A quick review of Note II by Apple user

Younjulius

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I've got quite a few Apple products and I still think they have an edge in general user experience. I bought Galaxy Nexus out of curiosity, and it wasn't too bad. When here comes Galaxy Note II. I was never big fan of the 3.5 inch screen that led me to buy iPad for longer than 5 minute browsing. 5.5 inch screen sounded promising, hence I decided to try the Note II, although I was a bit worried about comments on TouchWiz.

After a few weeks with the Note II, I'm convinced that this is the phone for me. Not only I love the size of the screen, the S Pen works really well, and character recognition works leaps and bounds better than the days of Dell Axim x51v (My previous experience).

What really sold me are actually what Samsung did to Jelly Bean. Surely, stock Jelly Bean that I've used with GNex was pretty good, I couldn't help but feel that it's bare. Most of the default screens are minimal, and very dark in color. As someone who enjoyed Apple's more playful and colorful UI, the aspect was a definite downgrade that I just put up with.

While it IS true that TouchWiz is kinda mess in terms of how disorienting at places when I try to find things. However, the overall user interface is much more pleasent and colorful.

I like Android, and I think Jelly Bean is superior to iOS 6, except the dry look and feel. I love the look of the Note II. I've switched the system font that was never possible with iPhone. The google calendar is replaced by S-Planner. Even the stock email is usable compared to the stock email on GNex for me.

The camera app is also much better than GNex even with 4.2 upgrade. In overall, I've found the phone that I wanted. To me, little things and the feel and the look of the phone is every bit as important as hardware specs. Now, I understand why Apple is trying so hard to drive out Samsung from the smart phone market by suing left and right.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got quite a few Apple products and I still think they have an edge in general user experience. I bought Galaxy Nexus out of curiosity, and it wasn't too bad. When here comes Galaxy Note II. I was never big fan of the 3.5 inch screen that led me to buy iPad for longer than 5 minute browsing. 5.5 inch screen sounded promising, hence I decided to try the Note II, although I was a bit worried about comments on TouchWiz.

After a few weeks with the Note II, I'm convinced that this is the phone for me. Not only I love the size of the screen, the S Pen works really well, and character recognition works leaps and bounds better than the days of Dell Axim x51v (My previous experience).

What really sold me are actually what Samsung did to Jelly Bean. Surely, stock Jelly Bean that I've used with GNex was pretty good, I couldn't help but feel that it's bare. Most of the default screens are minimal, and very dark in color. As someone who enjoyed Apple's more playful and colorful UI, the aspect was a definite downgrade that I just put up with.

While it IS true that TouchWiz is kinda mess in terms of how disorienting at places when I try to find things. However, the overall user interface is much more pleasent and colorful.

I like Android, and I think Jelly Bean is superior to iOS 6, except the dry look and feel. I love the look of the Note II. I've switched the system font that was never possible with iPhone. The google calendar is replaced by S-Planner. Even the stock email is usable compared to the stock email on GNex for me.

The camera app is also much better than GNex even with 4.2 upgrade. In overall, I've found the phone that I wanted. To me, little things and the feel and the look of the phone is every bit as important as hardware specs. Now, I understand why Apple is trying so hard to drive out Samsung from the smart phone market by suing left and right.

Unfortunately, for Apple, suing one of their largest competitors in the smart phone market isn't going to do them any good in bringing back the talent and leadership they lost when Jobs died.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Welcome friend. If you have any questions, or if we can help in anyway, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Nothing will ever replace the loss of jobs
that company has been going downhill since

jobs would of never released an "ipad mini" to match what competitors are doing

but...jobs would of continued with the BS patent war
which really needs to end

i wish i had an engi undergrad degree so i could do patent litigation
unfortunately, I cant sit for the patent bar

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You can't patent a rectangle shaped flat touch screen phone. Jobs death did kill Apple as well, very sad

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

dealnerd00

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Great review. You didn't sound off like an apple fanboy at all OP. I, too, came from iOS after using my iPhone 3GS for the past 3 years. It served me well and I was getting bored with iOS and wasn't impressed with i4, i4s and now even less with i5. Frankly the news of Apple's US lawsuit victory over Samsung drove me over to get the Note 2. Bad publicity is just as good as good publicity. Now after almost a week on my Note 2, I have been impressed in so many ways with it and realise it's a great phone for me. So long iOS!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I still love my ipad but I have a Nexus 10 on the UPS truck arriving Sat,,,, so I shall see if the Nexus gets as much or more love from me.

I loved all my iPhones but after I got the iphone 5 I decided it was time to jump ship,,, while I do miss my iphone 5 a little my new Note 2 is making me very very happy.

Too bad Apple had to get so old and boring,,, they used to be so great but no more.

Cheers
Davyo

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have had every iPhone and have tried to leave them a few times for Android but always went back for some reason or another.

After getting the iPhone 5, I got to the point where I was sick of iOS and using iTunes. I decided to pick up a S3 and give it a try but before my 14 days were up I returned it for the Note 2.

I really feel that iOS is going to be a thing of the past for me now. The Note 2 is a great device, I'm very pleased with my decision.

I had planned on keeping the 5 and putting it on my spare line, but now I've decided to sell it since I haven't touched it since getting the Note 2.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have had every iPhone and have tried to leave them a few times for Android but always went back for some reason or another.

After getting the iPhone 5, I got to the point where I was sick of iOS and using iTunes. I decided to pick up a S3 and give it a try but before my 14 days were up I returned it for the Note 2.

I really feel that iOS is going to be a thing of the past for me now. The Note 2 is a great device, I'm very pleased with my decision.

I had planned on keeping the 5 and putting it on my spare line, but now I've decided to sell it since I haven't touched it since getting the Note 2.

Welcome to the darkside. I'm gonna make u some cookies. :D:D

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Just do a craigslist swap? ^^ I bought the s3 since the tmobile rep told me itd be at least a year before the note 2 came out.... I found the release date coming for a note 2 by browsing here and sold my s3 for 450... so to pay off my value plan and get thd note 2 it was a 50 dollar upgrade :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Appreciate the review. I myself am an avid apple user and own the iPhone 5 which is am using right now. I have become bored like others and ready for a change. I will be buying the note 2 on Verizon next week. My only concern and its fairly lame and hoping you can add some insight... The apps. I use cnbc, espn, eBay, amazon among my most used if not daily. I know the cnbc on android is pitiful and watching YouTube reviews of espn it shows the iOS is much more smoother and cleaner looking. I get the sense the apps in the play store pale in quality to the App Store! Is that a fair assessment?

elvis1935

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No not at all. I would say the same and some are better than ios. And at least are maps work!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Podgorica

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Iphone 4 user here waiting on note 2 to arrive on Verizon. I had ip4 for the last two+ years and android for a few months before. At the time android was not doing it for me so i just ignored it completely until few weeks ago. i was very disappointed with what ip5 had to offer so started playing with the s3 and was so impressed and at the same time mad at myself for being blinded by apple and for not trying android earlier as i could've had a big screen and 4g long time ago. But at the same time it turned out good as i am now eligible to upgrade to note 2. Cannot wait to get it next week, already have cases, sp and sd card waiting for it. I am not going to lie i loved and enjoyed my ip4 very much but i am just tired of ios. I cant wait to customize my homescreens with widgets, not rely on itunes and put 25gb of music on my sd card :)

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Like many on this thread, I too was an Apple iPhone user and I was concerned about jumping over to a new system.
Every time a new phone was introduced, I went to the AT&T store to check them out and I was less than happy with Android phones.
That was until this year.
I really feel that with the introduction of the Samsung S3 and Note series, there has been a big jump in quality, features and user experience that was not really there before.
These phones have passed the iPhone as far as features and innovation goes and that is what drove me to make the change.
It's really been a great experience. Yes there is a little learning curve but within a few weeks, I feel pretty solid about Android and what it has to offer.
I've never been so vocal to my family and friends about the benefits of these phones and I still believe the Note II is the greatest phone on Earth!

So to the OP, welcome and enjoy your new phone.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there is an iPhone standard anymore. When Android was developing their OS there were problems with speed, nascent/wonky software, and a processor that couldn't handle what the Android OS delivered. Now for all practical purposes the Android flagships are mature and speedy and more than competitive with the iPhone. The debate is over IMO so you just make a choice on two distinct alternatives. BTW typing this on my iPad.

Sent from my hookah via hash cloud.

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
At the current state of smartphones I think all of these flagship phones are amazing. You cant go wrong with any of them. Its just personal preference.

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
At the current state of smartphones I think all of these flagship phones are amazing. You cant go wrong with any of them. Its just personal preference.

I agree with this, to me the Apple products are for people who dont really want to "customize" thier phones. LIke my father. He upgraded from an Envy2 to an IP5, he loves it, all he wants is to txt, call, surf the web. However I cannot stand it after messing with it for 2 hours setting up. I mean, you have to plug it into a computer to do updates! (I know this is now fixed) You cant place widgets, no home screens, no fun! Give me android anyday :)

WHaydock

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Ex Apple user here; the iphone hasnt really changed in 4 years both hardware (other than a desperately needed faster processor) or in sotfware. Hence I decided to go Android rather than wait another 2 years to see if Apple caught up. The SGN2 hardware and 4.1 is vastly advanced on Apple.

WarrenH

Younjulius

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm a hobby photographer who invested quite bit on gears. While it's no match to my main gears, I appreciate little features like face recognition. There are so many little things that I'm still discovering about this phone. Frankly, some are meh, but there are many others that deepens my liking on this sweet device. BTW the music player with widget is pretty good too certainly better than iPhone's.

I'm not loyal to either Android or iOS. While I appreciate flexibility that Android allows, I also prefer not having to configure everything myself. With Note II, I don't use beautiful widget for weather and a separate LED notification app. What's built-in is acceptable for me. Also, I like iOS's easy-to-useness, but don't like the OS keeps telling me that I'm using it in wrong way by not allowing much legroom at all.

Last edited: