My Case Review #1: Ringke Slim (w/images)

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
First off, I apologize for the not-so-great image quality. I took these this evening in fluorescent lighting with a BlackBerry Torch (no pun intended).

Anyway, thought I'd pass on my thoughts on the Ringke Slim case. I ordered this on ebay for around $11, but you can obviously order these from many different places.

As the name suggests, this is a slim case, so there is very little added bulk. It is lightweight, "hard" plastic. I qualified "hard" because it's not that brittle, polycarbonate material, but it's not as flexible as TPU. It's kind of in the middle, with some flexibility with decent rigidity. The touch is kind of soft textured, not quite rubbery, more of a sateen finish. Not sure how much protection it would provide in a fall. It would really depend on how and on what it landed. It doesn't wrap around the front edge like a TPU case does, so if it landed on the screen, you're screwed. But it does afford you some protection on the sides and back. More importantly, it provides a little better grip on the phone, certainly better than the slippery finish of the stock back and sides. It has all the requisite cutouts so that all ports, holes, camera lens and flash, and S-Pen are unobstructed.

Aesthetically, this case is appealing if you like understated, conservative, and "sophisticated" appearances, which I do. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so opinions will vary. One minor annoyance is that it shows every (and I mean EVERY) smudge, smear, and fingerprint. If that bothers you, steer clear. If it only bothers you a little bit, keep a microfiber cloth handy. If you don't care about that, then go for it.

Overall, I would personally rate this case a 7 out of 10.

PROS:
  • Looks nice, even sophisticated
  • Lightweight and slim
  • Offers a little bit of extra protection
  • Provides better grip

CONS
  • A magnet for smears and smudges
  • Won't protect the front or front edges of your device

Images (not that great)
IMG-20121130-00025.jpg

IMG-20121130-00029.jpg
IMG-20121130-00030.jpg
IMG-20121130-00031.jpg
IMG-20121130-00033.jpg
IMG-20121130-00036.jpg
IMG-20121130-00037.jpg

TheBigJMoney

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have this case and agree with everything you said. This is always the kind of case I turn to once ive had a phone awhile. Is it much protection in a fall? No. But it gives piece of mind against scratches and other minor annoyances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair