When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Samsung users are beginning to be just as creepy! IMHO

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Hey now hey now let's play nice we know both Sammy and HTC have their overly obsessed fanboys lol. I'm still waiting for Sony to make a decent phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I agree. I own a Palm Pixi Plus, iPhone 4 and SGS3 and I often find myself cringing at some of the anti Apple stupidity being spewed forth from Sammy users. Often while acting like they are so much better than the behavior they are complaining about. Ironic.

I didn't get the memo that I had to pick sides..

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I agree a lot of the time. There's that group in every category. I do think the Samsung people are loudest because everyone has been itching to shove it back in Apple disciples throats.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have issues with phones. I have issues with people who are smug about their phones. I try to not to be too big of a fanboi for Samsung, but it is hard.

There is no reason to hate on someones choice, it works for them and that is OK. Pick on the phone on its merits or lack of them

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have issues with phones. I have issues with people who are smug about their phones. I try to not to be too big of a fanboi for Samsung, but it is hard.

There is no reason to hate on someones choice, it works for them and that is OK. Pick on the phone on its merits or lack of them

Im a fanboy :thumbup::D

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You don't get it. It's Apple, by not adhering to recognized standards, that has forced everyone (Google included) to have to write a special app so people can transfer files. Google will update the program so it works well with Mountain Lion, then Apple will break it again when they update OS X.

Apple refuses to support the MTP standard. This is nothing new. Android moved to MTP when it became an industry standard.

So we have gone from Apple not adhering to recognized standards and in fact breaking the standard, to just Apple not having implemented a standard yet.. I understand you have an ax to grind, but blaming Apple for this is silly.

The mass storage standard is universally used and available on every device and platform that I know of. Everyone supports it. For some reason, Google dropped support for this universally recognized standard in Android 3.0. Why are you blaming Apple for this? No on else who has implemented MTP has dropped support for Mass storage. Why is Apple being blamed for Google doing this? Apple actually does plenty of annoying things already. Lets blame them for those things, rather then someone else's failings or bad decisions. Would we be having this conversation if Google had just left in support for mass storage.

Your Galaxy Note is also updated, and will need Samsung's file transfer utility.

Now this is great news. I haven't heard that Samsung had a file transfer utility. A quick search on google didn't turn on up. I know about Kies, but that doesn't work either. Can you post a link for Samsung's utility?

The 1.5 million Android devices sold per day and 500+ million current users says that quite a few people don't mind.

Don't get me wrong. I'm one of the people who feels the tradeoffs are worth it. But that doesn't blind me to the fact that there are tradeoffs for both platforms.

Plus, to be fair, most of those 500+ million people are using devices that still have mass storage mode. :)

Interestingly enough, 95% of those people will also be using Windows and have no need for any program to copy pictures or music to their phone. They will just plug it in, and it will appear -- ready to use.

Just to be clear, the point I was making first, is that iTunes is great for originating music and videos, creating playlists and getting an ordered collection of content on the device. There is nothing equivalent that I have found for the Android platform. Once that drive appears for that 95%, they will have a fair amount of work to get and organize their music videos and playlists on their phones.

I would suggest you install Windows, then you'll have no issues copying files.

I tried doing it via parallels, but it was an iffy process at best. I finally gave up and went back to AirDroid.

dark_samus

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
In my (and tons of Android Linux Windows and Apple users) opinion Apple has been going downhill for awhile now they used to be the latest and greatest but now they're falling behind they're just copying other things people do and giving it a new layout or protocol that makes it incompatible with other devices that aren't running their special software unlike Windows which updates constantly and is adding new features in between releases to support new hardware and software without some third party app or some kind of mod just look at how fast they started supporting MTP after it became an INDUSTRY STANDARD which Apple still doesn't support they don't support a common industry standard that makes them anything but innovative that makes them slow as a matter of fact that's why I don't like Apple not to mention the closed source of the OS which makes them lose a ton of supporters

Sent from my Nexus 7 with CM10 using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
In my (and tons of Android Linux Windows and Apple users) opinion Apple has been going downhill for awhile now they used to be the latest and greatest but now they're falling behind they're just copying other things people do and giving it a new layout or protocol that makes it incompatible with other devices that aren't running their special software unlike Windows which updates constantly and is adding new features in between releases to support new hardware and software without some third party app or some kind of mod just look at how fast they started supporting MTP after it became an INDUSTRY STANDARD which Apple still doesn't support they don't support a common industry standard that makes them anything but innovative that makes them slow as a matter of fact that's why I don't like Apple not to mention the closed source of the OS which makes them lose a ton of supporters

Sent from my Nexus 7 with CM10 using Android Central Forums

Windows is also closed source it has the largest PC user base so that argument is null.

Yes I'm a Linux user I stick primarily to Debian based systems I'm loving mint at the moment.

Apple has been a true underdog story that's why its intriguing. If anyone remembers apple pre iPod lol then you would understand that's its success and the rate at which it became so successful is what makes it so. That's why the media watches it and scrutinizes so much wall street watches it like a hawk. They build nice devices for Joe everybody, but when I first tried iTunes on an iPod mini or something I got rid of that crap bloatware program asap. I personally refuse to support apple or buy any of their products as they don't fit MY needs that is all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

wyndslash

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I still use itunes because it does a good job in terms of metadata. I would love some suggestions of other programs that would do it just as well. Itunes slows my netbook down so I won't miss it

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
And yet, Google has come out with an app (AndroidFileTransfer) specifically designed for people who can't "just plug in their Android phone and copy to and from with no issue".

And even then, searching for "problems syncing my phone with android file transfer" comes up with 3 and a half million hits on google.

Airdroid wasn't released because people preferred to sync over Wifi, Airdroid was released because people couldn't find another way to get it to work.

You'll probably find the same results if you search for how to copy files to a usb stick. The reality of it is that BlackBerry and Android and I assume Windows Phone all do the simple drag and drop file transfer system. It's only Apple computers that don't play nice in the simple transfer game.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Where I think its harder it in three specific areas.

1) Setting up the phone for the first time (If you arn't exclusively using gmail for mail/calendar/tasks)
2) Transferring and organizing content on the device
3) Moving from one device to the next.

I live in fear of the day I have to upgrade my phone.

Really? Wow. This could not be farther from the truth. Unless you are using an Apple computer.

1. I use Outlook for my work and it syncs perfect for email, calendar, tasks etc. I use a program called Companion link. It works awesome.

2. Transferring files is the easiest part. Plug in your phone drag over your files. Simple and way faster.

3. Google backs up everything to your account. Enter your email and you are back in business. I bought a new phone and had it all setup in less than 30 minutes. If I had it rooted it would have only taken 15min.

4. For updates you can get everything over the air if you buy a Nexus phone. Samsung needs work on Kies, but my HTC phone was super easy.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Where I have a hard time is my friends come to me and ask for my advice. I layout all the pros and cons of each device. I explain the benefits of things like Apple TV but the limitations of file support, hdmi blah blah. Then 5 days later they come over with their ipad complaining that they can't get their home movies to play on it.

It's like I tell them specifically how Android will be the most flexible but they still buy Apple.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's an interesting article pertaining to the imminent fall of apple. It's all speculation at this point but it does show there is something in the air.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontev...st-time-in-9-years-in-q4-financials-to-shine/

I personally hope they can stay in good shape but the bad press is beginning to make a difference in many peoples minds.

Plus the pricing and discussion of what the Nexus products are is something that will not go away and will only gain more traction.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Right now the Android world needs Apple.

Why? Because they still have the power to push the carriers around. They still have the power to make some things standard. I was PISSED that they did not put NFC in the i5. It was a half baked regurgitation anyway at least they could have done that.

In addition, as long as they stay upfront they also bring up the stupidity of the US Patent office. I hate these battles but with each one it brings it to the forefront. Maybe this will bring a bit of change about.

I want them to do with the iPhone like they did with the Computer. Put out some cool stuff, have it put a shot into the arm of the industry then quietly go back to obscurity until the next time. Yes I know they are not obscure but you get the point...

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Where I have a hard time is my friends come to me and ask for my advice. I layout all the pros and cons of each device. I explain the benefits of things like Apple TV but the limitations of file support, hdmi blah blah. Then 5 days later they come over with their ipad complaining that they can't get their home movies to play on it.

It's like I tell them specifically how Android will be the most flexible but they still buy Apple.

that is about when I do get to gloat. I do not even get into the battle with friends. I just show them and if they choose the apple path, that is on them. I provide limited tech support

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
that is about when I do get to gloat. I do not even get into the battle with friends. I just show them and if they choose the apple path, that is on them. I provide limited tech support

I did that to one of my friends just the other day. I told him to buy the Nexus 7 and he came over with a ipad mini. I told him I couldn't help him. 2 hours later he came over with the N7.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am just naturally curious so I like to keep up with the other guys. I do what I can to help but do I put a ton of effort into it? No not really.

I will take the time to fix the broken glass though. 1 so that they can use the thing and 2 because I get to talk to them about how fragile it is blah, blah, blah. I expect to be able to fix one or two N4s

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Really? Wow. This could not be farther from the truth. Unless you are using an Apple computer.

1. I use Outlook for my work and it syncs perfect for email, calendar, tasks etc. I use a program called Companion link. It works awesome.

Well, it works so perfectly that you purchased a $50 program to get it to work for you, so I am nopt sure what point you are making. Awesome usually means you don't need to purchase some $50 program to make it work.

In any case, my point was that I had to enter my account information into mutliple different program multiple times to get everything to work. I needed to use TaskSync to get my exchange Todos because the default calendar will not hide completed todos from a year ago, I needed to enter my gmail and exchange account information into K9 email because Android will no longer share email databases with Pure Calender Widget, and so on and so on. None of these things are a huge deal, but they tend to make the process more complicated. I find the tradeoffs worth it, but I am not comfortable sharing them with everyone else.

2. Transferring files is the easiest part. Plug in your phone drag over your files. Simple and way faster.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is that "drag and drop" isn't simpler. "drag and drop" is more powerful and while many people want/need that power, for a great number of people, the simpler method is good enough and much simpler.

On my iPhone, I used to sync about a dozen albums and a single playlist with 300 assorted songs in it from different artists sorted by how recently I had put the song into the playlist. Getting this information onto the phone was a matter of clicking on 13 boxes (once for each album and once for the playlist) and clicking the sync button. Getting the music onto my Note2 was a lot more complicated, and I still haven't found a way to retain my old playlist order.

3. Google backs up everything to your account. Enter your email and you are back in business. I bought a new phone and had it all setup in less than 30 minutes.

Itunes backs up your whole phone. Its literally just a matter of plugging in your new phone and hitting one button.

When I moved from one Galaxy Note to a second, I made sure I had "app sync" on and had done a sync. Then I

1) Entered my google and exchange login information
2) Manually installed all 40 or so apps I am using
3) Manually set up each app because not a single third party app restored its information. The only thing that saved me time was that many apps (ie Nova Launcher) allow you to manually backup your setup, so I was able to restore a few apps that way. I assume they offer this functionality because the google app backup doesn't work that well.

Its all doable, but it is more complicated for the average user.

If I had it rooted it would have only taken 15min.

People, I am not saying that Android can't do anything that the iPhone can. I'm saying that for some things, it is much complicated. Rooting to get things done in 15 minutes instead of 30 is what I call more complicated. The non-rooted restore method on Android is harder then the stock restore on iPhone. It just is.

4. For updates you can get everything over the air if you buy a Nexus phone. Samsung needs work on Kies, but my HTC phone was super easy.

I haven't used a Nexus phone, but I am not sure why a third party app would restore better on Nexus and not on Samsung. If so, thats a criticism of Samsung, not of Apple.

I tried Kies, but it seems to be broken in the current iteration.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, it works so perfectly that you purchased a $50 program to get it to work for you, so I am nopt sure what point you are making. Awesome usually means you don't need to purchase some $50 program to make it work.

In any case, my point was that I had to enter my account information into mutliple different program multiple times to get everything to work. I needed to use TaskSync to get my exchange Todos because the default calendar will not hide completed todos from a year ago, I needed to enter my gmail and exchange account information into K9 email because Android will no longer share email databases with Pure Calender Widget, and so on and so on. None of these things are a huge deal, but they tend to make the process more complicated. I find the tradeoffs worth it, but I am not comfortable sharing them with everyone else.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is that "drag and drop" isn't simpler. "drag and drop" is more powerful and while many people want/need that power, for a great number of people, the simpler method is good enough and much simpler.

On my iPhone, I used to sync about a dozen albums and a single playlist with 300 assorted songs in it from different artists sorted by how recently I had put the song into the playlist. Getting this information onto the phone was a matter of clicking on 13 boxes (once for each album and once for the playlist) and clicking the sync button. Getting the music onto my Note2 was a lot more complicated, and I still haven't found a way to retain my old playlist order.

Itunes backs up your whole phone. Its literally just a matter of plugging in your new phone and hitting one button.

When I moved from one Galaxy Note to a second, I made sure I had "app sync" on and had done a sync. Then I

1) Entered my google and exchange login information
2) Manually installed all 40 or so apps I am using
3) Manually set up each app because not a single third party app restored its information. The only thing that saved me time was that many apps (ie Nova Launcher) allow you to manually backup your setup, so I was able to restore a few apps that way. I assume they offer this functionality because the google app backup doesn't work that well.

Its all doable, but it is more complicated for the average user.

People, I am not saying that Android can't do anything that the iPhone can. I'm saying that for some things, it is much complicated. Rooting to get things done in 15 minutes instead of 30 is what I call more complicated. The non-rooted restore method on Android is harder then the stock restore on iPhone. It just is.

I haven't used a Nexus phone, but I am not sure why a third party app would restore better on Nexus and not on Samsung. If so, thats a criticism of Samsung, not of Apple.

I tried Kies, but it seems to be broken in the current iteration.

The $50 is used to allow me to allow 'Outlook', a 3rd party application to work with my device. I could use Google sync for free but this program also allows me to sync my contacts. I don't use Exchange so it's different. And for me a $40 program is well worth it.

What you think is easier I find to be a hassle. You want your G Note 2 to be an iphone but it's not. iTunes is a great player but for syncing I hate it. I have had tons of problems getting files onto my kids ipods and friends ipads. It doesn't always work. Authorization on a specific number of computers etc.? What a joke. Not to mention the default deletion of all your files when you plug your phone into someone else's computer. I just heard this one again last week from one of my staff. I can plug my phone into any computer and share my music or files. Just like a usb drive.
I don't use my play lists like you so this is a preference for you and not for me. I have my play lists in the cloud and I sync iTunes wirelessly to Google Music. No syncing needed. In fact I don't ever plug my phone into my computer. Unless I wanted to put a movie onto it which I don't.

It's a preference of familiarity really. It's no different than using a Windows or Mac computer. The one you learned on or use the most is what you are the most productive with.

The backup feature is a good feature on Apple which I honestly believe will be added soon to android. But even the default backup is good enough for most people. I have my stuff backing up to my Google account so when I did a restore all my programs automatically installed. I didn't have to do them one at a time. And this was all over the air. No plugging in or extra program like iTunes needed.

So we will maybe agree to disagree.
Each platform has different ways to handle things.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01