Difference between broken screen and broken LCD? =((

Bucncane

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
So after 12 hours of playing with the phone, I dropped it and my screen shattered in 3 different places. The phone still turns on and everything works except the screen is destroyed.

Ebay has two sets of items available. A replacement screen + LCD for like 250 bucks or a replacement screen for 35 bucks. How do I know if my digitizer and LCD are ok and just my screen is broken? Obviously I'll just go through my ty AT&T insurance if the LCD is broken because why pay 250 when I can pay 200, but if it's just the screen then 40 seems like a much better option.

Any ideas?

PS.

So bummed. :':):)':):)':)(

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
There is an LCD. That is what the picture is displayed on. On top of that is a digitizer. This is what normally breaks. This is what has broken if the picture is fine, you just have cracks above it.

Replacing the digitizer isn't the most difficult repair. You open the phone, use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the edges, and then remove it. There's always risk it might break further and damage the LCD. You might stress the LCD and cause a crack while prying it off.

Might be worth the $35 to try and repair it. Things blow up, file an insurance claim.

Here's a video that gives you an idea. He replaced the LCD and digitizer. You would just be removing the top piece. Other videos show just the digitizer.
How to Replace Screen Digitizer on Galaxy S3! - YouTube

Last edited:

Bucncane

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Me either, it was a drop onto gravel from about 3.5 ft but it is just destroyed. Bleh. Thanks for the link tndank. I'll see what I can do with it.

rabenoja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've cracked the glass also from a short 2.5 ft drop. Looks like everything works as it should but there is just major glass breakage.

Please let me know if you end up switching the glass successfully.

rabenoja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They do have some cases available, as I've learned after the dropping my phone. It seems that for my particular drop even a soft case would have saved the screen. It landed right on the top right corner. Anyway, lesson learned...I'm ordering a case online.

webb3201

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just did the same thing....was in my horizontal jacket pocket and I bent over to pick up something in the garage. Thing fell about 3 feet and screen shattered. Really mundane fall...I have dropped many other phones in much more dramatic fashion!

avilb18

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I got like a spider web crack all over the front of my nexus 4 I can't move anything or touch anything but I can still see a display and I can still turn my phone on and off ur the power button I just ordered a screen just the glass front for 30$ but Idk what's broke my LCD my digitizer or just a screen please help ?

luisandres

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
It is not easy how to change the screen although it took me a while to learn to do it right. I destroy 3 lcd's before I got to do it clean. But I've learned the right way. If you can see the screen turned on the lcd still good. If not you have to replace the whole thing.
Good luck any other questions ask me. I buy sell and repair phones.

Vashy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I broke the Screen and Don't see any display (Blank) and phone is not working but I did hear some beeps (may be updates or messages) but the phone getting on as the LED's at the bottom are glowing. Do I need replace the LCD + Digitizer + Screen?
Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Tony Young

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Vashy,
I have the same problem the touch screen was broken, the lcd i can see was cracked. It turned on i could hear the music for start up but it was all black with a little bit of back light. I was wondering if thats the same for you and what you found out?

samsungs418

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
so I dropped my Samsung s4 like barley a foot on my carpet and it even had a case the screen is black but all the leds still work any idea what the problem is??

Joebear4

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
So I cracked my s6 edge and want to fix it my self. Like these guys I would like to know if I just need the screen or what ever else. As it sits the screen is cracked, the screen is also green but by muscle memory I can still use it... I've seen videos/walkthroughs of how to do it, I've got a wish list of tools needed to do the job but don't know if I just need a screen or the LCD screen and digitizer with housing??? Please help and let me know what you think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy