Storage settings? Miscellaneous files?what 6 gb?

Ava Whetton

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
no offense taken at all. I try to help people with whatever I know. I'm no expert at all, so I can always learn something. This is what we're all here for to communicate, have fun and learn from one another. No apology necessary, it's cooL

You two are awesome. Most people have a ***** fight and as amusing as that often is,it leaves the rest of us confused. Well done and thanks for your honesty and helpful suggestions

Aerialyds

May 22, 2015
Visit site
My miscellaneous folder also has almost 6GB. When i open it it says 2.75GB is from whatsapp, and 2.35GB is from thumbnails!!

Can i delete these? (it has the option to delete) I'm just scared of what will happen.

what are thumbnails and what will happen if i delete them from the Miscellaneous folder??

Thanks

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The miscellaneous files can include different things depending on your phone. In most Samsung devices the system files are included there, so it's normal that they show a big size. In general it could be better not deleting files from there. It's good to have an idea of what's taking your space but better using other options to delete them (through your apps settings for example).

Some of the files included there will be cache files, for example the thumbnails mentioned before. Those are small copies of pictures that you downloaded when using your apps or browsing (that includes avatars, social media, wallpaper database, etc).

TGR2

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Used Disk Usage and found that the Android Download Manager cache was taking over 3G! However System Memory still showing 5.46G so no joy in fixing that yet....

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Just in case, if anyone is still facing this issue, here's a way that worked for a friend of mine on Samsung Galaxy Core 2. In particular, I think this problem occurs mainly in TouchWiz. Never saw anyone with this issue on Stock Android... Perhaps it is time to come to the bright side.

1. Remove SD card.
2. Reset to factory default
3. Check 'Storage' and you'll see the total file size displayed is now decreasing.

Hope this helps a burning soul. :D

Rrr87

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
JUST REBOOT!!!!!
After much reading and fumbling around with this the miscellaneous file problem using up all my tablets space, about 6.9Gb, I tried rebooting and BAM, IT WENT DOWN TO ---- UNDER 700 MB.

HOPE IT WORKS EVERYONE!

Golf4par

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
In my settings/storage/misc I have 8gb in a folder labeled .system. I'm afraid to delete it but it is the culprit tying up all my storage. How can I delete this amount of storage and not screw up my andriod??:(

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
In my settings/storage/misc I have 8gb in a folder labeled .system. I'm afraid to delete it but it is the culprit tying up all my storage. How can I delete this amount of storage and not screw up my andriod??:(

Why don't you try Rrr87's suggestion given above?

Posted via the Android Central App

Michelle Lynch

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: camera says need to free up storage space and delete

When I try to use my camera it says i need to delete storage becauseits full i have internal storagre but If don't know what's safe to delete without losing it for good.Please help me my phones new.I think my phones an Android Kyocera4 or 5...the newest model. Please help...
Thanks Michelle

Last edited:

Paulo Vida Nova

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I resolved my problem as follows: after installing CWM , erased what was backup and other files related to backup and bingo! My Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 again had only 126MB of Miscellaneous Files and 8,29GB of free space . I hope this helps !

wcli

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I had the same problem with 8 GB in misc folder. I cleared the data of some newspaper apps, it cleared up about 7gb, and brought the misc down to 1GB. The apps claims to use external SD but in fact is still using device memory's as misc folder.

Riotgrrl120

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I had this issue and deleted almost every app, picture, or video but nothing helped until I actually went to My Files -> Android -> Data and selected all from that Data folder and deleted. I have had no issues with any of my apps and that out of space error is not showing anymore.

Note: I was so frustrated that I didn't care about deleting everything in that folder, because my next step was to format my phone to its original setting and erase everything. But thankfully that delete all didn't break anything on my phone, but you can review those files if you want before deleting.

I literally just downloaded this app so that i could thank you. Your solution was very simple and beyond affective. I just got my misc files from 6gb down to 42mb. No issues, no losses. Thank you thank you thank you!!!! 😆

Posted via the Android Central App

ackthelag

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I think I figured it out with the disk usage app. According to disk usage, there is a storage calculation for apps. Under system settings this is calculated by the size of the apk files which are like .exe programs on windows. Each app has a certain amount of files that it needs to run. In windows, you have an .exe file and then you have a ton of other files which actually run the .exe like .dll and such. The misc file calculation seems to be those extra files to run the apk. The best example I can think of is like when you install a game like Brave Frontier. You install the apk file off of google play, however, when you first run Brave Frontier, it will download like 100 extra files before you can play the game. In storage, the apk is filed under app storage, but the 100 extra files are calculated as misc file storage. If you move apps to an external sd card, it will move the apk and run it off of the sd card. The extra/misc files stay on the internal memory of the phone. I have a Samsung Note 5 and it seems that when I install a new app, the system memory allotted to apps goes up as well as the misc file. When I uninstall the the same app, both app file memory and misc file memory go down by the same amount it went up when I installed it. I hope this makes sense.
Chris

Kingdom_Citizen

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
That doesn't sound right. I'm almost 100% sure that memory used for the OS isn't even displayed on the storage screen. It only shows you the breakdown from your available storage so makaroni is wrong on that one.Chances are that you have something that is caching a large file on your phone. "cloudagent" is considered a miscellaneous file so it could be anything from files/pics linked throu your dropbox which are unfortunately still cached on your phone or if you use Google Play Music, the large size might be from music that's pinned to your device. My advice would be to use a file explorer and look through your cloudagent files. I have found old files and whole folders that were erased from my drop box yet were still cached in cloudagent. Just delete the ones you no longer need stored on your phone but make sure you only delete folders that are no longer in you dropbox or else they'll just reappear once cloudagent syncs with dropbox again. Also I think some app data (depending on the app) is stored as miscellaneous. I think Snote notes and all the books in the library in my ereader app are also stored in Miscellaneous. Really your best bet is to get a file explorer and root around in the files. If you're not rooted then you won't have to worry about deleting OS files as you won't even have access to them. To be safe though only delete the files you put on the phone. Hope that helps.
Do you, or can you please recommend the best particular file explorer foor android rooted device please. Thanks that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Voss

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Some computation of tallied space seems off, like possibly by a factor of 1000. I have maybe 586 MB of misc. files, but not 5,86Gb.
NO solution here, just lamenting in the same boat. :/

2016-05-05 Gaxaxy S5

XyleneExodus

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I went into my Storage settings.
I noticed the miscellaneous files is taking up 6 gb.
l only had the phone for a week.
what is this and How Can I get My gb back?

Sent from my Verizon Note 2.SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums .

You could try downloading Clean Master Lite, I went from 400 mb to 2gb real quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2