What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just have a full blown PC hooked up to my tv lol. Beats propriety tv every day of the week imo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have some reasons why the new note is better than the iPhone 5.

with the keyboard you swipe write , or heck, even install a new keyboard. You cannot do that with iPhone 5

you can actually watch a 720 p video

the voice recognition software is a lot better. My dad has ipad 3 and siri is kinda wsck Imo.

you can get to the settings much quicker

I've come to find out that a lot more games are free.

plus the music is a lot cheaper most of the time for the same quality on the Google play store compared to the App Store

Jelly bean is a lot more fun to use than iOS 5

Lastly you can install a launcher to make your note look like a Nexus.

However I probably am a little biased because I love Android and iOS is only good on tablets, to me.

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

The iphone is okay..... Does what it is supposed to. I had my Apple time ha ha. The note outperforms the iphone in many categories. I would recommend grandma get one. They are easy app trays. For anyone else? Get a super phone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Well I am back on android after a 1 for 1 swap. Iphone 5 for note 2. Being that i have had only android phones I feel compelled to do a comparison. First off for all of the people saying android is smoother or works better, you clearly didn't spend a whole lot of time with the iphone5. Because hands down ios is amazingly smooth. Far fewer errors than with my note 2 I am currently using. That being said being in the military facetime was the biggest feature I miss from ios is facetime because it was a lot easier to see my family. Specially my dying grandmother. The integration of the program into the operating system is one thing that google needs to catch up on. Yeah now I use skype but facetime was much easier. But I did switch back to android for a reason. With aple I felt completely locked down and the phone although it was incredibly smooth was extremely boring. If it had half the features android did in the os I believe it would fall far behind in how smooth it runs. The apps for iphone were definitely higher quality usually but they were also ridiculously priced and id just never go there. Camera on iphone5 definitely better. But this one is still decent. But biggest reason I came back is the iphone 5 screen just sucked. It was so small. I had ahard time doing anything on it. The speakers for music or speaker phone on the iphone 5 were also better, my note is just too quiet. But my note 2 is very snappy and fluid. I would say it runs android far better than the s3 so it would compare but be just slightly less fluid than the iphone. But taking into account the extra features my note had I say it is an over all win. Apple does do a lot of things very nicely with ios. I would like to see video chat built in to the Android operating system. Also less errors and reboots being needed. But for those of you who just write Apple off are burying their heads in the sand and trying to avoid seeing other things another operating system has to offer. Android is not the superior Os in every aspect but it is one I prefer. But I do see why now that apple does have the fan base it has. I took the time and tested both out very thoroughly. I like Android better but I do miss features on the iphone.
Thanks for the honest critique. I have been saying for years that the one thing Apple has always done better than Android was the touch screen response and scrolling. Even after project butter I feel that Apple still had an edge. That was until I got my Nexus 4. It is super smooth and responds very fast to everything. That doesn't mean that some poorly designed apps don't lag a bit at times but over all this phone is smooth as silk.

I think that part of the issue is that so many Android phones are pushing a ton into a GPU that can't always handle it. Add in a bunch of bloatware and it slows things down. Apple keeps things clean like Nexus devices so they handle it better. The os shuts things down and dedicates the GPU more efficiently. Android is powering through it by adding faster processors etc. which is fine but up until this phone it's always bugged me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the honest critique. I have been saying for years that the one thing Apple has always done better than Android was the touch screen response and scrolling. Even after project butter I feel that Apple still had an edge. That was until I got my Nexus 4. It is super smooth and responds very fast to everything. That doesn't mean that some poorly designed apps don't lag a bit at times but over all this phone is smooth as silk.

I think that part of the issue is that so many Android phones are pushing a ton into a GPU that can't always handle it. Add in a bunch of bloatware and it slows things down. Apple keeps things clean like Nexus devices so they handle it better. The os shuts things down and dedicates the GPU more efficiently. Android is powering through it by adding faster processors etc. which is fine but up until this phone it's always bugged me.

Well Nexus is pure Android and Google clearly wants to keep it that way and as such doesn't really put much in in terms of bloatware. It's designed the name way Apple does things with iOS, nice and smooth. If it weren't for then lack of features I probably would have gotten one already.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Apple is polished. The end experience is simply beautiful. No denying that. Less bugs? You bet. My note has had a couple hiccups, but for the features I get, I can live with that. It really does boil down to what you prefer. I dont really think the iphone has any "real" advantage for all the missing features especially. I do love the phone design of the iphone. It is like a fine watch.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
General public? When Nokia did it. It worked every phone that supports video calling. No need for apps like tango or whatever it was like any other phone call, just with video. When apple did facetime, it was only in wifi and only with apple devices lol. Then they add later 3g... Only thing where Apple is ahead everyone is marketing, nothing more.

No, ATT only allowed it on wifi not Apple.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well Nexus is pure Android and Google clearly wants to keep it that way and as such doesn't really put much in in terms of bloatware. It's designed the name way Apple does things with iOS, nice and smooth. If it weren't for then lack of features I probably would have gotten one already.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
Get the Nexus 4. You will not be disappointed.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple is polished. The end experience is simply beautiful. No denying that. Less bugs? You bet. My note has had a couple hiccups, but for the features I get, I can live with that. It really does boil down to what you prefer. I dont really think the iphone has any "real" advantage for all the missing features especially. I do love the phone design of the iphone. It is like a fine watch.

I've always said that a product that does less and is less innovative is much easier to manage. Add in the fact that you only have one company manufacturing the phone and it gets better again. But it has become clear that Apple will have a tough time trying to compete against Google, Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, Asus, Huawei, ZTE etc. Plus battle Microsoft and RIM as they battle back. Google has many partners wanting them to succeed while Apple has many enemies wanting them to fail. As much as all of Google's competitors hate it, they (as Apple found out) have to support Google products. The Google Octopus is too big now.

I honestly hate Apple simply for how they operate, but I do hope they can continue to do well and keep pushing innovation. But unfortunately right now I doubt there are very few features on any Apple products that are keeping Sergei Brinn, Larry Page and Eric Schmidt up at night. 2 years ago that was not the case. In fact I think the situation is now reversed. I bet Tim Cook has many sleepless nights.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've always said that a product that does less and is less innovative is much easier to manage. Add in the fact that you only have one company manufacturing the phone and it gets better again. But it has become clear that Apple will have a tough time trying to compete against Google, Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, Asus, Huawei, ZTE etc. Plus battle Microsoft and RIM as they battle back. Google has many partners wanting them to succeed while Apple has many enemies wanting them to fail. As much as all of Google's competitors hate it, they (as Apple found out) have to support Google products. The Google Octopus is too big now.

I honestly hate Apple simply for how they operate, but I do hope they can continue to do well and keep pushing innovation. But unfortunately right now I doubt there are very few features on any Apple products that are keeping Sergei Brinn, Larry Page and Eric Schmidt up at night. 2 years ago that was not the case. In fact I think the situation is now reversed. I bet Tim Cook has many sleepless nights.

Agreed.

Cliffs71

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The reality is that Apple is no longer the leader when it comes to innovation. And while it might be said that this phone is slightly faster or that phone is slightly smoother, those differences don't actually manifest themselves in day to day operation. I've never swiped across the screen of my Note 2 and wished it was as fast as an iPhone. Even if it isn't, the discrepancy is so minuscule that it becomes nothing more than a waste of time trying to quantify it. If there is a strength to the iPhone (and really to Apple's whole line) it's in the Apple ecosystem and its ability to gather and simplify everything around you. Your music, your movies, emails, addresses, calendars, apps... everything is with you at all times and everything has a standard hub. It made it simple for people who had never heard the term 'smartphone' to embrace the technology and get us where we are today. It's still incredibly necessary for a lot of people. BUT... Android is closing (or closed) that gap as well. Google has ran with what Apple did and, quite simply, is doing it better now.

The biggest problem with Apple (and this can applied equally to their die hard Apple fans) is that they have refused to acknowledge that there are competitors out there that are almost as good or BETTER THAN their almighty iPhone. They were so preoccupied with suing to stop everyone else from advancing that they failed to realize they were actually the only ones not moving forward. Things like the Note 2's multitask ability, it's screen-size, the S-Pen are (to different degrees) game changers. I would laugh at that Galaxy S3 commercial (where the guy in line for an iPhone 5 says, "The headphone jack's... on the bottom."). It just seemed like Apple was focused on the wrong things. They're also so determined to push their own proprietary tech (whether its power connectors, sync options, iTunes-only ringtones, or Apple Maps) that they're slowly but surely pushing people away. I also think they are so opposed to anything "Android-ish" that it's embarrassing. Why haven't they incorporated widgets yet? Widgets are one of the greatest things a smartphone can utilize. Why refuse to incorporate widgets (Even if they're just stock Apple ones that could be very Sense-like)? I have a friend who just switched from iPhone 5 to Note 2 (because of mine) and while he's been frustrated this week because of the heavy learning curve with Android, he's already in love with how customizable the Note 2 is.

Competition inspires innovation. But that's not how Apple works and that's why they're being surpassed now.

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The reality is that Apple is no longer the leader when it comes to innovation. And while it might be said that this phone is slightly faster or that phone is slightly smoother, those differences don't actually manifest themselves in day to day operation. I've never swiped across the screen of my Note 2 and wished it was as fast as an iPhone. Even if it isn't, the discrepancy is so minuscule that it becomes nothing more than a waste of time trying to quantify it. If there is a strength to the iPhone (and really to Apple's whole line) it's in the Apple ecosystem and its ability to gather and simplify everything around you. Your music, your movies, emails, addresses, calendars, apps... everything is with you at all times and everything has a standard hub. It made it simple for people who had never heard the term 'smartphone' to embrace the technology and get us where we are today. It's still incredibly necessary for a lot of people. BUT... Android is closing (or closed) that gap as well. Google has ran with what Apple did and, quite simply, is doing it better now.

I completely agree that I never once thought I wish my note 2 was as fast as my iphone. Also I agree with the fact that googles system with calendars and all of that is better, because it is. But I honestly was extremely impressed with the way they integrated certain features into the os. That is definitely one thing these phone makers need to work on. Im sure I would love my note 2 wayyy better if it just had pure android on it and I could get rid of this garbage samsung touch wiz or whatever its called. Also WHEN ARE WE GETTING GOOGLE WALLET! I want that bad!

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I planned on getting an iPhone 5 as my next upgrade due to how well the Apple ecosystem worked from one Apple device to another. I have an iPad, MacBook, and Apple TV. I was ready to leave Android and go all Apple until I found out if you go outside of their ecosystem, things can be a bit cumbersome. I like how iCloud keeps everything in sync, but you're limited as to what you can sync with iCloud. Therefore, I went with Dropbox. I can upload and download any type of file; no questions asked. Not so with iCloud, therefore Dropbox has been my #1 service as far as being able to access all of my files. Apple won't let you download files to the device memory, but I found a few paid apps that allowed me to get around that restriction. The biggest challenge I ran into on my iPad was being able to open a document in Dropbox, edit the file, then save it back to Dropbox in real time. On my previous Android phones, I was able to easily do that with Documents To Go. I can also do it with Polaris Office on my Note 2. I assumed that since Documents To Go for the Android version was able to update files in real time, then the iOS version of Documents To Go would be able to do the same. I was sadly mistaken. I spent well over $50 in apps, triying to find one that would fit my needs. Since there is no refund option for Apple's app store, I ended up purchasing apps that didn't work out as planned. I like how Google allows you to test the app to see if it works as promised during the refund period. If you don't like it, you can get your money back.
I'm able to get a lot more done with my Note 2 and Dropbox. I also came across a file explorer app called X-Plore File Manager that has taken my file integration between my device and Dropbox, Picasa, and Google Docs to a new level.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Last edited:

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Also WHEN ARE WE GETTING GOOGLE WALLET! I want that bad!

I have it already?

Btw, coming from someone who has used tw, motoblur, vanilla, sense, I'm actually surprised I'm enjoying the touchwiz as much as I am...

Another thing note does better... battery removal!

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

The biggest problem with Apple (and this can applied equally to their die hard Apple fans) is that they have refused to acknowledge that there are competitors out there that are almost as good or BETTER THAN their almighty iPhone. They were so preoccupied with suing to stop everyone else from advancing that they failed to realize they were actually the only ones not moving forward. Things like the Note 2's multitask ability, it's screen-size, the S-Pen are (to different degrees) game changers. I would laugh at that Galaxy S3 commercial (where the guy in line for an iPhone 5 says, "The headphone jack's... on the bottom."). It just seemed like Apple was focused on the wrong things. They're also so determined to push their own proprietary tech (whether its power connectors, sync options, iTunes-only ringtones, or Apple Maps) that they're slowly but surely pushing people away. I also think they are so opposed to anything "Android-ish" that it's embarrassing. Why haven't they incorporated widgets yet? Widgets are one of the greatest things a smartphone can utilize. Why refuse to incorporate widgets (Even if they're just stock Apple ones that could be very Sense-like)? I have a friend who just switched from iPhone 5 to Note 2 (because of mine) and while he's been frustrated this week because of the heavy learning curve with Android, he's already in love with how customizable the Note 2 is.

Competition inspires innovation. But that's not how Apple works and that's why they're being surpassed now.

Well now their suing and patent spree is really biting them in the ass, especially since they're starting to lose more of them.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I planned on getting an iPhone 5 as my next upgrade due to how well the Apple ecosystem worked from one Apple device to another. I have an iPad, MacBook, and Apple TV. I was ready to leave Android and go all Apple until I found out if you go outside of their ecosystem, things can be a bit cumbersome. I like how iCloud keeps everything in sync, but you're limited as to what you can sync with iCloud. Therefore, I went with Dropbox. I can upload and download any type of file; no questions asked. Not so with iCloud, therefore Dropbox has been my #1 service as far as being able to access all of my files. Apple won't let you download files to the device memory, but I found a few paid apps that allowed me to get around that restriction. The biggest challenge I ran into on my iPad was being able to open a document in Dropbox, edit the file, then save it back to Dropbox in real time. On my previous Android phones, I was able to easily do that with Documents To Go. I can also do it with Polaris Office on my Note 2. I assumed that since Documents To Go for the Android version was able to update files in real time, then the iOS version of Documents To Go would be able to do the same. I was sadly mistaken. I spent well over $50 in apps, triying to find one that would fit my needs. Since there is no refund option for Apple's app store, I ended up purchasing apps that didn't work out as planned. I like how Google allows you to test the app to see if it works as promised during the refund period. If you don't like it, you can get your money back.
I'm able to get a lot more done with my Note 2 and Dropbox. I also came across a file explorer app called X-Plore File Manager that has taken my file integration between my device and Dropbox, Picasa, and Google Docs to a new level.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Some really good points here.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Seriously you couldn't be more wrong on this. Once your contacts and calendar is connected to your Gmail account you never need to worry about syncing anything. You can also use Google sync to wirelessly sync to Outlook.
I'm unaware of a "Google sync" that is available to sync Google contacts with Outlook if one doesn't use an Exchange server for email.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12