Headphones in and Notification Sound still coming through speakers

terpdog

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this "problem". I'm used to all my other phones setup so that when the headphone jack is plugged in all sound goes there.

I was sitting in the office and noticed that the notification seemed loud and when I took off my headphones noticed that was because the notification came through the speakers.

Yes my headphones were plugged in all the way.

Thanks for any information about this.

miss aloha

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes I experience that also worth my hands free device and want to know where the setting is to stop it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

terpdog

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Do you know cyanogen-man??

It was kinda annoying when sitting in the library listening to some music and not realizing that everyone around you also hears the damn whistle notification and you are the idiot that didn't turn down the sound, when I had my headphones on and didn't even realize it! :)

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this as well....its annoying, but you can go into settings and turn off the sound for notifications in the sound section...

terpdog

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
you can but it is unexpected behavior to me. usually when you have headphones or blue tooth all sound goes to that device by default. This is the first Samsung that I've had so they must just be different than everyone else!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this "problem". I'm used to all my other phones setup so that when the headphone jack is plugged in all sound goes there.

I was sitting in the office and noticed that the notification seemed loud and when I took off my headphones noticed that was because the notification came through the speakers.

Yes my headphones were plugged in all the way.

Thanks for any information about this.

That happens to me too. It happens on my S3 and Nexus too.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

crosshair

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Press and hold the power\lock button to mute everything except the media sound after plugging in your headset. All of the sound settings will return to your previous settings when you unplug your headset.

This appears to be an Android bug and others are also using "SoundAbout" from the play store to work around this issue of automatically muting the external speaker when you plug in your headset.

Issue 16667 - android - Notifications are played through external speaker when headphones are plugged in - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-05-20-40-40 - Copy.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-05-20-40-40 - Copy.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 67

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Press and hold the power\lock button to mute everything except the media sound after plugging in your headset. All of the sound settings will return to your previous settings when you unplug your headset.

This appears to be an Android bug and others are also using "SoundAbout" from the play store to work around this issue of automatically muting the external speaker when you plug in your headset.

Issue 16667 - android - Notifications are played through external speaker when headphones are plugged in - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I wonder if this will work for bluetooth devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

woodslink

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
If you want notification to go through the headset, but not speakers, try SoundAbout in Google Play. Just un-check the "Notification to speaker" option.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Notification going through the speaker can be useful.

I listen to a pillow speaker at night.

But I want the alarm to sound in the morning through the phone speaker.

My question (a bit OT) is how to turn off the beep when the charger is plugged in. (I'd settle for only turning it off when my wife is asleep. :) )

1MariaS

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so very much (crosshair) for mentioning SoundAbout in your response to someone else's dilemma.... You are awesome!! I just installed the app and restarted my phone then adjusted the settings to my preferences .... The app does Exactly what I wanted... All sounds come through my headset now! Thanks Again!

TheChaiShop

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i hear constant clicking when i plug my headphones.. even if the volume is on "mute"? is that the same thing?
its stops only when im on the main search screen. if i open the notification slide the ticking sound comes back.... any ideas of how to fix it?

glennsmooth1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I just had an online chat with Samsung Tech support. They say that all of their phones do this but couldn't give me a reason why. When you plug headphones into a phone ALL sounds should come through the headphones (you know, kind of like an iPhone). Android and Samsung, please, if you've read any of the 1,000,000 online complaints about this issue the past few years, please get this resolved. A 3rd party app shouldn't be needed to fix this.

jimweda

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I have no idea who in their right mind would have changed this. It used to work properly a long time ago. Sound About used to fix the problem but the last 4 or 5 updates the developer has messed things up and doesn't seem to know how to get it back. This is so irritating. Why would you want notifications and ringer to go to speaker when you have headphones on. And silencing those two sounds makes no sense. What if someone calls or you have an alarm set, how are you supposed to hear it. Don't say vibrate either because I never feel mine vibrate. Point is I have headphones on, I want all sounds through there, not some stranger telling me my phone is making loud sounds. Someone please make them change it back.

anon(9821555)

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Yes , I had the same issue on a sam. S5 . I found the case was getting in the way just enough to send notifications through the local speaker and music through the earbuds. I changed my headphones and eventually my case. If it persists , contact phone manufacturer since it's probably a hardware fault.

Bziggz

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
Might be a little late to help most out but this is for people in the future with this problem. Not sure if its a fix for everyone but this worked for me.
Settings - > Advanced - > Accessibility - > Mono Audio -> Turn off
Saw some stuff about a 3rd party app called SoundAbout. It will help fix the problem aswell but i kept looking for a solution because i didn't think that a 3rd party app was the only fix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca