What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The new iPhone 5 is WAY better at running iTunes than any Android device. But.. iTunes sucks and so Android still wins.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not at all, do a quick Google, it's not an isolated issue. Funny enough, the first result is from this very forum. Also, if it was an isolated issue PowerAmp wouldn't have built in settings to help prevent this issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+audio+skip

It's all to do with the CPU. If the CPU is only allowed to run at 200 MHz of course it's going to struggle playing audio that is of half decent quality because it won't have enough processing power to load the data.

Modern electronics shouldn't skip and that's why this issue is so ridiculous. Unless you root your device to install setCPU, you can't change the minimum MHz for the CPU. It's absurd one would have to root the device just to get proper audio playback.

My last chance is tomorrow. I've had both PowerAmp and Player Pro skip today so in PowerAmp I enabled both audio skip settings. I'll spend all day tomorrow with these settings enabled, but my impressions of Android have gone from absolutely perfect and the best OS to below satisfactory.
I hate to pop your bubble but if you Google the same thing for the iPhone it lights up search results just as bad. So ya.... :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not rooted, I'm stock 4.1.2. If I was rooted I would immediately use the setCPU application to stop the CPU from clocking all the way down to 200 MHz. While I know it's easy, I don't want to root my device as I prefer things stock.

I play MP3's with 320 kbps or at minimum 192 kbps. Nothing unusual, although the quality is high. Lower kbps would obviously work better, but there's no reason at all why 320 kbps should struggle. It's just the fact that the CPU clocks down even without power saving turned on. It doesn't happen if you have your screen on, but in sleep mode it clocks down and I'm assuming when another process triggers, it starts to chock.

I have applications running such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. in the background to provide notifications. While I can't verify this at all, my thinking is that while the music plays fine while clocked down, when an application or two start looking for notifications plus the music playing, it causes the skips. It plays fine for the most part, it's just the odd skip which is why I'm lead to believe it happens at a time where too many processes are asking for the CPU and the CPU can't handle it when it's clocked down.
So let me get this right. Your listening to music for an hour and then wammo! Out of nowhere your music skips for half a second and it blows your mind as to how technology could be so flawed? Lol. First world problems my friend. :banghead:

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
@badbrad17: Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Guess what, no device is perfect. Every single thing has flaws. If you want to act like the Note II has no flaws, then by all means, go ahead. Just don't act like a stuck up snob. Seems like you have some first world problems if you have to defend every little flaw so that your device seems perfect.

@jrog28: Seems like you need to get over yourself and read the entire discussion. If you would have, you would have noticed I do have PowerAmp. Apparently reading is overrated.

I hope you both realize this is a thread about what another device does better than the Note 2. If it hurts your ego that the Note II isn't perfect, then you might not want to read this thread. You may not recover.

ill keep trying to replicate this

If you're trying to replicate, note that it only happens when the device is idle. I've yet to see it happen when I'm actively using the device.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe that it is not accurate to imply that anything requiring root, etc. is not a relevant fix. The totality of the device includes the ease of use and accessibility of customizations, even those that are made purely to overcome shortcomings of the out of the box state of the device. While of course there are relevant YMMV issues, by and large the enormity of the android development community and the baked-in intentional ease of gaining root and boot-loader access in order to facilitate a more optimal user experience over a dynamic population results in general in greater satisfaction of any one person that is willing to take ownership of their own interactions with their own technology. The iPhone is made to attempt to withstand attempts at securing individuality, both in technological practice and in approach to marketing, etc. Indeed, the entire Apple paradigm is determining how to bend people in massive quantities to their singular devices, while the Android paradigm is bending the technology to the specific user as dynamically as possible, within security, hardware and feasibility constraints. The added bonus with Android is that users are encouraged to create new solutions to potential issues they find in their personal user experience, and the tools are made readily available to empower that construct. This duality is the common distinction in many philosophical debates, though the names of the variables change, we're really talking about optimization through control or choice. Is it one solution to fit most, or many solutions to fit more? In any optimization problem, you have two choices: Solve for the aggregate mean or solve for the individual maximum results for minimum energy on each node. Android chose the latter and I agree more with that approach more so than the aggregate average benefit, because the swings away from mean are too extreme in their chosen scenario.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There can be no doubt that in terms of hardware technology, Android OEMs are years ahead of Apple today. However, Android is not yet capitalizing on that hardware advantage and thus it can appear too similar in end user experience because of the ease of integration that Apple faces versus the multitude of devices that Android must support under it's current business model. If Android OEMs could make the most effective use of even half of their hardware advantages, Apple would easily be left in the dust.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
@badbrad17: Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Guess what, no device is perfect. Every single thing has flaws. If you want to act like the Note II has no flaws, then by all means, go ahead. Just don't act like a stuck up snob. Seems like you have some first world problems if you have to defend every little flaw so that your device seems perfect.

@jrog28: Seems like you need to get over yourself and read the entire discussion. If you would have, you would have noticed I do have PowerAmp. Apparently reading is overrated.

I hope you both realize this is a thread about what another device does better than the Note 2. If it hurts your ego that the Note II isn't perfect, then you might not want to read this thread. You may not recover.

If you're trying to replicate, note that it only happens when the device is idle. I've yet to see it happen when I'm actively using the device.
I'm just trying to set realistic standards for what is a real issue and what is not. Your problem is a 12 on a scale of 100 yet you are making it seem like it is a huge deal. I am more than willing to throw the Note 2 under the bus for real problems but this skipping issue can be attributed to pretty much every device you try to Google. Try it. I understand that no device is perfect, that was why I made the comment. And for what it's worth I have a Nexus 4.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm just trying to set realistic standards for what is a real issue and what is not. Your problem is a 12 on a scale of 100 yet you are making it seem like it is a huge deal. I am more than willing to throw the Note 2 under the bus for real problems but this skipping issue can be attributed to pretty much every device you try to Google. Try it. I understand that no device is perfect, that was why I made the comment. And for what it's worth I have a Nexus 4.

True but it's frustrating to him because he listen to music all day. Skipping g would drive me nuts and each person considers certain issues on different scales. For him this may be a huge deal but for you it may be a small deal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
If its something that only happens every once in a while and under a load it sounds like the gov on the CPU when screen is off it scales back to the min it needs but when it gets a load suddenly the gov may not be able to scale up fast enough this is common of ondemand because it slowly scales up as it sees its not meeting demand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I was only asking if they were rooted, trying to rule out possibilities.

I've never encountered the problem myself, although I solely use poweramp anymore.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
There is just no comparison. Apple phones don't keep up with technology. When I bought my Note 2, the Sprint salesman asked me if I wanted the iPhone 5. I laughed at him.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
There is just no comparison. Apple phones don't keep up with technology. When I bought my Note 2, the Sprint salesman asked me if I wanted the iPhone 5. I laughed at him.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Same thing here... kinda ticked me off, but it was bb not Sprint store. I was like "if I wanted a half par phone, I'd stay with the piece I have"

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
The discussion about getting the skipping fixed should be moved to it's own thread and let this one get back to. What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2?

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I believe that it is not accurate to imply that anything requiring root, etc. is not a relevant fix.

Rooting is not a relevant fix and it has nothing to do with the Android security or the iPhone security. It's about voiding your warranty. You should not have to void your warranty in order to have a properly working device. It's as simple as that. If you could keep your phone under warranty while rooting then sure, it would be a good fix. That will never happen though due to the nature of rooting the issues that can arise if it goes wrong.

Also, while most of us forum goers usually have the capacity to root, there are a ton of people who do not. Not everyone is computer literate as I'm sure you've experienced quite a few. How are these users going to get the fix if they cannot root due to the inability to do so? It's a not a proper fix if most of your user base can't fix it.

Realistic standard? I understand everyone has different priorities, but for most people, an audio issue is not a 12 on a scale of 100. You're just being stubborn in trying to defend the Note II. If audio was hardly used, then most devices wouldn't come with headphones. I understand some carriers don't provide headphones, but that's just the carrier being greedy. Samsung provides official headphones for a reason.

As for other devices experiencing the same issue, it's an Android issue. Of course other Android devices will experience the same issue. I stated the iPhone doesn't, and if you Google and replace "android audio skip" with "iphone audio skip" you don't find the same issue. You find a completely unrelated issue in which tracks would skip in a playlist, not the audio skipping. This issue also seems to stem from iTunes converting high bitrates to 128 kbps, which wouldn't be the iPhone itself.

Hence, why I said the iPhone 5 plays music better than the Note II.

True but it's frustrating to him because he listen to music all day. Skipping g would drive me nuts and each person considers certain issues on different scales. For him this may be a huge deal but for you it may be a small deal.

Precisely. Well put.

If its something that only happens every once in a while and under a load it sounds like the gov on the CPU when screen is off it scales back to the min it needs but when it gets a load suddenly the gov may not be able to scale up fast enough this is common of ondemand because it slowly scales up as it sees its not meeting demand.

That's exactly what I'm thinking and unless you root, there's no fixing that. I also doubt Google will change how Android behaves anytime soon.

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
There can be no doubt that in terms of hardware technology, Android OEMs are years ahead of Apple today. However, Android is not yet capitalizing on that hardware advantage and thus it can appear too similar in end user experience because of the ease of integration that Apple faces versus the multitude of devices that Android must support under it's current business model. If Android OEMs could make the most effective use of even half of their hardware advantages, Apple would easily be left in the dust.

I'm pretty sure the GPU in the iPhone 5 is better than even the Adreno 320 on average, and the CPU is competitive with the S4 Pro...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Specific to the Note 2 vs iP5 comparabilities for this thread, we're talking about a 1.6ghz Quad Core processor backed by 2gb RAM vs a 1.2ghz Dual Core processor backed by 1gb RAM. The computing possibilities in hardware are much more favorable with the Note 2, however it's not being fully utilized which is why the user experience is judged by most of the tech media to be roughly equal. Also, the iPhone 5 was a pretty huge leap over the 4S, which had a 1ghz Dual Core with only .5gb RAM.

For several generations, Apple refused to improve their processing spec's to current industry standards, which is why I indicated 2 years behind. At current pace, a quad core 2+gb RAM iPhone is probably still a year or two away, when Samsung and LG are talking about the Octa Core chips in their near future. Other OEMs innovate hardware and Apple catches up. That's not new, it's a 3 year old trend that shows no sign of being reversed.

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Specific to the Note 2 vs iP5 comparabilities for this thread, we're talking about a 1.6ghz Quad Core processor backed by 2gb RAM vs a 1.2ghz Dual Core processor backed by 1gb RAM. The computing possibilities in hardware are much more favorable with the Note 2, however it's not being fully utilized which is why the user experience is judged by most of the tech media to be roughly equal. Also, the iPhone 5 was a pretty huge leap over the 4S, which had a 1ghz Dual Core with only .5gb RAM.

For several generations, Apple refused to improve their processing spec's to current industry standards, which is why I indicated 2 years behind. At current pace, a quad core 2+gb RAM iPhone is probably still a year or two away, when Samsung and LG are talking about the Octa Core chips in their near future. Other OEMs innovate hardware and Apple catches up. That's not new, it's a 3 year old trend that shows no sign of being reversed.

But the Exynos 4 is based on A9 architecture while the A6 is based on A15 architecture. ARM suggests that each new generation can confer a 50% improvement in performance, presumably on average. While the iPhone 5 has less memory, resource management is completely different in iOS (e.g. you can't really multitask) so that's a functionality win for the Note 2 rather than a performance win.

The A6's SGX543MP3 crushes the Mali-400MP. Honestly the GPU in the Note 2 is the biggest letdown relative to the previous generation but it's more than fine enough for any Android game around (for now).

Apple kicked it into high gear with the GPUs relative to Android. This is huge since so much of iOS is GPU-accelerated and its games rely on this core advantage.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I can look it up later, but I think the Adreno 320 was ahead on 1080p playback, but behind on everything lower resolution if I remember the comparison correctly.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
I listen to music a lot too. If it's skipping every 5 minutes then fine this is a real issue but that's not what it sounded like. If I got a minor skip every hour then I wouldn't care. You get a skip from blue tooth or wifi not being fast enough so wow... He posted that sooooo many people were having this issue and the iPhone didn't have the same problem yet when I Googled it the iPhone had the same issues, so my point was that it seemed like he was just making more of an issue than it really was.