I just traded in my iPhone 4S for an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II in 16gb (they didn't have a larger GB unit unfortunately). Anyway, I've had the thing for about four days now and love it. It was a bit of a relearn having been an iOS user for about four years, but nothing too difficult. Overall I love it, but I have one GLARING issue that is driving me nuts. I listen to music all the time- at work, at home, in the car, you name it and I've got something playing. I have begun to notice that my Note 2 is randomly causing static in powered speakers.

At work I plug my Note II into a set of desktop speakers via a male to male stereo cable. The closer my "phablet" gets to the speakers the louder the interference gets. This isn't a pop, or latency or anything like that. It's a static hum that comes right through the speakers. Even with the volume on the desktop speakers turned all the way down I can still get them elicit static by moving the phone close! I've turned off wifi and bluetooth to test and neither has any effect. It can be five minutes after I plug it in that it suddenly happens, or it could be only a few seconds- totally random. I've even checked to see if it was during an email sync over the LTE data network and that's not it either. Then there's the old radio alarm clock in my bedroom. Without the phone even being plugged in to it, it causes static in the alarm clock's speakers. All I need do is hold my Note 2 close to the alarm clock and the static starts. The closer the phone, the louder the static. All of this happens even when there's no music playing on the Note 2! Oddly enough I have never experienced this issue while listening via my stereo bluetooth headset.

So to recap:
    Static hum (that occasionally pulses) coming from powered speakers when phone is within roughly three feet.
    Effect seems random in that it doesn't follow any discernible pattern or time frame.
    Happens both when there's a stereo cable plugged in or when there's nothing plugged in to the 3.5mm jack.
    Happens even when wifi and bluetooth is turned off.

So has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a faulty Note 2? I've seen some sporadic postings on these boards about similar issues, but nothing conclusive. The static gets loud, loud enough that I have to stop what I'm doing to fiddle with the phone. The only work-around I have found is to stretch the 3' stereo cable as far away from the speakers as possible, and even then I still get static albeit at a much lower volume. Getting a 6' long cable to avoid this is NOT viable solution. I'm not an electrical engineer, but wouldn't a bad ground cause this? Maybe a bad solder of the 4G antenna or something? Of is this just a glaring design flaw? I still have about 10 days left to return it to the AT&T store. At this point I'm just trying to ascertain if this is an issue specific to my device, or something endemic to all the Galaxy Note II devices.

I really love my Note 2, but this static/interference issue is enough drive a wedge between us.
    11-29-2012 10:43 AM
    Hmmm.... It is obviously generating/emitting a signal that comes through on your radio/speakers. It's a matter of finding out what radio in the phone is doing it. I wonder if the NFC circuitry could be the culprit. Have you tried disabling the NFC? Now I am curious. I used to get interference all the time with my older Nextel "brick" phones. But I thought I escaped that when I switched to Verizon.
    11-29-2012 10:48 AM
    I can confirm NFC is off and the issue still persists.

And just to be completely pedantic, the static happens both with the charging cable plugged in and not plugged in.
    11-29-2012 11:13 AM
    Have you tried putting the phone in airplane mode so it would turn off the wireless? It is probably that. At work, we have a speaker system in the conference room. Whenever someone's phone is close to the speaker within 2 feet, it will start the "hummm". Maybe the Note II just have a really strong radio.
    11-29-2012 11:21 AM
    I can confirm that by turning on airplane mode, the static is no longer apparent. Soon as I turned airplane mode off, the static immediately came back.

So we know it's the 4G radio, but is this something specific to my unit (as in it's defective) or a design flaw that all Note 2s are liable to experience/elicit?
    11-29-2012 12:24 PM
    I may have an answer. I am not sure if this might be the problem as I don't have a god way to duplicate it. The GN2 uses what is called EMR or Electromagnetic Resonance. It generates a small electromagnetic field that the S-Pen picks up and uses for power and signal. Thus why store displays mess up when they have the security clip on the back....its magnetic. My guess is that the phones field might be messing with the speakers as speakers use a form of electromagnetism to work. I would say use a longer cable or maybe there is something wrong with the cable and/or phone.

If you want more info on how the Screen tech works here is a good link: Wacom Components : Input Technology : EMR Technology
    11-29-2012 02:14 PM