Movies go internally only!

ipaulr

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So, folks often try to quell concerns about just 16 gigabytes of internal memory by saying " but you can put movies and music on the external 64gigabyte SD card ".

Well, I bought a couple of HD movies through Google play and they only go into internal memory. Yikes!

I used Android file transfer to move them to the external sd card, but then I was unable to play them, so I had to move them back. Ugh!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

mhenne4

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You cant put media purchased from the marketplace on an SD card. It has to do with DRM rules and what not I believe

zjaksn10

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Most SD cards have a file limit of 4 GBs. Most HD movies are 4 + GBs. Dark Knight rises is 5 GBs and will only store on phone storage.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah stuff bought from Google Play has DRM protection. If you were able to move it to your SD Card, you could also move it to someone elses SD card...... so...that's why.

Not sure what this whole industry is thinking. On one hand they say "put it in the cloud and listen and watch it anytime you want"....provided you have a great signal, LTE, and an unlimited plan. Then they allow you to save movies to your internal memory only but take forever to come out with a version of the phone that has more than 16 GB. It's crazy, you try to do what they ask you to do, but you get your hands tied trying to do it. I suppose a 64 GB Note 2 on Sprint with you living in an LTE area or always close to Wifi is the perfect solution? Of course, Sprints LTE has limited availability and the 64 GB version is only available in Korea..... These guys in charge of what products will be carried need to get their head out of their butt and get with the program. At least we have the choice still to use a micro sd card, unlike other people opting for phones like the One X and the new HTC Droid DNA, or the Nexus 4. 16 GB only and no SD card slot? Put it into the cloud, yells Verizon...but careful now with the data cap...or, if you're on their new sharing plan.....be sure to opt for as much data as possible.

Crazy crazy.

LuvHorses

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
That's very disappointing. As I thought movies were not DRM. Or at least allow one to buy DRM version like ITunes does for music

RogerRockit

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So if you buy an actual DVD that comes with a digital copy, I assume that digital copy could be put on the external SD card and be usable that way? Or from other (non-Google Play) digital download sites?

ipaulr

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I've tried that. pocket BLU puts them internal. You can move them but then they won't play.

Only way is to rip the yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
That is a silly restriction. Google really doesn't want us to have these external card slots. I'm sure it works fine with Google Drive I imagine. :)

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Just wanted to throw it out there that rented movies stay on the cloud and work just fine. I rented a movie, played it on my phone, then later plugged my tablet into my TV and streamed it to my TV through my tablet and it worked fine. I'm guessing this thread is about a full purchase of a movie, but I wanted to throw this out there for those who may be just renting movies.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
would we be able to use our digital copies that are already on itunes on our computers and throw them on the sd card? I'm new to android (dont even have the note 2 yet so pardon my ignorance).

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
would we be able to use our digital copies that are already on itunes on our computers and throw them on the sd card? I'm new to android (dont even have the note 2 yet so pardon my ignorance).

Nope. Movies bought from iTunes at least won't work and neither will digital copies that you redeem after buying a Blu Ray of the movie. They all land up in the DRM m4v format, and to remove the DRM you have to buy some DRM removal program which ranges from 35 to 50 bucks. If you google it you will find the most commonly used ones. I am not sure about the legality of you using those programs. The people selling them either say nothing about it, or they claim it's legal. I for one am not going to spend that money just to put a movie on my phone. I find it outrageous that most digital copies only are redeemable through iTunes, and then the maker of the Blu Ray has the nerve of writing on the back of the packaging that you can enjoy this movie on tablets and smartphones...too bad those tablets and smartphones are of the fruit variety and require to have the picture of a bitten Apple in the back. I haven't bought a Blu Ray with a Windows Media Player digital copy lately, so I don't know if those would work or not. The few that I have with a WMP copy have expired. That's ridiculous too, why do those stupid digital copies expire? What if you buy Lord of the Rings today, can you still use the digital copy? Nope, once the date has passed, the show is over.

Ah well, just sticking to what ever Netflix lets me stream I guess.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Well lets be honest. Apple is the more and alway has been the more marketable and reputible company hence the digital copies etc. every store you go to with a specific app for the store shows an iPhone and then available on android too. It is what it is.

I don't think I would watch a movie on my note 2 anyways. I've never watched one the iPhone but only do when traveling via iPad. But I can certainly see the appeal with the big screen. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae