncomfortable or too hot to hold at certain spots.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Check out my huge collection of 64GB Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Videos (Demos, Accessory Reviews)

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
My note 1 got pretty warm verging on hot when I had a couple of apps locked up. Haven't experienced anything like that on this phone though.

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I believe that's where the processor is. Mine will get hot in that area if I have been playing a game for a while. Usually angry birds.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets warm if playing a game while charging (Mid to upper 30s according to temp monitor lite), but it's by no means hot.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine will get warm when doing intensive gaming or high bitrate HD video, but never hot per se. The S3/Note 2 Exynos SoC uses a technology called High-K+ Metal Gate, which causes a lot less voltage leakage than other SoC designs, and since voltage is dissipated as heat this is why they run cooler than other smartphones (and have better battery life). Anandtech wrote a piece about the iPad 2,4 revision which uses the same technology and gave a really great explanation of High-K+ MG.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
That would also explain why the Note 2 charges so fast. I thought it was just a function of the 2 amp charger, but it's still plenty fast with the 1 amp charger from my S2.

sbuxreg

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
i have the sprint version and mine seems to get warm in the exact same place. i wouldn't say hot by any means but def. warm. sees to be when it's searching for service this happens.

Martinezma99

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the AT&T version and it gets warm but never has been hot compared to other phones. In fact, come to think of it, it is the coolest phone I have ever owned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

AaronSmart

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
For how large it is, it's quite cool. Especially compared to the 4s. The I phone 5 I found stayed cool, but that's partly because I barely used it :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happens to me but only when im playing games like NFS while charging and with data turned on. Otherwise the phone stays cool. I've learned to delay gratification a while and charge my phone first before resuming play. :p

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't play large games on my phone, I play card games, bingo but not yet since I just got my phone but while I was checking out a few things on my phone it did get warm the top by where the battery sits. So I sat it down for a while and it cooled down.

Sending from my White Sexy Galaxy Note 2.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It felt a little warm after playing some games for an extended time, but the system temp was still well under 40?c (I think it was 37). I used to hit 45?c all the time on my E4GT, many times without even running any apps.

tkfisher

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue and almost returned it. But by paying attention to the apps which were draining the battery the most, I stopped using those and problem solved. Mine was running at low 40s idle and almost 50 when using it for menial tasks. Now it runs low 30s/below 30 at idle

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol