Casually Using the Note 2

llweaver

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! Long time reader but first time posting. So, I'm due for an upgrade in December and am torn between the Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 4, Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5. I'm an Apple loyalist but am pretty bored with iOS. I really wouldn't mind the Nexus 4 but Google needs to get its act together with having enough in stock to actually buy. I've been researching the Note 2 for a couple of months now and am about 75% sure I'm going to go that route. But I have a couple of concerns:

1.) I'm so use to the pocketable iPhone, really how pocketable is the Note 2?
2.) I'm also use to being able to casually whip out my iPhone (or even my old HTC Inspire) and use it in public, whether it's just to take pictures or texting or whatnot. The Note 2, from my outside perspective, doesn't seem very practical at all. Am I going to look like an idiot with an iPad when whipping it out to take pictures or record videos?

I would really love a real world, practical sense of you guys/gals daily use of the Note 2. Thanks in advance! :)

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I've had my Note 2 for a month and the size hasn't hampered usability for me. I have no problems whipping out my phone in public to text or even call. The phone is nice to hold, actually feels really good in the hand and the one handed use settings make texting or dialing with one hand easier.

The phone isn't so big as to be awkward for taking photos/videos and I find the extra screen estate helpful for framing shots. Also, afterwards, the large screen + S pen combo makes doing retouches with Aviary a breeze. :)

Can't speak for the pocketability, there have been long discussions on this here and no clear conclusions. :p Best thing you could do is go check one out and see how it fits in your pockets.

Go get the Note2! No regrets here. I should tell you I get more oohs and aahs than any other reaction. And if price isn't the issue, don't get the S3, it's a great device but it's a step down from the Note 2, in my opinion. All my S3 toting friends (and colleagues and bosses too) are drooling over my Note2 and saying they wish they had waited a bit. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Look, the Note 2 is damn big, bigger than any phone out there. But it's way smaller than a Nexus 7 much less an ipad, so let's not blow things out of proportion.

It fits in your pocket fine. You can hold to your ear and makes calls just like any other phone. Using the camera doesn't feel any different than using the camera on my S2.

The way Samsung designed the Note 2 understates the size. After a short time with it, it doesn't look, feel, or handle like a mini-tablet. It just feels like a phone.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been researching the Note 2 for a couple of months now and am about 75% sure I'm going to go that route. But I have a couple of concerns:

2.) I'm also use to being able to casually whip out my iPhone (or even my old HTC Inspire) and use it in public, whether it's just to take pictures or texting or whatnot. The Note 2, from my outside perspective, doesn't seem very practical at all. Am I going to look like an idiot with an iPad when whipping it out to take pictures or record videos?

No offense, but how is it possible you have researched this phone for two months, with these being the two most asked questions, have not received an answered at least a million times over?

There is only ONE way to know if the Note 2 will work for you. You will need to buy it, use it in your world an environment, and discover if it meets your specific needs & requirements. If it does not meet your needs, you can always return it for something that's a better fit.

However, for me, and 5 million other users, it is the ultimate all-in-one device. It gives access to the most feature rich smartphone, media consumption tablet, and advanced electronic note pad, all in a single device.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

llweaver

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but how is it possible you have researched this phone for two months, with these being the two most asked questions, have not received an answered at least a million times over?

There is only ONE way to know if the Note 2 will work for you. You will need to buy it, use it in your world an environment, and discover if it meets your specific needs & requirements. If it does not meet your needs, you can always return it for something that's a better fit.

However, for me, and 5 million other users, it is the ultimate all-in-one device. It gives access to the most feature rich smartphone, media consumption tablet, and advanced electronic note pad, all in a single device.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Dude, there's no need for your condensending tone. I wasn't bashing anyone, just simply asking opinions on people's real world, everyday use after actually having the phone for awhile. If anyone has come across some advantages and possible disadvantages. You just gave a general answer. No need to be rude.

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So if you are worried about size this phone probably is not for you. I bought it because I can use the S-Pen to jot down a note when I need to,The big screen for Hulu+ and Games, and also because it is future proof(quad core,2GB RAM, Jellybean,etc) Also if you like things like best face or recording video in 240 fps than this phone is for you. But to answer yourquestion yes it fits in my pocket but I usually have it laying out in front of me (I use it constantly) and I can def. whip it out in public. make a good Choice!

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 coworkers who upgraded or are waiting to upgrade to the Note after they played with mine. All 3 are heavily invested into the iOS ecosystem (macbook, ipad, etc), but they all agreed that the 5 was not enough of an upgrade from the 4S with the exception of LTE.

One of these users actually had an original galaxy and said he dreaded going to android because of all the problems and glitches he had with that phone. He was pretty shocked at the smoothness of Jellybean. Android has made quite a bit of progress in the last 2-3 years in terms of user experience.

dealnerd00

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am a female so I do have an advantage of carrying a purse around. But i do have small hands and have never felt self conscious about holding it to my ear. In fact most of the responses I get from people were more curiousity than judgment. Many of them are also tired of Apple so they are curious to know what Android is all about.

I don't have an iPad or a tablet so this device is truly the all-in-one device for me. I dont have to wait to use DH's iPad anymore since i got this phone.

As far as pocketability, lucidmike has a good video demonstrating that. Check him out on youtube.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Just don't wear skinny jeans and you will be fine, unless you like the bulging look.

Just kidding, but I have noticed that just like the GS3, if it is in your pocket, anything that may depress the home button on the front will turn the screen on in your pocket and use up some battery time. The note 2 battery is large enough to handle it, but on my GS3 that I had, I could lose up to 20% battery on any given day while in the pocket.

Other than that, the size is a non issue like others have said. I had the original note as well and you get used to the size rather quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Dude, there's no need for your condensending tone. I wasn't bashing anyone, just simply asking opinions on people's real world, everyday use after actually having the phone for awhile. If anyone has come across some advantages and possible disadvantages. You just gave a general answer. No need to be rude.

@llweaver: I want to apologize to you because my comments came across to you as rude. It was not my intent to be condescending or rude in anyway, and for that please accept my sincerest apologies.

I was trying to communicate that this is one of those phones, because it's so unique, must be used in your reality to truly know if it's the device for you. The value and benefits of most phones can be evaluated by a simple review of the specs, or the opinion of others, but the original Note, and now the Note 2, they must be used to truly appreciated and determine if it's the phone you.

Personally, I am a distance runner and carry the Note 2 in an armband during my runs with no problem. During the week I carry the Note in a belt clip pouch or my inside suit jacket, and on the weekends I carry it in the back pocket of my jeans. I owned the original Note as well and have never had a problem with the size of either device hindering me from any activity.

Regarding holding the Note 2 to my ear, again I've had no issues. In the car I use a Bluetooth speaker attached to my visor, but otherwise I hold the phone in the normal talking position. I have never once had anything but positive comments, but even if the comments were negative that wouldn't bother me because I have the Note to meet my needs and not the approval of others.

I encourage you to get one, take it home, set it up to your liking, and use it. During your trial period ask any questions you may have, and someone here in the forums will be glad to help. After a week or so you will have an objective evaluation of how the device fits your lifestyle. I will be more than glad to help you in anyway I can.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

kregstrong

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Hahahaha u jog with the note 2??? Now that might look a little silly. Strap it to ur arm and u might look like predator doodling on his arm hahahahahahaha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Look, the Note 2 is damn big, bigger than any phone out there. But it's way smaller than a Nexus 7 much less an ipad, so let's not blow things out of proportion.

It fits in your pocket fine. You can hold to your ear and makes calls just like any other phone. Using the camera doesn't feel any different than using the camera on my S2.

The way Samsung designed the Note 2 understates the size. After a short time with it, it doesn't look, feel, or handle like a mini-tablet. It just feels like a phone.

What this guy says. Its big and new and different but after awhile you get used to the size and it doesnt feel like a "phablet" anymore

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey OP, and any other person trying to figure out if this phone is really "the one" haha just saw this video by coldfustion last night. Best one ive seen and ive seen a lot. Not one of those videos where what you see is mostly the reviewer's face haha. Focus is on the phone and it's abilities, someone said it's like a documentary and i have to agree! Also the reviewer is actually a Note2 user so it's great.

Anyway the main reason im sharing this is because at some point in the review he puts the phone in the pocket of his regular pants. :)

Here ya go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! Long time reader but first time posting. So, I'm due for an upgrade in December and am torn between the Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 4, Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5. I'm an Apple loyalist but am pretty bored with iOS. I really wouldn't mind the Nexus 4 but Google needs to get its act together with having enough in stock to actually buy. I've been researching the Note 2 for a couple of months now and am about 75% sure I'm going to go that route. But I have a couple of concerns:

I would really love a real world, practical sense of you guys/gals daily use of the Note 2. Thanks in advance! :)

To cut to the chase:

1. Very, very pocketable, unless your pockets are tiny and your pants are very tight.
2. No, you will not look an idiot. People may do a double take when they see the size, but they'll keep moving. No one is going to point and laugh.

My real world, practical opinion is this: It's not too big. Not even close. And I don't worry about what others think about how it looks, but that's just me. Besides, I wear a bluetooth headset most of the time when I'm talking on it anyway, so it doesn't bother me either way. But it IS slippery, so get a case with some grip or grow sticky fingers. Or...just don't drop it.

By the way: this device is the baddest smartphone on the planet. So it does have that going for it, too. ;)

spinalpap

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm really loving the phone so far. As others have said, it is very pocketable. Unless your pants are tight, it should fit in many pockets just fine. The more you play with it, the more you get used to the size. When you swap to a regular phone, it will seem much smaller than it once did.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey OP, and any other person trying to figure out if this phone is really "the one" haha just saw this video by coldfustion last night. Best one ive seen and ive seen a lot. Not one of those videos where what you see is mostly the reviewer's face haha. Focus is on the phone and it's abilities, someone said it's like a documentary and i have to agree! Also the reviewer is actually a Note2 user so it's great.

Anyway the main reason im sharing this is because at some point in the review he puts the phone in the pocket of his regular pants. :)

Here ya go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yea this video made me fall in love with the note 2 all over again lol

Sent from my PC36100

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star