12-09-2013 04:07 AM
844 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Yes. Even with those limitations their products are still great. Add great build quality, extensive apps, nice laptops and desktops, more reliable software and Apple TV to the mix too. These are all positives to Apple.

Most of my comments are stating why I think there will be change in people's opinions about Apple and how I think Apple is beginning to lose against Android. This is compared to what they had before. Does it mean they are going out of business any time soon? Hey no. But because they do have a stale Os. They do have a locked down system. They are more expensive. And they also treat their competitors and other innocent companies like crap, so many people view this as a negative and are choosing Android instead. If this type of discussion annoys you then opt out.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android actually caught up in the app game a while back just an FYI. More reliable software is debatable as both iOS and android both crash the difference is how those issues are handled. Its hard to write a malicious app for a system that requires a drawn out submission process I will say that but both have had their exploits and issues. People who say macs don't get viruses is a flat out lie just a heads up. Build quality is debatable as well my friends always end up breaking screens on the slightest drops and guess who replaces them. If Google TV could have taken off I promise you it would have been a great experience after some time and development too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    12-14-2012 12:00 PM
    Yes. Even with those limitations their products are still great. Add great build quality, extensive apps, nice laptops and desktops, more reliable software and Apple TV to the mix too. These are all positives to Apple.

Most of my comments are stating why I think there will be change in people's opinions about Apple and how I think Apple is beginning to lose against Android. This is compared to what they had before. Does it mean they are going out of business any time soon? Hey no. But because they do have a stale Os. They do have a locked down system. They are more expensive. And they also treat their competitors and other innocent companies like crap, so many people view this as a negative and are choosing Android instead. If this type of discussion annoys you then opt out.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Very good points. There are some benefits to users in Apple's behavior which I think is mostly fine.

But firing the guy that made iOS made me think about switching to Android which I have now done.

Scott Forstall was pushed out a few months ago in what appeared to be a lot of politicking at Apple.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums
    12-14-2012 12:02 PM
    Plus Qualcomm says Apple refuses to pay royalties when they use stuff that other companies have patents on but if someone did that to them they'd go nuts.
    I'm amazed they haven't been fined or something. They abuse the patent system and don't even follow its own rules.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
    12-14-2012 12:05 PM
    Plus Qualcomm says Apple refuses to pay royalties when they use stuff that other companies have patents on but if someone did that to them they'd go nuts.
    I'm amazed they haven't been fined or something. They abuse the patent system and don't even follow its own rules.

Do you have more details?

12-14-2012 12:07 PM
    Do you have more details?

http://androidheadlines.com/2012/12/...itigation.html

12-14-2012 12:10 PM
    Here is the big 2 paragraphs

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RdWaHdy8Ws...%2BITC-794.png

12-14-2012 12:14 PM
    The message is the same, they blatantly abuse the patent system, and refuse to pay royalties for tech they use that is patented by other companies. They act like the rules don't apply to them.

12-14-2012 12:23 PM
    Here is the big 2 paragraphs

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RdWaHdy8Ws...%2BITC-794.png

Qualcomm withdrew that letter.

12-14-2012 12:25 PM
    The message is the same, they blatantly abuse the patent system, and refuse to pay royalties for tech they use that is patented by other companies. They act like the rules don't apply to them.

I will say its an accusation more than anything to the ITC partly over the Motorola vs apple case.

12-14-2012 12:33 PM
    Very good points. There are some benefits to users in Apple's behavior which I think is mostly fine.

But firing the guy that made iOS made me think about switching to Android which I have now done.
    Scott Forstall was pushed out a few months ago in what appeared to be a lot of politicking at Apple.
    I actually think this was not a bad idea. I think there needed to be some shake up at Apple in order to get a new outlook on where they will be going as they move ahead. His replacement Jonathan Ive is a very smart guy who is loved dearly by Apple fans. I think if anyone can give some fresh blood to iOS it's him.
    12-14-2012 12:50 PM
    Qualcomm withdrew that letter.
    That may be true, but what was said was said because they meant it. Saying oops after slapping someone in the face doesn't change the fact that Apple got slapped.
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.
    12-14-2012 12:51 PM
    I actually think this was not a bad idea. I think there needed to be some shake up at Apple in order to get a new outlook on where they will be going as they move ahead. His replacement Jonathan Ive is a very smart guy who is loved dearly by Apple fans. I think if anyone can give some fresh blood to iOS it's him.
    Watch how quickly that statement changes. Apple fans will start to hate him because he has to change something, thus distancing himself from the purists. It won't be seen in the 5s, but watch out on the 6

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    12-14-2012 12:54 PM
    Android actually caught up in the app game a while back just an FYI. More reliable software is debatable as both iOS and android both crash the difference is how those issues are handled. Its hard to write a malicious app for a system that requires a drawn out submission process I will say that but both have had their exploits and issues. People who say macs don't get viruses is a flat out lie just a heads up. Build quality is debatable as well my friends always end up breaking screens on the slightest drops and guess who replaces them. If Google TV could have taken off I promise you it would have been a great experience after some time and development too.
    I'm very aware of where they are in the app game. I should have been more clear in what I meant. Apple has a very polished developer platform for their apps which tends to make "most" of their apps a bit more finished and uniform. Like you said, they have a lengthy process which I think helps to ensure there is some consistency. I was just pointing out that because Apple has done a good job on their apps and app store that this is a plus for Apple. This doesn't mean in any way that Android doesn't have great alternatives and in many cases better options, but I think they will still be playing catch up for around another year.

I was generalizing in some ways regarding build quality. But overall I think we agree that Apple tries very hard to make well built products. Maybe even harder than everyone else.

I am hoping that Google or Samsung or anyone would get with it and develop a new and improved media share device. The Nexus Q appears to be that device, but there needs to be better stock software that can integrate better. I have a Samsung Smart TV and it shares "okay" with my SGS2, but still doesn't measure up to the way Apple TV works with their devices. IMO.
    12-14-2012 01:00 PM
    It was even reported here that they only had a few hundred thousand. If they sold millions, don't you think they would have it all over the media. What better way to boost sales than advertise you sold millions on launch day? Only select T-mobile stores carry them. My guess would be 300,000 tops.
    Google doesn't broadcast sales like Apple and Samsung. The Nexus 7 tablet has been selling around 1 million devices per month according to Asus. I would assume LG will leak a bit of the sales at some point. But considering that this was a global release there will certainly be sales in the Millions.
    12-14-2012 01:07 PM
    Again - 3.5" was fine with many. The 4" didn't get any wider so typing will be the same. If they could type on a 3.5" iPhone, they could easily type on a 4" iPhone.

I'm going by the profit numbers, not the marketshare numbers. If Apple is making money, hand over fist, yet has less marketshare, well then marketshare doesn't really matter (or doesn't matter that much). In terms of profit, it's 70/20/10 (Apple/Samsung/Everyone Else), that's being generous. It was probably 75/15/10.

Switching comes down to ecosystem investment too. Former iOS users who spent a lot on apps might think twice about switching. Hardware ecosystem is less important this time around since the iPhone 5 gets a new shape and new dock connector. I'm not doubting that there is competition right now, but I believe Apple will be just fine with their position this year and next. Again, people here seem to be exaggerating Apple's demise. I think we're still a few years off from that.

I'm sorry but I really don't see the iPhone as a status symbol anymore. It's a relatively obtainable product now.

Unless you're getting the Galaxy S III from an indirect with different pricing, or on sale, it really isn't "cheaper" than getting an iPhone. Regular, on-contract, pricing is pretty much the same. If people keep thinking that the iPhone is expensive, people will keep thinking that Android is "cheap".
    I will let the real news speak for itself.
    IPhone 5 hits China as Apple shares slide further | Reuters
    12-14-2012 01:10 PM
    I'm very aware of where they are in the app game. I should have been more clear in what I meant. Apple has a very polished developer platform for their apps which tends to make "most" of their apps a bit more finished and uniform. Like you said, they have a lengthy process which I think helps to ensure there is some consistency. I was just pointing out that because Apple has done a good job on their apps and app store that this is a plus for Apple. This doesn't mean in any way that Android doesn't have great alternatives and in many cases better options, but I think they will still be playing catch up for around another year.

I was generalizing in some ways regarding build quality. But overall I think we agree that Apple tries very hard to make well built products. Maybe even harder than everyone else.

I am hoping that Google or Samsung or anyone would get with it and develop a new and improved media share device. The Nexus Q appears to be that device, but there needs to be better stock software that can integrate better. I have a Samsung Smart TV and it shares "okay" with my SGS2, but still doesn't measure up to the way Apple TV works with their devices. IMO.
    Fair enough good sir. All I want to see is Google TV flourish and for the goog to make an integrated app to use for multiple purposes such as sharing pics and vids, a remote, possibly an extension for media like say watching videos from Google play and seeing fun facts or bonus features on phone, just neat little things.

12-14-2012 01:10 PM
    That may be true, but what was said was said because they meant it. Saying oops after slapping someone in the face doesn't change the fact that Apple got slapped.
    Fair enough but I certainly want to see more details from Qualcomm about what exactly they don't like.

12-14-2012 01:12 PM
    Fair enough but I certainly want to see more details from Qualcomm about what exactly they don't like.

They were complaining about apple not wanting to pay fair licensing for moto's frand patents

12-14-2012 01:14 PM
    Of course, Apples premise of a willing licensee with a good-faith disagreement who wants nothing other than for a disinterested party to determine what terms are FRAND is itself a sham and a pretext. At the recent proceedings before Judge Crabb in the Western District of Wisconsin, Apples willing licensee mask fell off, when it absolutely refusedeven at the cost of having its case dismissedto commit to take a license to Motorolas SEP portfolio on whatever terms the court might determine to be FRAND. Having literally walked away, minutes before trial, from an opportunity for an adjudication as to whether Motorola had offered FRAND terms to Apple, Apple should be embarrassedbut apparently is notto demand that the Commission divest itself of jurisdiction unless and until a U.S. Court has determined [the relevant license terms] to be FRAND.
    If Apple is not a willing licensee, and in any event there is no risk of an exclusion order 8or injunction) shutting down a truly willing licensee, what is the real agenda? It is to shelter theunwilling licenseethe infringer that, like Apple, has no interest at all in paying market-validated royalty rates. It is to ensure that SEP infringers can only be called to account under rules, and in fora, in which they may gain yardage, but can never lose. [...]

Read more at Qualcomm: Apple ‘Should Be Embarrassed’ By Its Patent Approach | Cult of Android
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.
    12-14-2012 01:43 PM
    Fair enough good sir. All I want to see is Google TV flourish and for the goog to make an integrated app to use for multiple purposes such as sharing pics and vids, a remote, possibly an extension for media like say watching videos from Google play and seeing fun facts or bonus features on phone, just neat little things.
    Me too! This is a huge opportunity for Google to fill a much needed hole.
    12-14-2012 01:45 PM
    Me too! This is a huge opportunity for Google to fill a much needed hole.
    I think with android being much more refined now I think they have a good chance to give it another whirl. If they do it right and get the TVs out at different varied price points it could really take off.

badbrad17 likes this.
    12-14-2012 01:51 PM
    I have to respond to this topic by saying that I am an Apple nut. I have a MacBook Pro, iPad mini, and iPhone 5. All my 3rd or 4th iteration (I sell and upgrade every year). I tried the S3 in July and hated it. Now after owning the 5 I feel I didn't give Android a fair shot as Apple's OS is great for computers and tablets but getting stale for phones. My opinion only and it's a weird one. I'm now back to these forums researching the Note 2. The mini and my Mac will always have a place in my heart but I can definitely see where Apple is getting stale for some. Android always had draw for me since Froyo and I think Jelly Bean is an amazing OS I can't wait to get my tinkering hands on. Finally! Android isn't a battery hog, which is always what kept me away. A friend of mine who is a bigger Apple nut than me got a Note 2 and isn't returning it! He loves the thing. Bottom line: you can be loyal to Apple and still enjoy competing products.

That said, with everything going on in my home state of Connecticut right now I think there are worse problems in the world than what phone and what manufacturer are the best.
    12-14-2012 04:13 PM
    I have to respond to this topic by saying that I am an Apple nut. I have a MacBook Pro, iPad mini, and iPhone 5. All my 3rd or 4th iteration (I sell and upgrade every year). I tried the S3 in July and hated it. Now after owning the 5 I feel I didn't give Android a fair shot as Apple's OS is great for computers and tablets but getting stale for phones. My opinion only and it's a weird one. I'm now back to these forums researching the Note 2. The mini and my Mac will always have a place in my heart but I can definitely see where Apple is getting stale for some. Android always had draw for me since Froyo and I think Jelly Bean is an amazing OS I can't wait to get my tinkering hands on. Finally! Android isn't a battery hog, which is always what kept me away. A friend of mine who is a bigger Apple nut than me got a Note 2 and isn't returning it! He loves the thing. Bottom line: you can be loyal to Apple and still enjoy competing products.

That said, with everything going on in my home state of Connecticut right now I think there are worse problems in the world than what phone and what manufacturer are the best.
    Really sorry to hear all this news today. There is no winning in this terrible tragedy.

I like your open mind with devices. There are plenty of people on this forum that are. I have both Mac's and PC's in my office and it has been great to see how they are able to talk to each other over the years. It sounds like you are looking to Android another try. My suggestion would be to look at the new Nexus 4 rather than the Note 2. I only say this as you have tried the S3 and didn't like it. The Note 2 is different, but is still a Samsung product with similar features to the S3. The Nexus is pure Google and will get all the timely updates that you are used to getting from iOS. You will be able to get the maximum power out of the hardware without any added bloatware. The screen is also an IPS LCD which is the same tech as the iPhone.

This is of course just my feedback based on your comments. The Note 2 is an amazing phone but I would take a look at the Nexus. You can only buy it outright as it is not being carried by many carriers (T-Mobile), but at $349 it's a bargain of bargains.
    12-14-2012 04:53 PM
    Thanks. I can't take my eyes off the local news. Totally devastating. Hard to believe someone would be this sick.

I actually was looking into the Nexus as well. It's pretty cheap for an out of contract phone. I like that the Note offers removable storage and a bigger screen though. You've definitely given me food for thought though.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    12-14-2012 05:10 PM
    Thanks. I can't take my eyes off the local news. Totally devastating. Hard to believe someone would be this sick.
    I actually was looking into the Nexus as well. It's pretty cheap for an out of contract phone. I like that the Note offers removable storage and a bigger screen though. You've definitely given me food for thought though.
    Ya the removable battery & SD card are definite pluses. The screen is massive on the Note 2. Maybe a bit big for my tastes in a phone, but still pretty incredible. The S pen also has some great applications. Maybe you will find someone who has a Nexus 4 so you can try it out before making a decision. That always helps.
    12-14-2012 05:31 PM
844 ... 89101112 ...