What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2?

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So just cause apple put video chat on their phones and slapped a new name on it its the shiii huh lol. Like I said iOS just is a glorified permanent app drawer that just got lte LAST YEAR. LOL and FYI Nokia did have that feature first. Nokia isn't as big as apple

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know if you follow technology like me but its not who does it first. It's who can take it and make it useful for the general public and make it affordable and reliable.

For example, Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you follow technology like me but its not who does it first. It's who can take it and make it useful for the general public and make it affordable and reliable.

No. It comes down to who can sue whom first. And THAT is something Apple is very good at.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I was talking about the iPhone solely. The screen on the N10 beats the iPad is most ways though, I've seen a few classmates with their iPad 4's and they look good but I just can't help but notice a better overall picture on the N10.

As for the messaging, even if you can't you can always use the cross-platform apps. :p

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

The N10 is great until you use it in portrait mode. Then it suffers from what every other Android tablet suffers from IMO.

In portrait mode, the tablet is just too oblong. I feel like I am reading a book made with legal sized paper. I much prefer the iPad in portrait mode compared to Android tablets.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Two diff time periods and tech. And in terms of data speed android been leading the pack. But u is right on it ain't who does it first. The iPhone came out first but android came and perfected it

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The N10 is great until you use it in portrait mode. Then it suffers from what every other Android tablet suffers from IMO.

In portrait mode, the tablet is just too oblong. I feel like I am reading a book made with legal sized paper. I much prefer the iPad in portrait mode compared to Android tablets.

The only time I'd use mine in portrait mode would be to read books but I don't see myself doing that. I much prefer a physical book. But when I tried it anyway I saw what you mean.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Well I am back on android after a 1 for 1 swap. Iphone 5 for note 2. Being that i have had only android phones I feel compelled to do a comparison. First off for all of the people saying android is smoother or works better, you clearly didn't spend a whole lot of time with the iphone5. Because hands down ios is amazingly smooth. Far fewer errors than with my note 2 I am currently using. That being said being in the military facetime was the biggest feature I miss from ios is facetime because it was a lot easier to see my family. Specially my dying grandmother. The integration of the program into the operating system is one thing that google needs to catch up on. Yeah now I use skype but facetime was much easier. But I did switch back to android for a reason. With aple I felt completely locked down and the phone although it was incredibly smooth was extremely boring. If it had half the features android did in the os I believe it would fall far behind in how smooth it runs. The apps for iphone were definitely higher quality usually but they were also ridiculously priced and id just never go there. Camera on iphone5 definitely better. But this one is still decent. But biggest reason I came back is the iphone 5 screen just sucked. It was so small. I had ahard time doing anything on it. The speakers for music or speaker phone on the iphone 5 were also better, my note is just too quiet. But my note 2 is very snappy and fluid. I would say it runs android far better than the s3 so it would compare but be just slightly less fluid than the iphone. But taking into account the extra features my note had I say it is an over all win. Apple does do a lot of things very nicely with ios. I would like to see video chat built in to the Android operating system. Also less errors and reboots being needed. But for those of you who just write Apple off are burying their heads in the sand and trying to avoid seeing other things another operating system has to offer. Android is not the superior Os in every aspect but it is one I prefer. But I do see why now that apple does have the fan base it has. I took the time and tested both out very thoroughly. I like Android better but I do miss features on the iphone.

drewtenn

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Well I am back on android after a 1 for 1 swap. Iphone 5 for note 2. Being that i have had only android phones I feel compelled to do a comparison. First off for all of the people saying android is smoother or works better, you clearly didn't spend a whole lot of time with the iphone5. Because hands down ios is amazingly smooth. Far fewer errors than with my note 2 I am currently using. That being said being in the military facetime was the biggest feature I miss from ios is facetime because it was a lot easier to see my family. Specially my dying grandmother. The integration of the program into the operating system is one thing that google needs to catch up on. Yeah now I use skype but facetime was much easier. But I did switch back to android for a reason. With aple I felt completely locked down and the phone although it was incredibly smooth was extremely boring. If it had half the features android did in the os I believe it would fall far behind in how smooth it runs. The apps for iphone were definitely higher quality usually but they were also ridiculously priced and id just never go there. Camera on iphone5 definitely better. But this one is still decent. But biggest reason I came back is the iphone 5 screen just sucked. It was so small. I had ahard time doing anything on it. The speakers for music or speaker phone on the iphone 5 were also better, my note is just too quiet. But my note 2 is very snappy and fluid. I would say it runs android far better than the s3 so it would compare but be just slightly less fluid than the iphone. But taking into account the extra features my note had I say it is an over all win. Apple does do a lot of things very nicely with ios. I would like to see video chat built in to the Android operating system. Also less errors and reboots being needed. But for those of you who just write Apple off are burying their heads in the sand and trying to avoid seeing other things another operating system has to offer. Android is not the superior Os in every aspect but it is one I prefer. But I do see why now that apple does have the fan base it has. I took the time and tested both out very thoroughly. I like Android better but I do miss features on the iphone.

Like you, I came from ios. I've been an apple user since the first iphone. I just picked up my note 2 a couple of weeks ago. You're right Apple does give users a very clean interface and they do lock you down in how you can customize your phone. The only reason I switched is because I started a new job doing Android development. So far I'm loving the phone. I don't have the errors and reboots your experiencing though.

I tried out the first Google nexus phone years ago and hated it. Google and Android has come a long way since then.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It all boils down to personal preference... So can the sheeple quit trolling the thread now?

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have some reasons why the new note is better than the iPhone 5.

with the keyboard you swipe write , or heck, even install a new keyboard. You cannot do that with iPhone 5

you can actually watch a 720 p video

the voice recognition software is a lot better. My dad has ipad 3 and siri is kinda wsck Imo.

you can get to the settings much quicker

I've come to find out that a lot more games are free.

plus the music is a lot cheaper most of the time for the same quality on the Google play store compared to the App Store

Jelly bean is a lot more fun to use than iOS 5

Lastly you can install a launcher to make your note look like a Nexus.

However I probably am a little biased because I love Android and iOS is only good on tablets, to me.

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I agree with all of this. I just came from an iphone to a note 2. I love the note 2 but it isnt as fluid as ios. But ios is dull and boring. If apple make ios 7 customisable so its more like android I could see myself returning. Well, if they make a bigger phone too lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all of this. I just came from an iphone to a note 2. I love the note 2 but it isnt as fluid as ios. But ios is dull and boring. If apple make ios 7 customisable so its more like android I could see myself returning. Well, if they make a bigger phone too lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Also siri was pretty awesome way better at recognizing words than googles and s voice

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
S voice understand everything I say.

You know what any android does better and easier than an iPhone?

Download ringtones.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My boyfriend has a feature phone due for an upgrade. Took him by Verizon last night to look at iPhones because he's technology challenged and thought it would be a good entry level smart phone for him.

Wow that thing is small! We left with no upgrade. He's happy with the phone he has.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. I need need a tablet for college textbooks and I still can't decide. The iPad is built well but I am partial to Android. Biggest iOS draw back is the lack of support for a wide selection of video types. I owned an iPad before and it was really limited on what movies I could load onto it.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I too came from an iPhone. Had every iPhone since the 3G and really loved them. Then I started getting bored with it as it doesn't allow you to customize anything. I played with the Samsung Galaxy S2, but it had lots of annoying things that irked me too much and I returned to the iPhone.

But I was very intrigued at what you could do on an Android that you couldn't do on an iPhone and after the Galaxy S3 came out with a much sleeker Touchwiz, I played with it for a while and really loved it. So I made the leap to the Note 2 and haven't looked back. The fact that you can change the keyboard to something more your liking, you can expand notifications, multi-tasking is true multi-tasking and not just a "saved" state, widgets, launchers (Nova!), lockscreen replacements like WidgetLocker and I could go on and on. The interesting thing is that Apple has stated in past commercials that there's an app for that. But on Android, that is actually more accurate. If you don't like the way the device does something, more than likely there is an app that can tweak/tailor it to do what you would like for it to do.

At first I missed Siri, but then I found Dragon Mobile Assistant which is much better and will even start applications for you. And I find that Google Text-to-Speech when composing messages is more accurate and faster than Apple's.

The only things I miss from the iPhone:

Facetime, but I'm starting to use Skype (which is cross-platform capable so I think I'll like it better in the long run anyway)

Immediate software updates. Being able to download a new version of the OS as soon as it's available rather than waiting for Samsung to update, then the carriers to test before finally getting it rolled out to my device. Granted Samsung is doing MUCH better than when I had the Galaxy S2 and Android/manufacturers overall have significantly improved in this area. Example, JellyBean 4.1.2 was announced in October and I just got the update last week on my Note 2. However, with that said, you could argue the fact regarding iOS even if they do make it widely available on a given date. Example, iOS 6 was announced at WWDC on June 11, but wasn't made available until September. The biggest advantage is that all compatible iOS devices get it on the first day of availability, whereas if you have a slightly older Android device, you may have to wait months to get what another Android device has (or you may never get it depending on the priority of the device manufacturer).

Camera quick start. This is the one feature that I miss the most. I loved being able to just drag up on the camera directly from the lockscreen on the iPhone and the camera would open w/o unlocking your device. This was an outstanding feature as I am required by my company's policy to have an alpha/numeric password on my phone which often hampers me from getting my camera open in time to catch that priceless snapshot. Even though you can put a camera shortcut on the lockscreen, I still have to unlock the phone before the camera opens and anyone with kids knows, if you take too long you miss out on the opportunity for a great shot.

As others have said, it's a matter of personal preference. I recently got an iPhone 5 for my wife. She doesn't now, nor will she ever, see the need to customize her phone. She likes to do a few things on her device and doesn't want to "learn" how to do it on a new phone, despite my efforts to get her to switch to an S3. And she likes the smaller size of the iPhone, which is perfect for her when she mostly uses it as a phone, to text and Facebook.

zolgi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

General public? When Nokia did it. It worked every phone that supports video calling. No need for apps like tango or whatever it was like any other phone call, just with video. When apple did facetime, it was only in wifi and only with apple devices lol. Then they add later 3g... Only thing where Apple is ahead everyone is marketing, nothing more.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have it and have been very happy with it. I use stream to me and it plays all formats om 1080p perfectly. Airplay om my Mac to tv is awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Yep. I love my Apple TV. I mostly use it for Netflix but also use Airplay mirroring to mirror the display of my MacBook Air on the TV. I've also started loading my DVDs and Blurays onto a NAS and it will stream them. Also looking to upgrade software to Firecore to expand functionality.