Battery/Charging Questions

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the note 2 since the 27th of October and have yet to have any issue with charging. Now all the sudden in 7 hours my phone will only charge from 13% to 52%, with the stock wall adapter. Does any one have any ideas?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like maybe the screen was kept on, or the phone was doing a lot of processing when you were charging it. And it also sounds like you were using a weak charging method.

Use the charger that came with your phone. If you are using an old charger (like an iPhone charger or Galaxy S2 charger), it charges 3x slower. Also, charging over USB port on your computer is even slower than that. Same thing for car chargers. They are usually weak.

It also sounds like your phone was used when charging. For example, you can expect the phone charge in 8 hours over a USB port when the screen is turned off, but if you put your screen at 100% brightness, your phone probably won't charge much. Maybe it'll still lose battery percentage. Putting it on a weak charger will only help slow the battery drain and won't be able to charge it if the phone is being used heavily.

Do a deep cycle charge, let it drain down to 5-15%, and charge over AC with the charger that came with the phone until it reaches 100%. This will help refresh any lost capacity with irregular charging patterns.

Here's my video on best battery charging practices.
Galaxy Note 2 Tips & Tricks (Episode 4: Get Better Battery Life, Best Charging Practices) - YouTube

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
While, I do appreciate the response I had stated that I am using the stock wall adapter, as in the charger that came with the phone. I actually know a great deal about batteries and charging methods. I was more inquiring on whether it was a phone issue or battery issue.

To give a full rundown, I started charging my phone at 11 pm, at 13%. I had the cache cleared, all multitasking apps closed and my ram cleared. I put my phone down and turned the screen off for the evening until 6 am. It was plugged in and charging for over 7 hours, on the charger that came with the phone and it only charged from 13% to 52% or so. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it! Also I'm new here but have had a smartphone since BlackBerry had a track wheel on the side with the black and white screen :)

Haucore

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the very same issue. During my charge I would power down and compare it to my wife's gn2. Hers is charged from 10% to full in roughly 2 hours while left on and seeding 5 torrent files. Mine was at 45% in the same 2 hours. I did everything but always yeild the same results. I took it back to TMO and they said what the last poster just said. It's frustrating when people don't listen to you the first time lol I got to exchange my gn2 for a new one and never had the same problem. Rough break, you might just have a defective GN2 :(

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, glad to know I'm not the only one having an issue. What is weird is that my car charger will charge it in the same amount of time it always has. I'll give it another try tonight and hit tmobile after work if the issue persist. I really am trying to avoid getting a refurb since the device is over 14 days

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The only troubleshooting tip I can offer is, are you using the exact same charging block and cable your wife is using? If you swapped places, would it yield the same results (yours charges ultra slowly and hers normally)? It's not impossible that either the charger or the cable is defective or damaged.

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
So I figured I would update this forum and tell everyone I found the problem to be the charging block. I used the gf's s3 charger and while it took longer it reached full charge overnight while hers only partially charged. Thanks for the help though! I work for an oil company and I got all excited that this phone would last all day without having to use a car charger and decrease my over all battery life, so I was pretty bummed I couldn't go to work with a full charge. Anyways, thanks yall

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here, last night it charged just fine at 1500ish mAh/ hr while the previous night it took 7 hrs to fully charge it. And it was charging at 7.9%/hr. It does that. But shouldnt. Hmmm.. :confused:

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The first night my brother got his Note 2 he had this exact same issue. The problem was the phone was detecting the wall charger as a USB connection and was charging at 1/4th the proper amperage that it should be.

To resolve the situation we completely reseated all wires to their proper ports and pulled the adapter from the wall and plugged in it again. Not in that particular order by the way. But always make sure when you plug it in that it's detecting it as an AC charger instead of USB. You can do this by going to Settings and then Battery. It'll say it above the graph.

xtnanne

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem.
I left my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 charging at night.
When I woke up in the morning (roughly around 7 hours), the charged battery amounted to just 20%.

I have disabled WiFi, I cleared running applications, I lowered the brightness up to the minimum and I even activated Power Saving before charging my Note II. Still, it's charging VERY SLOWLY.

But then, whenever my Note II is not charging, the battery goes down very fast.
Example, If I have 10%-15% battery at night and I still did everything to save the battery power.
My Note2 will still have ZERO power on my battery when I wake up.

:(

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem.
When I woke up in the morning (roughly around 7 hours), the charged battery amounted to just 20%.

I have disabled WiFi, I cleared running applications, I lowered the brightness up to the minimum and I even activated Power Saving before charging my Note II. Still, it's charging VERY SLOWLY.

Example, If I have 10%-15% battery at night and I still did everything to save the battery power.

Try charging with the PHONE OFF, not just the screen. That's what I always do when I go to sleep. :D

Adil Paracha

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I have Note 2 and I am having a battery charging issue, I am using the charger which came with it and it charges too slow while when I use my friend's charger of Note 2 or other Samsung charger of galaxy 2 it charges faster, I cant understand which charger should I use..I doubt if use some other charger which charges quickly will it effect my battery timing?
My question is that if I use a charger which charges fast than the charger which charges slow will reduce my battery life? Should I use a charger which charges fast?

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I have Note 2 and I am having a battery charging issue, I am using the charger which came with it and it charges too slow while when I use my friend's charger of Note 2 or other Samsung charger of galaxy 2 it charges faster, I cant understand which charger should I use..I doubt if use some other charger which charges quickly will it effect my battery timing?
My question is that if I use a charger which charges fast than the charger which charges slow will reduce my battery life? Should I use a charger which charges fast?

The amount of current is less critical with lithium ion batteries, so you are ok with either charger and won't degrade battery life expectancy. the danger with lithium ion batteries is in the extremes of its voltage (most lithium batteries/circuits will not allow you to fully charge a lithium battery because it stresses the battery and will also not let you fully drain the battery because it could create copper shunts within the battery that could lead to shorts).

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem.

this should not be happening and you don't need to do all those tweaks for a proper charge. As a lot of folks here have said, make sure you're using the stock charger (plugged into a wall outlet, not an extension cord and not in a computer's USB slot) and stock cable first. And if that fails to produce a proper charge, then look to test the battery (or get a new one). This is often the culprit.

ArunBalan

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with My Note 2.
The issue is with Samsung's stock cable.
Every micro USB cable doesn't work fine with note 2.
I have tried connecting a variety of cables.
Nokia CA 101 and Sony Ericsson EC600R works perfectly fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power