What is the actual POCKETABILITY of the Note ?

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if it's bad form to post twice, I noticed my initial post was in the Sprint Note II fora...I figured the general Note one would get more answers.

I'm seriously considering selling my s3 and paying the difference to buy one of these off contract.

I've seen side by side comparisons w/ the S3, but what is the real life pocketability of the Note?

Even if it fits in the pocket, is it awkward when walking or sitting?

Does one handed operation work fairly well? I use my S3 one handed without any problems so I'm not too concerned about it, but just want to make sure it isn't too heavy to hold for one handed use.

Thanks

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm a back pocket gal. NO issues with a back pocket. Since you asked, I stuck it in my front pocket. No issues. However, I don't wear skinny jeans and I DO take it out of my pocket when I sit down because 1)i always do with any cell phone i've owned and 2) it would feel awkward.

be careful tho with the rivets on jeans, can scratch the glass.

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I rock the phone in my front pocket and don't ever notice it. The tighter your pants the more difficult is going to be too get in or out. The only issue I've had is talking it out while sitting down.

As for the weight for one handed use, the phone is super light for its size so I wouldn't worry about that all too much. I use it one handed all the time

Sent from my Galaxy Note II on Sprint using Tapatalk 2

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I find the device very pocketable. I typically wear a suit jacket, at work, during the day, and it fits fine in the inside pocket or the top pocket of my dress shirt. I also wear a belt clip pouch which I carry the Note in over the weekend when I'm wearing jeans, or when I'm just being lazy. I am a distance runner so I have an appropriate sized armband that I place the Note in when I'm out jogging.

However, I would suggest you not make the pocketability of the Note your major consideration in deciding to purchase. The Note 2 is a device like no other, and some shifts in conventional thinking on how you handle the typical smartphone need to be made when using it.

It's sheer size means that one handed use is not going to be practical in most instances. I for one have come to rely heavily on S-Voice (SV) for basic things like calling a contact, answering and declining an incoming call, texting, navigation, opening apps, setting reminders, and removing and editing appointments on my calendar (it actually works very well). I would also use SV to add appointments, but for some reason I can't get that feature to work right :(

Because the Note 2 is really all about the s-pen ,you'll find if you use the s-pen with any regularity as I do (in meeting, conferences, and general note taking), that you will typically be holding the device with two hands because you'll have the pen in one hand, while you write, and holding the device in the other.

In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, the Note 2 brings so many other value added features over a smartphone only type device (i.e., GS3, One X, G-Nex etc.) that in order to take advantage of these features one has to be willing to shift their mindset about how the device is carried and handled. Once you make that shift in thinking, you will find the benefits of the Note 2 far outweigh any limitations it has in pocketability.

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
jogging with it hasn't been an issue? can u send me a link to the armband that u use?

I was worried it would be too big for jogging, but i love the GPS mileage tracking on my S3 and would like to continue using it on the Note.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is the link to the armband. I actually purchased this one when I had the original Note, and after selling it I thought I would need to buy a different one, but to my surprise, with a slight modification to accommodate the headphone jack, the Note 2 fit perfectly fine.

Amazon.com: BW Neoprene Sport Extreme Case Armband for AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I9220 i717 -Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

The GPS tracking on the Note 2 is fantastic. I use Nike+ to track my running mileage, and it works great.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I find the device very pocketable. I typically wear a suit jacket, at work, during the day, and it fits fine in the inside pocket or the top pocket of my dress shirt. I also wear a belt clip pouch which I carry the Note in over the weekend when I'm wearing jeans, or when I'm just being lazy. I am a distance runner so I have an appropriate sized armband that I place the Note in when I'm out jogging.

However, I would suggest you not make the pocketability of the Note your major consideration in deciding to purchase. The Note 2 is a device like no other, and some shifts in conventional thinking on how you handle the typical smartphone need to be made when using it.

It's sheer size means that one handed use is not going to be practical in most instances. I for one have come to rely heavily on S-Voice (SV) for basic things like calling a contact, answering and declining an incoming call, texting, navigation, opening apps, setting reminders, and removing and editing appointments on my calendar (it actually works very well). I would also use SV to add appointments, but for some reason I can't get that feature to work right :(

Because the Note 2 is really all about the s-pen ,you'll find if you use the s-pen with any regularity as I do (in meeting, conferences, and general note taking), that you will typically be holding the device with two hands because you'll have the pen in one hand, while you write, and holding the device in the other.

In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, the Note 2 brings so many other value added features over a smartphone only type device (i.e., GS3, One X, G-Nex etc.) that in order to take advantage of these features one has to be willing to shift their mindset about how the device is carried and handled. Once you make that shift in thinking, you will find the benefits of the Note 2 far outweigh any limitations it has in pocketability.
DAS
Your posts are incredibly helpful..im 2 hours into the Note2. Overwhelmed- how do you close active apps on the device? It also fits great in my shir5 pocket. Its not a beast like everyone makes it out to be. Its Presidential

Last edited:

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
DAS
Your posts are incredibly helpful..im 2 hours into the Note2. Overwhelmed- how do you close active apps on the device? It also fits great in my shir5 pocket. Its not a beast like everyone makes it out to be. Its Presidential

Thank you so much for your kind words. You close apps by long pressing on the home button. There you will see all your recent apps. To close them you just swipe them to the right or left and they will disappear and close.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Personally I find the device very easy to pocket.

Although the Note 2 is a big phone it is not a particularly big object, my wallet for example is far more noticeable in my pocket and a tighter fit.

The device isn't massively wider than most phones on the market and is very thin, most of the added size is in the height of the device but most pockets are generally quite tall (well mine are any way) so the extra size of the Note 2 versus a regular phone isn't an issue. If the phone were wider or thicker then I could see it starting to cause issues but I think Samsung did their research when it came to making sure the device was a large phone but not too large an object.

The phone is also very lightweight, after a few minutes of putting it in my pocket I completely forgot it was there even when having it in my suit trouser pockets and sitting at a desk where I almost expected the thing would go straight through my pocket or leave me unable to bend my legs lol.

Obviously it will depend on the size and shape of your pockets but I really haven't had a single issue with my Note 2 and pockets and I would expect that to be true for the vast majority of people. It might be worth checking at your local retailer to see if they have a display or even dummy phone that you can try in your pocket, I was lucky that the store I was in had a Samsung rep who had a Note 2 himself and let me try it which was very generous considering at the time I was looking at buying an S3 and doubly generous considering the rep doesn't work at the store and had literally nothing to gain by getting me to buy the product.

kenydroid

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
When I got my note 2 I was a little worried about size as my old I phoned 4 was quite small.
After a couple of weeks I find it far more usable than the I phoned and the screen is the right size when I need to browse the net.
I never really notice it in my shirt pocket even in its leather case.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd say for a front pants pocket the note 1 is a little big. My only problems is its a tad bit to wide. And I wish it had the whole edge to edge display so we could get a 5-5.5 screen in a smaller body. When I pick up my old gnex it feels tiny compared to the note. Almost like when I went from the iPhone to the gnex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Front pocket in regular jeans works fine for me, no issues. It is bigger of course, no no issues unless you wear skinny jeans (I don't). I use a TPU Cruzerlite Androidified case (clear), no problems getting in and out of my front pocket.

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
It is pocket-able but not very pocket friendly in MY opinion. I dont use it in the back pocket because I'll end up sitting on it. I carry it my front pocket but it doe bulge because i wear slimmer jeans. By no means do i wear skinny jeans but i do like my jeans fitted. It is definitely noticeable if youre looking at yourself in the mirror or walking. When you sit down it becomes a tad bit more problematic to remove. I mean its not THAT bad but it can be inconvenient at time.