Note 2: +1 in front of phone numbers - not Facebook related

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This may not be strictly Note 2 related, but this is my first Android based phone and I can't seem to figure it out.

Every text message shows the phone number as +1 777-777-7777. This is not my preferred phone number numbering system. I prefer (777) 777-7777. I have all of my contacts set up this way for this exact reason. Somebody suggested it may be a Facebook contact related issue, but I do not have Facebook contacts synced with the phone. All of the contact information is reading off of gmail contacts and is listed there in my preferred numbering system. Even the contacts on the phone show it as (777) 777-7777. So why does it keep changing it back to the other way? It is increasingly frustrating and for all of the things that Android does right over iOS, it seems that iOS has won this battle as it keeps everything nice and tidy when it comes to contacts.

Last edited by a moderator:

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: +1 in front of phone numbers - not Facebook related

You know, I could do that and probably get by, but here's part 2 of this story that just happened to me a little while ago. I received a phone call from an 866 number. Lo and behold, the freaking phone put a + in front of it. So when I tried to call the number back by pushing the green dial button, it thinks I'm trying to make an international call and gives me an error message!

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

I thought the +1 looked like an international thing, but since I've not called outside USA in 20 years, I don't really know much about it anymore.

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

That sounds pretty odd. I don't recall ever having that issue on my older android phones. I hope someone can provide a way to change that, as I'll probably get a bit annoyed with it myself, when I eventually get the VZW version of the phone.

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I remember when I got my first android device (Epic 4G), that I had to start dialing 1+ in order to make calls. My previous phone, Palm Pre, never had that issue.

I did a quick search and found this article, The Straight Dope: Why do you get the message that you must first dial "1" before the area code?

The gist of the article mentions that the reason for using +1 is to make the 3 digit area code more available. The example it gives mentions that your local area code can be 510 and there could be another city across the U.S from you with area code 510. So when you decide to make a long distance call to 510-555-1212 it doesn't end up dialing someone locally at 510-5551 instead.

I've gotten used to dialing 1+ to all my numbers now, so its not a big issue. Also I kind of like it this way, as I make a ton of long distance calls on a daily basis. Plus it helps standarize the number through various applications, like Facebook and etc.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I always format the US numbers in my phone with a +1 777-777-777 after I noticed that Android likes this format. My BlackBerry and my DroidX are set up like this and neither device has any issues when calling a domestic number.... so I don't know why it's giving you an error message about international calling.

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Here's an example of what happened last night. I received a call from this number. As you can see, the format is all messed up, so if I hit the green dial button it tells me my international call cannont be completed. It's not a freaking international call! It's an 866 number.

Screenshot_2012-11-16-08-35-44.png

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I don't have a GN2 yet (Thanks, Verizon) so I can't really play around with my device and find the issue but there has got to be some region/location setting you can change in your N2. My guess is that it thinks you live in a different country and it's trying to format all of the incoming calls to the phone number format of whatever country it thinks your in.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Just checked the places on my Note II that I've seen the +1 prefix---and it isn't on my contacts in the contacts list. And it is not on all of the contacts with whom I text. The +1 is on a random few of the contacts w/whom I text. WEIRD

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

The few that do have the +1, how did those numbers get put in your phone? Sync from google? Manual? Saved after a call or a text? I think the "method of entry" has something to do with the +1 getting added but I don't remember exactly.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

The few that do have the +1, how did those numbers get put in your phone? Sync from google? Manual? Saved after a call or a text? I think the "method of entry" has something to do with the +1 getting added but I don't remember exactly.

Every one of my Note II contacts were transferred via the sd card straight out of my HTC Inspire (also android).

I didn't check all of my text convos, but it appears that the newer contacts are the ones that have the +1 in the text messages. But they aren't very new---at least 6 months old.

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

All contacts are coming from Google contacts and are written correctly there. They are even show up correctly on the phone. But when a text comes in, it has the +1 in front of it.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Now one of my texting contacts has switched to adding the +1 and another texting contact has switched to eliminating the +1 . . . so I have nooooo clue.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Very strange, guys. I've got no idea what's going on with your +1 issues.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Open your dialer and then open the menu. Make sure that US dialing is checked.

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Do you see call settings? if so click on that and scroll down to "other call settings " and the first choice there is " US DIALING"

Nope. Not there. Under Call Settings, I have Additional Settings. If I select that, there is still no choice for US Dialing.