S-Pen, S-Note, Evernote, and other note-taking/handwriting apps

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, after owning the Note 2 for almost a month, I finally am trying to explore the stylus a bit. I like the idea of taking handwritten notes, but it seems it's still not quite fully "baked." I'll explain:

First off, it would be nice to have something better integrated with Evernote. I know you can sync S-Notes with Evernote, but it seems the note just gets added as a file attachment, and there's no way to actually open that attachment once it's in Evernote. So then what good is that?

Second, it would be nice to be able to set the default app that starts when you take the stylus out. Right now it's S-Memo or nothing. Heck, even being able to open a new S-Note would be better, as I'll explain below.

S-Note vs. S-Memo. It was a bit difficult understanding that there seem to be different content types within the note S-Note app. So you can do a full S-Note, but an S-Memo (which doesn't have an associated app, it's just a content type within S-Note) is similar but has a lot fewer capabilities. Specifically, you don't have the tools icon so you can't do andwriting recognition, shape recognition, etc. So what if I want to take out my pen and scribble a quick not but have it do handwriting recognition? Right now, I just have S-Memo open up. As far as I can tell, there is no way to then tell it to bring that memo into an S-Note. It's either an S-Note or S-Memo and they will never be transferrable.

Ultimately what I'd love is for the ability for it to bring up a new Evernote note and do handrwiting recognition within it. I realize you can install Skitch, but apparently it only does drawing, not handrwriting recognition. I suppose I could also share a note with Evernote, but it seems awfully manual. Optimally it should just sync as the S-Notes are supposed to - but sync into a format Evernote can display inline rather than as an attached file...

There seem to be numerous handwriting apps that come up when I search the app store, but I haven't started downloading and playing with any yet, so I thought I'd query folks here to see if anyone has played around with any of these apps to see what works best.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I have my Note 2 set up to open the S Pen page buddy when the pen is removed (I have S Memo turned off). That way, I just have to click on one icon to start a new S Note. It also displays other apps at the bottom which I frequently use the S Pen with (such as Quill). Quite possibly, if you use the S Pen every time with Evernote, it might get added to that list.

If you are using the stock Samsung keyboard, there is an option to have the keyboard display the handwriting window automatically when the pen is out of its slot. You could then have Evernote open and use the pen to do handwriting recognition.

Quill has an export option that can save handwritten notes as PNG or PDF, and will export to Evernote. I haven't tried that, but it might do what you are looking for.

wendywelton

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Xopher,

I'm new and having trouble finding settings. "If you are using the stock Samsung keyboard, there is an option to have the keyboard display the handwriting window automatically when the pen is out of its slot. You could then have Evernote open and use the pen to do handwriting recognition." Where is that setting?

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Xopher,

I'm new and having trouble finding settings. "If you are using the stock Samsung keyboard, there is an option to have the keyboard display the handwriting window automatically when the pen is out of its slot. You could then have Evernote open and use the pen to do handwriting recognition." Where is that setting?

I would like to know too, Evernote handwriting recognition?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
In Evernote, when you have a keyboard displayed while editing a note, make sure you have the Samsung keyboard selected. There should be a keyboard selector in the notification area.

To manually display the handwriting pad, press and hold on the microphone button. There will be a button to switch to the handwriting pad. You can switch back to the keyboard by long pressing on the mic again.

To have it automatically display the handwriting pad when you take the S Pen out, press and hold on the mic button, then go into Settings. There should be an option called Pen Detection. Checking this should make it display automatically just by taking the pen out of its slot.

With the handwriting pad displayed, anything you write should be converted to text. You can even write a couple of words and it will add spaces properly. The only downside is that it doesn't always add spaces between words, so you might have to click the space bar above the writing pad between words.

jrudes

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
These S-pen apps are very interesting. I too have had the Note 2 for about a month and am just starting to explore the pen function. Linking to evernote is very cool. A little more seemless, automatic function with spaces in between words would likely be better. Meanwhile do any of you know of an s-pen that I could keep in my pocket that also has an ink function? I always like having that ink function last time I carried a stylus. JR

4fool

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried the S-pen with Microsoft OneNote. Does it support both ink mode and handwriting recognition? I hugely prefer OneNote to Evernote.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
After toying with One Note, i can say that the S Pen appears to be fully integrated into the app. Handwriting recognition works well, at least on my tests.

When opening a new note, the keyboard will pop up and you just tap the microphone/pen button on the lower part of the keyboard and it will then change to the handwriting panel.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

4fool

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Jevangil. I am almost convinced that I should get the Note 2!

dvdmon - take a look at this video review of the S-pen from pocketnow. It seems to show exactly what you say can't be done - start up an S-Note upon removing the S-pen from the dock. Yet another easy way is at around 4:00 minutes into the video - hold the button on the S-pen and double tap on the screen.

Last edited:

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have mine setup so that when I remove my S Pen, it opens up a new note.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Jennings Richmond

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
In Evernote, when you have a keyboard displayed while editing a note, make sure you have the Samsung keyboard selected. There should be a keyboard selector in the notification area.

To manually display the handwriting pad, press and hold on the microphone button. There will be a button to switch to the handwriting pad. You can switch back to the keyboard by long pressing on the mic again.

To have it automatically display the handwriting pad when you take the S Pen out, press and hold on the mic button, then go into Settings. There should be an option called Pen Detection. Checking this should make it display automatically just by taking the pen out of its slot.

With the handwriting pad displayed, anything you write should be converted to text. You can even write a couple of words and it will add spaces properly. The only downside is that it doesn't always add spaces between words, so you might have to click the space bar above the writing pad between words.

Shorter method:

Settings > Language and Input > Samsung Keyboard Settings (the little cog icon on the right) > Enable Pen Detection (check this box)

Now whenever you have the pen out and the keyboard would pop up you now have the handwriting "pad". And yes, I do mean whenever. You can write anything.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Tatiana Aranaa

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
hello looking for the S Note Alternative for iPhone...
Love the add for the Galaxy Note, and looking something like that fo my iPhone
thanks

- - - Updated - - -

hello looking for the S Note Alternative for iPhone...
Love the add for the Galaxy Note, and looking something like that fo my iPhone
thanks

wpoveromo

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I reviewed and evaluated Evernote, Livescribe, S-Note and some other keyboard entries. This is what works for me.

Just use the handwriting to text input method on the Samsung Keyboard with s note. I use one of the Memo templates that has things like date time etc... when you share, you first it will give you options that includes text only, You then can select ever note So it will then only send the text that is just like you typed it in Ever note. I like the template because it will also include the things like attendees, time stamp,etc...

Like some on e else mentioned, you could also just open ever note t use the handwriting input method on the Samsung keyboard. I have terrible writing but it works great. You could then opend Sketch for any drawings.

The problem w/s note is its.Snb files aren't great sharing. Then what happens it you stop using that application? I am going to use Ever note t have the natural ability to handwrite for meetings & stillthe ability to add drawings, pies o sketches inside Ever note. I Can then easily share since Ever note is compatible & Searchable with ALL of my devices. It also has the audio record option.

I did look at Live scribe but the problem is I need a tablet or computer anyway if I wanted to search notes.The handwriting → text Keyboard gives me the same natural note taking I want with the power of having all the electronic into I need at my fingertips.

Ever note also has the checkboxes and easy format options I can quickly select. The only trade off is it I want to draw circles or lines pointing to text but that is pretty rare for my daily note taking for meetings.

now it I could take a combo of handwriting to text + include any of my lines r circles that is searchable all in Ever note that would be way cool. Livekribe basically does just that and is searchable, They also have a add on by my script that Can convert my handwriting to text . But it only will take the text which is just like the share option on my tablet. I still don't have the electronic into or search features it I just walk into a meeting with a Live scribe journal.

Any thoughts or comments?

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Note Everything is a comprehensive note taking app that is easy to use but has many features including many sharing options (to Google docs among others). Plus the notes are plain text and are readily available in the phone storage.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

mgrant

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there some way to easily insert a diagram/drawing done with the s-pen into a OneNote note on the phone?

The only way I could find was to get into S-Note (either by holding stylus button and double-tapping or from the launcher), then do your drawing, then export it into the gallery, then import it as a static image. This isn't what I want. I want to be able to embed an editable image inside a note. Is it possible with OneNote Mobile?

Ace Bezerka

May 20, 2013
Visit site
After toying with One Note, i can say that the S Pen appears to be fully integrated into the app. Handwriting recognition works well, at least on my tests.

When opening a new note, the keyboard will pop up and you just tap the microphone/pen button on the lower part of the keyboard and it will then change to the handwriting panel.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

I have tried for hours and have been unable to get pen input to OneNote Mobil. I am a very experienced user of Onenote on the PC platform and wold love to see it on the Android with pen support. the voice support is excellent but I'm sad to say I can see no pen support in the latest release. If I'm missing something please point it out!

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
You must select the Samsung keyboard and then select the stylus. However, you wasting your time, One Note does not support the pen.

Sent from the Samsung 10.1 Note.

surfgeek

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Is there some way to easily insert a diagram/drawing done with the s-pen into a OneNote note on the phone?

The only way I could find was to get into S-Note (either by holding stylus button and double-tapping or from the launcher), then do your drawing, then export it into the gallery, then import it as a static image. This isn't what I want. I want to be able to embed an editable image inside a note. Is it possible with OneNote Mobile?

One less step would be to cut the image of your drawing by pressing the spen button and circling the area. Hit the back button and this will place it in the clipboard. Haven't figured out how to paste in OneNote, but you can then import the image from the gallery in the screenshots folder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674