09-02-2018 10:20 AM
67 123
tools
    ok so what if I deleted files without checking them and now that i open up certain apps like music player or hide it pro or downloads s memo among others, they are not there!! Is there a way to recuperate these misc. files i accidentally deleted??? Please help me... I have been searching on the web and everyone suggests to upload backup/restore apps, but they do not work with the galaxy s3 as when it is plugged in, its not recognized as a mass storage mode, which doesnt allow me to open the phones card up.. oh yeah the misc. files are not saved to the sd card, they are saved to the phones card ...thanks :- \:' (
    Believe it or not, check the USB cable you are using. Some of them only work for charging while others work for charging and file transfer.
    12-06-2013 08:32 AM
    Last week I rooted using the Casual file to root and unlock my bootloader. I just happened to check my device storage and it went to only 3.1 gb left of available space! I think I had something like just under 6 gb available memory before rooting. When I happened to check the other day and saw how little space I had left, I clicked on the miscellanous Files (it was over 11gb by the way) and the largest file was my Twrp app/files. So since I rooted just to avoid the 4.3 update, I decided the update was the lesser of two evils and unrooted and flashed back to stock 4.1.2. Now i'm back to having just over 9 gb of available space on my phone and that is more important to me. Another reason why I prefer for my next phone to be at least 32gb, like my GS 3 was.
    12-06-2013 10:16 AM
    Just thought i should add a solution for those worried about this misc folder size, its actually in most cases simply cached media from apps like instagram, facebook and twitter in order to save users data plans from a beating they cache videos directly on to the device ready to play the next time. I have just looked and my misc file size was at 2.4gb so i went to apps into instagram and its cache size was surprise surprise 2.4 gb i cleared that and my misc file size has dropped down in to the Kb.
    wcli likes this.
    05-26-2014 05:29 AM
    But what if I did delete a file, and now my tablet won't download anything. What do I do???? Will some one please help me?
    05-26-2014 10:42 AM
    I'm not allowed to download anything that costs money, and I was trying to change the default storage settings because all the apps I tried to download were saying that. What do I do to fix that?
    05-26-2014 10:49 AM
    I have a couple of large apps, Injustice, etc and have moved them to the sd card. The problem is that I'd you follow where the data is, they're still on the internal memory of the phone. I think there may be a bit of an error there.
    Anyway, my misc storage is up around 7gb full but when I total it all up it comes out at just over 1gb. I've tried clearing the cache, and factory reset but nothing is helping. Think I'm just going to have to be more selective with what I install.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-27-2014 02:46 AM
    Same problems here. On my note2 almost 6GB in use for the OS. Totally unacceptable. I'm trying to regain some memory by uninstalling apps. I have a handfull of custom apps occupying a few mb's while in the meantime i have dozens of crap apps that are forced upon me and a giant OS. It's like shaving an elephant to save some weight. I have no music or vids on the phone.
    hollyad likes this.
    07-25-2014 03:23 PM
    Flash an aokp rom
    As it seems you all are doing everything else right.

As for the games on op
    Some games have data in an obb folder on the internal memory, like final fantasy iv, even if you move the apk which is like 4mb, this data stays where it is. And needs to stay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
    07-26-2014 11:26 PM
    Aokp roms are very modded and very small as they have no touchwiz or bloat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
    07-26-2014 11:27 PM
    So, I've been using a free utility called Clean Master on my rooted device and it seemed to have freed up 90% of the junk. I like doing this rather than randomly deleting stuff I might need. Freed up almost 4GB
    08-29-2014 10:39 PM
    Use clean master app to remove all such unwanted files and to remove temp. files
    09-05-2014 02:28 AM
    Clean Master from any particular developer? There are loads with that name (or one very similar)
    09-11-2014 12:59 PM
    I did this before. Deleted even the files that are still installed in my device. That's when certain apps started to messed up. I end up factory resetting my phone. Deleting those that are already uninstalled doesn't have a problem though.
    10-09-2014 03:37 PM
    I had this issue and deleted almost every app, picture, or video but nothing helped until I actually went to My Files -> Android -> Data and selected all from that Data folder and deleted. I have had no issues with any of my apps and that out of space error is not showing anymore.

Note: I was so frustrated that I didn't care about deleting everything in that folder, because my next step was to format my phone to its original setting and erase everything. But thankfully that delete all didn't break anything on my phone, but you can review those files if you want before deleting.
    RJ Oakley likes this.
    10-25-2014 10:32 AM
    MYSTERY RESOLVED****MYSTERY RESOLVED****MYSTERY RESOLVED

OK After going through lot of stuff and by combining I finally managaed to free up my miscellaneous space on tab 3 from $ GB to 163 MB.

Step 1. Install disk usage
    Step 2 Install Solid Explorer
    Step 3 Launch Disk Usage
    Step 4 I found a subfolder named obbo under Andriod folder which was teh culprit.
    Step 5 I reviewed the files and found that they were related to some previous uninstalled games finally I deleted all of them.

and wooohooo My free space got 4 GB from 165 MB . Thansk u All for your comments & support.
    Stephanie Sanders likes this.
    11-27-2014 11:16 PM
    hey! i deleted all the misc. files and nothing happend xD .......i even deleted whatsapp files and no pictures/video of whatsap were deleted
    12-26-2014 07:13 AM
    I had this issue and deleted almost every app, picture, or video but nothing helped until I actually went to My Files -> Android -> Data and selected all from that Data folder and deleted. I have had no issues with any of my apps and that out of space error is not showing anymore.

Note: I was so frustrated that I didn't care about deleting everything in that folder, because my next step was to format my phone to its original setting and erase everything. But thankfully that delete all didn't break anything on my phone, but you can review those files if you want before deleting.
    I too had tried just about everything, even found a hidden sub folder with duplicates of all my Dropbox files and tried removing that to no avail. Finally I tried Taline's suggestion above and deleted the contents of Android -> Data, and that did it! My Applications data storage went from 10gb down to 2.7gb. Still stuck with over 5gb "miscellaneous files" and suspect it may be my synced Dropbox files, but at least my phone has some breathing room again.
    RJ Oakley likes this.
    01-18-2015 01:39 AM
    no offense taken at all. I try to help people with whatever I know. I'm no expert at all, so I can always learn something. This is what we're all here for to communicate, have fun and learn from one another. No apology necessary, it's cooL
    You two are awesome. Most people have a ***** fight and as amusing as that often is,it leaves the rest of us confused. Well done and thanks for your honesty and helpful suggestions
    01-20-2015 05:51 PM
    Miscellaneous files are covering the full space of my phone I want to know how to delete it
    05-20-2015 10:22 AM
    My miscellaneous folder also has almost 6GB. When i open it it says 2.75GB is from whatsapp, and 2.35GB is from thumbnails!!

Can i delete these? (it has the option to delete) I'm just scared of what will happen.

what are thumbnails and what will happen if i delete them from the Miscellaneous folder??

Thanks
    05-22-2015 04:49 AM
    The miscellaneous files can include different things depending on your phone. In most Samsung devices the system files are included there, so it's normal that they show a big size. In general it could be better not deleting files from there. It's good to have an idea of what's taking your space but better using other options to delete them (through your apps settings for example).

Some of the files included there will be cache files, for example the thumbnails mentioned before. Those are small copies of pictures that you downloaded when using your apps or browsing (that includes avatars, social media, wallpaper database, etc).
    06-29-2015 10:10 AM
    Used Disk Usage and found that the Android Download Manager cache was taking over 3G! However System Memory still showing 5.46G so no joy in fixing that yet....
    07-08-2015 02:40 PM
    Just in case, if anyone is still facing this issue, here's a way that worked for a friend of mine on Samsung Galaxy Core 2. In particular, I think this problem occurs mainly in TouchWiz. Never saw anyone with this issue on Stock Android... Perhaps it is time to come to the bright side.

1. Remove SD card.
    2. Reset to factory default
    3. Check 'Storage' and you'll see the total file size displayed is now decreasing.

Hope this helps a burning soul.
    07-11-2015 03:56 PM
    JUST REBOOT!!!!!
    After much reading and fumbling around with this the miscellaneous file problem using up all my tablets space, about 6.9Gb, I tried rebooting and BAM, IT WENT DOWN TO ---- UNDER 700 MB.

HOPE IT WORKS EVERYONE!
    RobGPowell likes this.
    08-11-2015 03:33 PM
    In my settings/storage/misc I have 8gb in a folder labeled .system. I'm afraid to delete it but it is the culprit tying up all my storage. How can I delete this amount of storage and not screw up my andriod??
    08-20-2015 04:28 PM
67 123