Pen Sensitivity, Unresponsive

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey All!

So iPhone 4s user here, very bored with my phone, really seriously considering buying a Galaxy Note 2. I went to the store today to try it out and love it! It was a bit large but I could definitely get used to it.

Anyway, I really like the idea of the stylus and thought it would make swype-like keyboards and navigation much faster and more precise but I found the pen to be extremely unresponsive. I was a bit annoyed by the amount of force I had to apply to the screen and pen to register a good contact. Have you guys found this to be a common issue? It's not a deal breaker for me but it would definitely limit my use of the Pen, which I was looking forward to using.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I love the pen.I've been using it most of my time on my G3. And it's been my experience that extra-light pressure works as effectively as extra-heavy.

Sent from my GT-I9300

sir6string93

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I must say I see where you are coming from. However, I like that about the pen, it gives it a more "pen" or "pencil" feel that you get out of a real pen or pencil. And if you look very close, you can see pen stroke pressure (thickness in the line).

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I must say I see where you are coming from. However, I like that about the pen, it gives it a more "pen" or "pencil" feel that you get out of a real pen or pencil. And if you look very close, you can see pen stroke pressure (thickness in the line).

I think that is an excellent feature, very nice touch by samsung. I just expected it to be more responsive since I'm not exactly writing on a piece of paper on a table. Maybe I just write soft. I would probably get used to it with time.

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't have a note 2 yet, but have tested out the demo at Sprint store, and I don't recall having to press hard to have the phone recognize it. Does it seem less responsive to everything or particular apps/keyboards/etc?

Also do you have a screen protector of some sort? This could also be another factor if you have a screen protector.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't have a note 2 yet, but have tested out the demo at Sprint store, and I don't recall having to press hard to have the phone recognize it. Does it seem less responsive to everything or particular apps/keyboards/etc?

Also do you have a screen protector of some sort? This could also be another factor if you have a screen protector.

I noticed it overall not being responsive but it was most noticeable in the keyboard when precision is key. I thought it was just the phone but I tried both. Maybe both were just worn out from people playing with them.

No protector. Store phone.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it overall not being responsive but it was most noticeable in the keyboard when precision is key. I thought it was just the phone but I tried both. Maybe both were just worn out from people playing with them.

No protector. Store phone.

The S-pen is actually very responsive in everyday use. Remember, the Note is using Wacom technology, which is arguably the best digital pen writing technology available today.

I have used the Note since the original on Att back in February, and I now own the Note 2. I use it for note taking in meetings with excellent precision.

Because the original pen was not as easy to hold I purchased the s-pen holder kit (available on Amazon or Ebay) to give the pen a more realistic feel when writing. The pen on the Note 2 is vastly improved, but I still use the holder kit for serious note taking in meetings, and the embedded pen for quick notes when carrying the holder kit is not practical.

The thing is you have to use it and find your rhythm with the pen. But let me warn you, once you start really using it, you will want to use nothing else.

In fact, I even purchased the Note 10.1, and it allows me to sync notes I take on one device with the other device so I always have all my notes together.

Let us know what you decide.

Irish1842

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey All!

So iPhone 4s user here, very bored with my phone, really seriously considering buying a Galaxy Note 2. I went to the store today to try it out and love it! It was a bit large but I could definitely get used to it.

Anyway, I really like the idea of the stylus and thought it would make swype-like keyboards and navigation much faster and more precise but I found the pen to be extremely unresponsive. I was a bit annoyed by the amount of force I had to apply to the screen and pen to register a good contact. Have you guys found this to be a common issue? It's not a deal breaker for me but it would definitely limit my use of the Pen, which I was looking forward to using.

I actually had sort of a similar experience at the store. I had no problems with hand writing at all, but trying to use the pen to select options within S note, for example, seemed difficult. The phone often wouldn't respond to my first tap with the pen, whereas using my fingers everything was perfectly responsive. I also had some trouble registering double taps on the home screen to open up a quick note. It could just be that I'm not used to using the pen, though I've seen a few video reviews where the user has to make multiple attempts to open apps or select icons with the pen. They could be having the same issue though - maybe just not used to it. I look forward to playing with it again once it comes out on Verizon.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey All!

I actually had sort of a similar experience at the store. I had no problems with hand writing at all, but trying to use the pen to select options within S note, for example, seemed difficult. The phone often wouldn't respond to my first tap with the pen, whereas using my fingers everything was perfectly responsive. I also had some trouble registering double taps on the home screen to open up a quick note. It could just be that I'm not used to using the pen, though I've seen a few video reviews where the user has to make multiple attempts to open apps or select icons with the pen. They could be having the same issue though - maybe just not used to it. I look forward to playing with it again once it comes out on Verizon.

beandoc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The first time I used a Note 2 was at a Sprint store. I noticed that their security device, located in the back center of the phone, caused a GREAT deal of interference with the S pen. There was probably at least a 3-4 square cm area on the screen that was completely unresponsive secondary to the presumed magnetic field created by the security device.

Just a thought for those having difficulty with demo models.

sir6string93

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that is an excellent feature, very nice touch by samsung. I just expected it to be more responsive since I'm not exactly writing on a piece of paper on a table. Maybe I just write soft. I would probably get used to it with time.

I guess that could be it. Now looking back at it, when I got my note 2 a few weeks ago, it took me a few days to get used to the pen.

Irish1842

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The first time I used a Note 2 was at a Sprint store. I noticed that their security device, located in the back center of the phone, caused a GREAT deal of interference with the S pen. There was probably at least a 3-4 square cm area on the screen that was completely unresponsive secondary to the presumed magnetic field created by the security device.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. I really hate those gigantic security devices...makes it so hard to get a good feel of a phone, especially one as big as the Note 2. They're still better than my local Best Buy though, that just has a bunch of stickers plastered on the screens. :confused:

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

beandoc, you are a genius! I never thought of that and looking back that makes complete sense. The middle around the magnetic section was definitely where I was noticing issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang