What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2?

mccabegc

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think this is going to be a matter of opinion vs fact. I am a 5 year apple user and am anxiously awaiting my Verizon Note 2. Apple has a very simplistic OS that seems to be geared towards MANY people in the smartphone universe. You can pick up the phone and use it, plain and simple. For me, that is it. The note 2 will have a learning curve, especially to those who have never used an Android device before. The OS can be intimidating if you do not take time to learn it.

As for features....Samsung blows Apple away in this department. Motion Controls, In depth Voice Controls, NFC, S-Pen, Multi Window, a TON of camera features that Apple does not have. The list can keep on going.

Oh yea, pretty sure the Note 2 is getting much better battery life in comparison to the iPhone 5

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Herd the sheeple?

Just kidding......kinda. Like Mccabegc said, it would be for people who dont want to "customize" their phone. Just pick it up and go. My father for example, first time smart phone owner, The iOS is very easy to understand and get use to. If he is happy about it, then I am too. Plus the resale value on those little buggers are crazy! a 3 year old Iphone 4 still fetches as much as my Rezound does! Bolloks!

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I had an iphone 5 since launch day. Infact I had had a 3g and a 4 as well. After a month and a half of using thev 5 I got rather bored. I eventually got tired of the same ol' thing. Yes they are very well made, and are extremely simple to use. But thats all they really have these days. Now that the other manufacturers have caught up in terms of specs and customization I see apples market slowly receding.

Sold my iphone on ebay for $685 as soon as I saw this I knew I had to have one.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Well made, almost industrial art
Well supported and serviced
Mass appeal
Simple to operate
Corporate friendly
Secure ecosystem
Software is far less buggy
Functional entire device backup and restore, optionally in the cloud

Najeb Embong

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
At present i'm using all Apple gadgets iPhone, iPad (mini or big), mac book air and pro, iMac. Its really great, all syncs automatically, lots of apps available in store. No other apps could match half of its performance by that time, (during SJob time). Any how recently ive tried using galaxy note 2.. Its awesome. Marvellous. It really much ahead of apple iPhone iPad what ever. Samsung got camera Galxy. Wow.
Apple tried to maintain its pride by not doing any improvements such as..
1. SD card slot
2. back touch screen button
3. Short cut input (entry) as in HomeBudget apps.
4. Better resistive touch screen. Samsung's screen more smoother and more finger mark repellent.
5. Samsung products looks more friendlier than apple.
Hope Samsung will be more creative in their products.
I really appreciate and stunned with your performance. Will say goodbye to apple soon.
My advice to apple. " Learn how to make better things by listen to people" How come apple dont know how to make buttons like samsung, and friendlier like Samsung?... Your apple TV suck. your time machine suck. Your "Others" suck!!

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I used to think iPhone was something you'd recommend for Grandma (simple and reliable), but since JB I don't believe that anymore. If the Note 2 is too big for her and the stylus is too complicated, then get an S3. With JB there is no longer any validity to the argument that IOS was (smoother/easier/cooler/had more or better apps/whatever) than Android.
Even the famous build quality of Apple is now being questioned with the i5 quality problems.

First the S3, now the Note 2, soon the S4 ... the i5 is totally outgunned, and that's only Samsung phones! Wait till the other manufacturers get rolling.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
At present i'm using all Apple gadgets iPhone, iPad (mini or big), mac book air and pro, iMac. Its really great, all syncs automatically, lots of apps available in store. No other apps could match half of its performance by that time, (during SJob time). Any how recently ive tried using galaxy note 2.. Its awesome. Marvellous. It really much ahead of apple iPhone iPad what ever. Samsung got camera Galxy. Wow.
Apple tried to maintain its pride by not doing any improvements such as..
1. SD card slot
2. back touch screen button
3. Short cut input (entry) as in HomeBudget apps.
4. Better resistive touch screen. Samsung's screen more smoother and more finger mark repellent.
5. Samsung products looks more friendlier than apple.
Hope Samsung will be more creative in their products.
I really appreciate and stunned with your performance. Will say goodbye to apple soon.
My advice to apple. " Learn how to make better things by listen to people" How come apple dont know how to make buttons like samsung, and friendlier like Samsung?... Your apple TV suck. your time machine suck. Your "Others" suck!!
Great post.

I have 3 apple tv's and all 3 have software glitches, crashes, etc... I wish Samsung would make something like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
In terms of design, the iPhone 5 is much easier to hold (obviously mainly because of size) than the Note II. Also, if you are a person who likes to take a lot of photos, it's a lot easier to do with the iPhone 5 because it functions like a camera due to the shape and the ability to take photos with the volume button. That's the one thing I miss the most. Other than that, Galaxy Note II does just about everything better and the screen size makes up for a lot of things. Before I used to carry an iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini. Now I carry a Note II and a spare battery!

Update: Someone on the MacRumors forum corrected me by saying that YOU can take pictures using the volume button. It can be changed in the settings! Doh!

Last edited:

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Great post.

I have 3 apple tv's and all 3 have software glitches, crashes, etc... I wish Samsung would make something like it.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

My neighbor has the apple TV and loathes it. Sounds like an epic fail as I've not found someone who's happy with it.

gadgetman#CB

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I am also using an iPhone 5 64GB and an iPad mini 32GB LTE, and this switch is very tempting. Why a spare battery? Does the Note 2 not get you through a whole day? It seems like pulling that thin back cover off on a regular basis will break it pretty quickly.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the only thing I missed after changing from iPhone to Note II is working with other people who have iDevices.

I miss
1) iMessage
2) Facetime
3) PhotoStream

All my families have iDevices including my wife and my son. Everyone is using PhotoStream to share their pictures and I cannot see them on my phone. While I can MMS iPhone, I cannot do it to iPads and iTouch (All my nephews and nieces got them, and they have no phone). Facetime is okay. I could use Skype instead because everyone on the iDevice also got Skype.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Why a spare battery? Does the Note 2 not get you through a whole day? It seems like pulling that thin back cover off on a regular basis will break it pretty quickly.

The better question in my opinion is why not? My Note 2 easily and I mean EASILY makes it through every day. I always have plenty of battery remaining at the end of the day. The back cover may look flimsy but it seems to hold up really really well. It never comes off when you don't want it to and it removes without a fight when you do want it off. I for one love the idea that if my battery fails for any reason I can change it in mere moments and it has no noticable design impact on my device. It is also comforting that I can grab a replacement back cover if mine gets scratched or damaged and change it. Then there is the fact that it is a very handy and functional place to put the micro sd card slot and sim card.

jollydogg

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I think the only thing I missed after changing from iPhone to Note II is working with other people who have iDevices.

I miss
1) iMessage
2) Facetime
3) PhotoStream

All my families have iDevices including my wife and my son. Everyone is using PhotoStream to share their pictures and I cannot see them on my phone. While I can MMS iPhone, I cannot do it to iPads and iTouch (All my nephews and nieces got them, and they have no phone). Facetime is okay. I could use Skype instead because everyone on the iDevice also got Skype.

Facetime is a awesome feature, and Ive seen some REALLY cool ways for its use. For example, Im a registered nurse and spent some time in an acute hospice setting. There was a family who used their iPhone for facetime to make contact with their family back in Thailand and to talk to the patient, so that was pretty awesome.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I am also using an iPhone 5 64GB and an iPad mini 32GB LTE, and this switch is very tempting. Why a spare battery? Does the Note 2 not get you through a whole day? It seems like pulling that thin back cover off on a regular basis will break it pretty quickly.

I wouldn't worry about the back cover may feel thin and plasticity but it will last probably longer than your 2 year contract

pstmstr

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I've tried and returned the Note 2 twice, really wanting to make the switch. Thinking seriously about trying again. To me, the iphone is simpler to use and "just works" , the upgrade process on Andorid, especially with Verizon is frustrating as was some of the other things. I love the screen size and was getting close to keeping it when my 14 days was drawing to a close. My girlfriend and I share reminders, I Facetime with the grandkids out of state, and I love Tweetbot and how it synchs read tweets via iCloud between my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Air. Convince me guys, what similar Android programs will help me make the jump and stick with the Note 2, Verizon is 3 miles down the road and calling my name again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza