Storage settings? Miscellaneous files?what 6 gb?

executiveg

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I went into my Storage settings.
I noticed the miscellaneous files is taking up 6 gb.
l only had the phone for a week.
what is this and How Can I get My gb back?

Sent from my Verizon Note 2.SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums .

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354946962860.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354946962860.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 360

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's stuff that came loaded in the phone. Most of it part of the OS and probably files that the phone needs. You can tap on it and it will show you what files they are. Some you can delete if you want to but I wouldn't touch it unless I was a phone expert and knew that the files I was deleting wasn't going to interfere with how my phone would perform. You can always tap on it just to look at what's occupying the space though

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't sound right. I'm almost 100% sure that memory used for the OS isn't even displayed on the storage screen. It only shows you the breakdown from your available storage so makaroni is wrong on that one.

Chances are that you have something that is caching a large file on your phone. "cloudagent" is considered a miscellaneous file so it could be anything from files/pics linked throu your dropbox which are unfortunately still cached on your phone or if you use Google Play Music, the large size might be from music that's pinned to your device. My advice would be to use a file explorer and look through your cloudagent files. I have found old files and whole folders that were erased from my drop box yet were still cached in cloudagent. Just delete the ones you no longer need stored on your phone but make sure you only delete folders that are no longer in you dropbox or else they'll just reappear once cloudagent syncs with dropbox again.

Also I think some app data (depending on the app) is stored as miscellaneous. I think Snote notes and all the books in the library in my ereader app are also stored in Miscellaneous. Really your best bet is to get a file explorer and root around in the files. If you're not rooted then you won't have to worry about deleting OS files as you won't even have access to them. To be safe though only delete the files you put on the phone. Hope that helps.

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have quite a bit installed and my misc folder is only 12.33MB, however I do keep program cache cleared and relocate photos, downloads, & screenshots to my external card. If you touch miscellaneous in the photo you posted, it'll actually show you every file from biggest to smallest.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Same here, I posted about it in the Verizon forum. Apparently it's the software. Miscellaneous is at 5.89 and when I open it it says "System Memory 5.77Gb"

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't sound right. I'm almost 100% sure that memory used for the OS isn't even displayed on the storage screen. It only shows you the breakdown from your available storage so makaroni is wrong on that one.

Chances are that you have something that is caching a large file on your phone. "cloudagent" is considered a miscellaneous file so it could be anything from files/pics linked throu your dropbox which are unfortunately still cached on your phone or if you use Google Play Music, the large size might be from music that's pinned to your device. My advice would be to use a file explorer and look through your cloudagent files. I have found old files and whole folders that were erased from my drop box yet were still cached in cloudagent. Just delete the ones you no longer need stored on your phone but make sure you only delete folders that are no longer in you dropbox or else they'll just reappear once cloudagent syncs with dropbox again.

Also I think some app data (depending on the app) is stored as miscellaneous. I think Snote notes and all the books in the library in my ereader app are also stored in Miscellaneous. Really your best bet is to get a file explorer and root around in the files. If you're not rooted then you won't have to worry about deleting OS files as you won't even have access to them. To be safe though only delete the files you put on the phone. Hope that helps.

i guess I stand corrected. In my phone when i first got it, there were some files already in there which I believed that they came pre loaded in the phone. Your answer sounds logical though because when I check mine now, there are some that weren't in there b4.

Lochar

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem too. I barely put any apps on the phone yet and have the same issue. I moved all pics to ex card and no vids right. Showing 8g used already and most of this is in misc. When you drop down further their are no large files so it's hidden. Is it Verizon bloat ware?

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
i guess I stand corrected. In my phone when i first got it, there were some files already in there which I believed that they came pre loaded in the phone. Your answer sounds logical though because when I check mine now, there are some that weren't in there b4.

Sorry, I didn't mean to diminish what you said, but I have had similar problems on my S3 (nothing on my Note II) and using a file explorer really helped. I used to think it was system files so I just ignored it but then It became too large to ignore and I did some digging. I only use International phones though so you are correct that some of the data stored in Misc. might be from carrier bloatware but I don't want the OP to be scared to delete something because they thought it was a system file.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean to diminish what you said, but I have had similar problems on my S3 (nothing on my Note II) and using a file explorer really helped. I used to think it was system files so I just ignored it but then It became too large to ignore and I did some digging. I only use International phones though so you are correct that some of the data stored in Misc. might be from carrier bloatware but I don't want the OP to be scared to delete something because they thought it was a system file.

no offense taken at all. I try to help people with whatever I know. I'm no expert at all, so I can always learn something. This is what we're all here for to communicate, have fun and learn from one another. No apology necessary, it's cooL

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting. I am showing 5.77GB being used for system memory. I am on Verizon so there is a lot of bloat, but that seems like a lot!!! Hopefully one of our OS experts can chime in here on what might be there.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Sitting at around 6gb in there, with only 1.5 left for apps and things. Not being able to move the apps to a memory card is starting to hurt. But it has made me go through and realize there were a tin of things on my phone that I never ever used. Did some cleaning out of my apps, but I still would like to free up more space.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Actually, mine is up to 9.99 gb right now. I would really like to know if there is anything I can do to curb this down. When I open it up, it shows System memory at 5.77gb and Program Data at 3.96 gb as my biggest culprits. everything else is at around 75 mb and below, and show actual app names. Thanks.

s4 user

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I tried clearing the cache on all applications then the misc storage goes down to 132mb from 7gb. I hope this help.:)

CHIQUIS08

May 23, 2013
Visit site
ok so what if I deleted files without checking them and now that i open up certain apps like music player or hide it pro or downloads s memo among others, they are not there!! Is there a way to recuperate these misc. files i accidentally deleted??? Please help me... I have been searching on the web and everyone suggests to upload backup/restore apps, but they do not work with the galaxy s3 as when it is plugged in, its not recognized as a mass storage mode, which doesnt allow me to open the phones card up.. oh yeah the misc. files are not saved to the sd card, they are saved to the phones card ...thanks :- \:' :)confused:

iHegde

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
The best thing you can do is this (for Samsung users): You need at least One hour to do this job and during this period, you phone might not be allowed to use. It would be good if you have WiFi in your place. Once the procedure is complete, your mobile data will be activated during activation of your mobile and you might be charged otherwise. So, better to avoid this, you need WiFi.

If you want, you can note down your current memory state, which you can compare and get to know how much memory you saved post following below instructions.

1. Take complete backup of your phone using Kies. Google out if you don't know how to take backup. Link for Ref: What can I backup and recover from my device using Kies? : Cell Phones | Samsung
2. Do hard reset of your mobile. Link: Samsung i9100 Galaxy S2 hard reset - PDA Smartphone PNA hard reset soft reset
3. Now you need to activate your device. Follow instruction on your phone. During this you can disconnect your mobile from your PC/laptop.
4. Once setup is done, all the apps which were installed before will start installing from Google play automatically. If you don't want that, you can cancel the installation. Here , you need WiFi or mobile data connectivity. If you cancel the apps installing, you can get those installed may be later. All purchased apps prior in google play can be installed without paying again :p (I know you knew it !!)
5. Once installation of apps are done or if you cancelled, you can connect back to your PC again.
6. Now its time to restore. Follow the instruction in link: What can I backup and recover from my device using Kies? : Cell Phones | Samsung (you can select everything while restoring including miscellaneous files)
7. Now DONE.. check whats the memory you got back !! Bingo !!

Regards,
Shishir Hegde

Last edited by a moderator:

tuswim

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
The best thing you can do is this (for Samsung users): You need at least One hour to do this job and during this period, you phone might not be allowed to use. It would be good if you have WiFi in your place. Once the procedure is complete, your mobile data will be activated during activation of your mobile and you might be charged otherwise. So, better to avoid this, you need WiFi.

If you want, you can note down your current memory state, which you can compare and get to know how much memory you saved post following below instructions.

1. Take complete backup of your phone using Kies. Google out if you don't know how to take backup. Link for Ref: What can I backup and recover from my device using Kies? : Cell Phones | Samsung
2. Do hard reset of your mobile. Link: Samsung i9100 Galaxy S2 hard reset - PDA Smartphone PNA hard reset soft reset
3. Now you need to activate your device. Follow instruction on your phone. During this you can disconnect your mobile from your PC/laptop.
4. Once setup is done, all the apps which were installed before will start installing from Google play automatically. If you don't want that, you can cancel the installation. Here , you need WiFi or mobile data connectivity. If you cancel the apps installing, you can get those installed may be later. All purchased apps prior in google play can be installed without paying again :p (I know you knew it !!)
5. Once installation of apps are done or if you cancelled, you can connect back to your PC again.
6. Now its time to restore. Follow the instruction in link: What can I backup and recover from my device using Kies? : Cell Phones | Samsung (you can select everything while restoring including miscellaneous files)
7. Now DONE.. check whats the memory you got back !! Bingo !!

Regards,
Shishir Hegde

I just tried this on a Verizon phone, I still have 6.33 gigs of misc files I can not delete, huge waste of time.

wiltavares135

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I tried this as well, and all of the miscellaneous files are still there, where did they come from? I had the GS4 since the release date, and noticed that I always had like 9 gigs free on the internal SD while using web.airdroid.com to upload and download files to and from my device. For months up untill a few weeks ago, I have never had this issue, seeing that there are many others with this issue now, tells me that this comes from the new MF9 software, In my case, I have a Sprint GS4, the MF9 software is able to move apps to external sd. I think that has something to do with the miscellaneous files that are unable to delete, this only started since I started to move all of my apps to my external sd card, YES, I KNOW, it doesnt make sense, but I just wanted to add a timeline here, hoping that a developer can see my post, and figure out the issue.

I am going to downgrade my device to try to prove my point.

Update at 08/26/2013

It worked by downgrading my OS using Odin; to MDC then upgrade to MDL and MF9, these are the OS's for SPH-720 Sprint but there are ways to do other versions of devices also.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante