20-40% battery loss overnight

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Great observation. May have a app that is causing that in the background.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Yeah I am not sure if you guys had a update recently but I finally got jumped to 4.1.2 and I'd say the first couple of nights the maps app kept doing this to my S3 as well and it caused the phone to wake up a ton at night (looked like every 5 min) so my phones battery would start to drain a lot more than it should over night.. So that caught my eye.

I just cleared map cache. Force stopped it in the application manager and rebooted. It hasn't done it sense.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Im rommed but dont have a custom kernel that affects battery life. Your pics look just like mine as far as apps running. Other than gps I never turn off wifi or bluetooth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Here's how mine looks now, I'm still stock because I clearly don't see what advantage I'd have roming when the OS and kernel combo stock is so well tweaked.
I also always have auto brightness on.

u7yvehug.jpg

Sent from my ATT Note 2!

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and I lose about 10% battery overnight. I keep wifi on. If I turn wifi off I lose more like 15% to 20% but that's because I have a bad 4g single in my house.

But I'm still running 4.1.1 we didn't get 4.1.2 yet. I just can't wait for 4.2.2 that will bring battery life up even more. I just hope 4.2.2 comes soon. Then again in happy with the way my phone is running now. But more Battery life is always better.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

ecs180

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
i posted another thread called "not so known battery saving tips"...should clear all your issues up

as someone posted earlier...if you have bad signal that will drain battery big time also

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and I lose about 10% battery overnight. I keep wifi on. If I turn wifi off I lose more like 15% to 20% but that's because I have a bad 4g single in my house.

But I'm still running 4.1.1 we didn't get 4.1.2 yet. I just can't wait for 4.2.2 that will bring battery life up even more. I just hope 4.2.2 comes soon. Then again in happy with the way my phone is running now. But more Battery life is always better.

I just got 4.1.2 and now maps is top battery drain when I look in settings. What is the setting always report from this device? Is that something I need on in order for Google now to work correctly?

Everything was fine until 4.1.2, I'm not saying it's not wroth the update

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Bad sgnak can eat battery use. I make sure wifi is off if not using. I don'thace wifi and if using public I make sure off when not using. I don't keep Bluetooth on all the time. It uses battery too.
I get awesomeness from battery use. I also have the battery power saver on. It doesn't harm anything. Just keeps screen brightness low. Maintains CPU. Phone functions just fine. No faults

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the point, help me please. What is the point of having a smartphone that can do all these amazing things if you just want to carry around a paperweight in your pocket. Just buy a spare battery. The back cover is by far the easiest I ever had as far as taking off. I actually have 5 battery's.. I would say I run into a situation about twice a week where I need to swap my battery out.. It takes 10 seconds to change the battery (yes I timed myself lol) and phone reboots in less then 20 seconds. The point Is i can enjoy my note 2 the way it is ment to be enjoyed,, not shutting down all the wonderful features of a smartphone. This is just my opinion and my suggestion and I am in no way :D saying this in a hostile tone so please, nobody jump down my throat. Lol

I have 4 batteries and use 3, thanks to the publicly floating 50% off codes for Samsung (even got 2 of them with the chargers which work great.) Whenever a battery drains I just swap it for a juiced one. Never plug in the device now. Definitely feel freer not having to stay near the AC.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Errrr do what with what!!!!!!

Basically saying root, flash the clean Rom and the perseus kernel. It's not guaranteed though... perseus personally killed my battery life.

Although it gives you the ability to overclock and undervolt....

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away

fratermus

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just got 4.1.2 and now maps is top battery drain when I look in settings. What is the setting always report from this device? Is that something I need on in order for Google now to work correctly?

Under settings | location services.

Google Now will not do the card thing without it 'though search will still work. Maps will definitely complain, and I may refuse to run. Haven't used that lately.

You might put a shortcut on the screen (longpress | shortcuts | settings | location services) to make toggling easier.

I don't see an obvious way to toggle it in llama/tasker, but if it were possible you could make it turn on location then run Now/Maps/Whatever and it could turn off Location afterwards. Maybe manageable with intents? I don't know much about that.

from tapatalk (Galaxy Note 2)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend that users shy away from Task Kill apps since 4.0 ICS. One thing that was hurting battery life on 4.1 and 4.2 devices on the Nexus lines was Google Currents; turning auto sync off on Currents solved battery life for many people. Not sure if that's the issue here or not, but perhapts it's worth a shot!

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Im still having the Maps Battery drain. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesnt. Last night I thought my phone got somehow fixed and I was so happy it lasted 2 days and maps was only using about 4% of battery but then I charge it and as soon as I took it off the charger Maps started to rise to the top of the battery list untill it was at 40%

Im so sick of trying to mess with it. It really is getting to the point that Im pretty pissed off already... I dont want to mess around with Maps and settings everyday... The difference is huge when maps is working right. I can sleep for 7 hours and my phone only drops down to 94% but when maps is draining the battery I lose about 3% an hour even if the phone is sitting there as I sleep...

I wish there were a definite fix for this...

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Under settings | location services.

Google Now will not do the card thing without it 'though search will still work. Maps will definitely complain, and I may refuse to run. Haven't used that lately.

You might put a shortcut on the screen (longpress | shortcuts | settings | location services) to make toggling easier.

I don't see an obvious way to toggle it in llama/tasker, but if it were possible you could make it turn on location then run Now/Maps/Whatever and it could turn off Location afterwards. Maybe manageable with intents? I don't know much about that.

from tapatalk (Galaxy Note 2)

Report location from this device turned off I still have the issue. Im really not sure like I said in my post above.. But I still do get cards with that turned off. It's the other option that you turn off that will pretty much not allow google now to work at all. I love google now I just hope they get this issue fixed. You would have thought that since the S3 had the problem with the same update. Why wouldnt they have fixed it then? I mean, like I said. People do factory resets and it still doesnt fix the problem.

We need more people to Rate and Review Google Search / Google Now and Map's giving it 1 star and talking about the issue in the review. Maybe then it will be fixed. This problem is just not going to go away without them fixing it.

Im just amazed more people don't complain about it so we can get this Google Now / Map's problem fixed once and for all... Because if you have extra battery drain, there is a 99% chance its Map's eating your battery.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Last night my Battery was fine, all day it was fine. Map's was using under 2% or under from 3am to 9pm. I lost only 5% battery overnight with Wifi on. But Today I charged my Phone took it off the charger and I noticed Map's started to slowly make it's way back to the top of the Battery list in Settings. It really sucks how random it is. It's either great from the start or all bad... Why isn't Samsung doing anything about this?

It's a pretty big deal. When map's is acting up I lost about 15% overnight rather then 5% and you really can tell that your battery is burning away much faster then normal when Map's is working right.

I have everything turned off. Report from this device, ect. Latatude is off, check in's, everything. Like I said sometime's it is fine. I know this may sound weird but when I unplug my phone as soon as it say's phone charged and the screen light's up. I find that is when Maps works fine. But if I miss it only by a few seconds and let the screen turn off. Maps goes all freaky. So everytime I charge my phone I need to watch it very carefully and wait for the screen to turn on saying it's charged. (This is the pattern I have noticed anyway)

Really, Im just sick of always worrying about my battery life and weather or not Im going to be losing alot of battery or not. Im really getting sick of it. Everything else is fine beside's Maps...

I know there are many others with the issue and alot of people that dont even know they have the Maps issue they just know they have battery drain..

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that horrible drain.
Android os has NEVER been number 1 on my device in the list, here how my phone looks now.
Granted it's only been off the charger for 3 hrs I have screens of long term I'll post too . you definitely have something wrong here.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/5udy3a9u.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/ajysareq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/yhumu7un.jpg

Honestly, I'd start fresh and reload the OS
I never loose more than a couple percent over night, this phones battery is incredible, i never had a phone that lasted so long.

Sent from my ATT Note 2!

I see that map's is a big part of you're battery drain. Do you use it often or is that from it just running in the back round? The same thing happen's to me on my T-Mobile Note 2.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Ran SkyDroid golf GPS app yesterday for 18 holes; went from 93% to 66% over the ~4 hour round. My old Droid Charge would have completely run out of juice at about hole 15.

Win.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a issue with Maps on my Note 2. I will charge it and as soon as I take it off the charger, maps will quickly rise to the top of the list in settings/battery. I'll just have unpluged that happens I put my phone down to go to sleep.

I check again in the morning and maps is at about 35% - 45% battery drain at the top of the list of course. That's after about about 6 or 7 hours of sleep. With no use of maps or no use of the phone at all. System will be at about 16% screen will be at about 20% since I haven't used the phone.

During the day I use maybe 2 hours of screen time on a average light use day. Maps is still 2nd to the top of screen. Without any use of maps at all. I've tried un installing, deleting data, cache, ect. Re installed newesr maps update after a reboot. Same thing happens again after the second charge after a reboot.

If I reboot my phone and charge it up, unplug it once it's charged, go to bed and maps runs fine from morning to night, as long as I don't charge it. It stays at it's normal 2-3% doing it's background thing... that whole charge. I can even use maps for a while it goes up to maybe 14% then drops back down to 2-3% after I back out of it and a hour or so pass.

But then I charge it up unplug it and maps rises to the top again. Within minuets of me taking it off the charger. I can tell the difference in battery drain when maps does this.

I've tried everything. I have a T-mobile Note 2 and this has been happening since I got 4.1.2 I've posted about this before and if anyone can really help me with this as in fix it, know a fix. I'll donate $10 to you via paypal.

Thanks, Dustin.