Most protective case for SGN2: OtterBox?

mandyDETH

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My fellow SGN2 brethren, today I witnessed a traumatic event. My brother dropped his SG3 from the car door today after a trip to IKEA (ironically I was NFCing him links to cases while he proclaimed "I don't need one of those, I'm never going to drop him). Despite exclaiming a loud "I TOLD YOU SO!" instead I was crushed with grief. He literally got the phone less than a month ago, but the screen was absolutely demolished. What made me feel terrible is that he just got me the SGN2 maybe a week ago as an early birthday/Christmas gift for me since I'm just starting my own business.

:'(

Now to the point of this anecdote:
I haven't read too much about the SGN2 screen breaking, (whereas I've read nearly 30 pages of complaints regarding the screen on the SG3). But as I've said; I'm now terrified of breaking the screen with a 3ft drop. I ordered the OtterBox Commuter, hastily, as it was available before the Defender, but now I'm wondering if that will be enough to protect it from any kind of drop. I may just order both cases and see what happens (the cost of both cases is still $25 less than a Square Trade warranty, and there's no deductible). I've dropped my old iPhone 4 probably 10 times since it came out and the OtterBox has served me well, but it was a Defender series, and it's let me use the phone worry free. I'm just wondering if the Commuter will give me the same piece of mind as the Defender, or if there's a case that offers anymore protection?

EatMyTracers

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't think the defender is a good daily case, the phone is already big and as everyone knows the defender is a huge case. I will be getting the defender for when I do outdoor activities such as mountain biking and snowboarding other then that I am going to use my phone naked, not even a screen protector. If you really think you need that much protection then go with the communter not the defender, the defender is probably way to big for a daily case.

mandyDETH

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
That was one of the dilemmas I was having. It's a huge phone, I don't think anyone disagrees with that; however, I wear skinny jeans most of the time and currently have no issue shoving it in my back pocket with no case. With the commuter, I think I won't have much of an issue shoving it in my pocket, still.

I just can't understand how anyone could use the phone without a case or a warranty that covers accidental damage from handling. The phone retails damn near $700 and it seems silly to not protect something like that just to get the 'natural feel'. Kinda goes hand-in-hand with the 'why you should wear a condom argument', the box of condoms is much cheaper than the child support.

Let me stop myself from that tangent. My fear as you can imagine is that he had a Samsung product of similar design and quality, and a 3ft drop demolished his phone. I've seen the drop tests, and they looked promising, but obviously they're not the most scientific tests, and are horribly inconsistent with a lot of people's real-life drop experiences. I just want to know that if I should ever drop my phone while it's in the case that I'll be able to pick it up in one piece as opposed to a pile of glass and one piece.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like your the perfect candidate to try out the Seido Active case. I'm in a similar situation you are actually in that I want a protective case but the Defender will just be too ridiculously bulky when added to the Note 2. I considered buying an Otterbox Commuter but I eventually decided on the Seido Active case. I'm still waiting for my case to arrive but I've heard great things from nearly everyone on these forums about the Seido case and that it's very protective but doesn't add TOO much bulk. Plus the kickstand is a bonus.

I'm curious to see what the Commuter series looks like and how bulky it would be on the Note 2. Maybe when you get yours delivered you could post some pictures of it and your thoughts, because I'm going to try to post some pictures of the Seido Active when I get it (how I'm going to take a picture of the Active case while on the device, when my only camera is my actual Note 2 I haven't figured out yet though).

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my note2 from a height of around four feet onto a tiled floor. Didn't break. So its not that flimsy. :D But it did send me into shocked silence for a few seconds. I was using the original samsung flip cover but I placed an order for a seidio case after the incident. I guess a fall at the wrong angle can totally wreck most phones.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

punchfacejay

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
That was one of the dilemmas I was having. It's a huge phone, I don't think anyone disagrees with that; however, I wear skinny jeans most of the time and currently have no issue shoving it in my back pocket with no case. With the commuter, I think I won't have much of an issue shoving it in my pocket, still.

I just can't understand how anyone could use the phone without a case or a warranty that covers accidental damage from handling. The phone retails damn near $700 and it seems silly to not protect something like that just to get the 'natural feel'. Kinda goes hand-in-hand with the 'why you should wear a condom argument', the box of condoms is much cheaper than the child support.

Let me stop myself from that tangent. My fear as you can imagine is that he had a Samsung product of similar design and quality, and a 3ft drop demolished his phone. I've seen the drop tests, and they looked promising, but obviously they're not the most scientific tests, and are horribly inconsistent with a lot of people's real-life drop experiences. I just want to know that if I should ever drop my phone while it's in the case that I'll be able to pick it up in one piece as opposed to a pile of glass and one piece.

My note 2 slipped out of my gym shorts yesterday as I was getting in my car. Fell 2 feet to the ground and took a chip out of the screen. :( 2 FEET! :mad:

So yes this phone is prone to cracked screens! I love it buy not nearly as durable as my Droid X.

I had no case as I was still waiting for one I liked, but I did invest in Best Buys Geek Squad protection. Looking into a case now...

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Like ive been telling some people. .. samsungs build quality is not where near Motorolas. Every htc and samsung ive seen amoung my friends had cracked screens. All my Motorola friends weren't. Its not the glass but all the plastic around it doesn't hold it firm. And this is always why they are so light in weight.
Anyways... yes I agree with you guys, this should protected. I think im going to run the active

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got the commuter and it's an awesome safe case. I'm done case shopping this is great protection.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Defender is a great case. As mentioned above its a huge phone already so you dont want to add too much bulk. But because its big when it falls it'll fall hard. Im waiting for my defender to arrive and plan on switching between a thinner case and the otterbox.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I love my Ballistic case. Best case I ever have. (yet) And no, you STILL CAN'T ORDER the case from shopandroid since I need a case asap. So I bought mine direct from the company. :D

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I paid twice as much plus tax at a stand in the mall.I feel thoroughly protected.I would never use any cases from tmobile and at&t's selection was less than that.

relentlessplayer..using the mighty SGH-T889

Yeah I knew to check amazon.com. I had a credit for AT&T and their cases were cosmetic and stupid on top of that.

Only thing I don't like about my Commuter, it is HELL getting off lol

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to take this opportunity to suggest the Trident Kraken. I have one for my gnex, and I'll be getting one for my note 2. You can't beat the protection, and having modular accessories is a cool plus. The Belt clip is absolute rubbish on them, but having the hard plastic over the silicone makes it pocketable even with the added bulk. Their customer service is second to none as well. I really cannot recommend their product enough.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar