When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Sony Xperia S rooted on 4.0.4. Nuff said. Once manufacturers go to 4.2 and hardcore debloat their stuff then regular not just power users will see the strength and beauty of Android.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Sony Xperia S rooted on 4.0.4. Nuff said. Once manufacturers go to 4.2 and hardcore debloat their stuff then regular not just power users will see the strength and beauty of Android.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

Too bad most regular people won't care about any of that unless there is feature that interests them.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Dude, why don't you go back to Apple, seriously? You've posted and posted in this thread how simple iOS and iTunes is. You've complained about fragmentation and have espoused Apple's consistent OS architecture ad nauseum. Seems pretty clear to me Apple is for you.

Dude, you should probably read my posts before you bother to respond to them. I have said more then once in this thread that I prefer Android to iOS for myself. I have posted numerous times that I am happier with my Note then I was with my iPhone even though some things are more difficult to do. And I haven't complained about fragmentation, I have just pointed out this it exists, and therefore some of the benefits of having multiple vendors making Android phones are balanced by the added complexity that is a side-effect of that fragmentation. Someone stated that iOS was only popular because of hype, and I said that for a lot of people, the increased simplicity of doing some things on Apple is a big selling point.

Either go back to Apple or spend some more time researching Android.

I don't know how to respond to this except to say that your contributions to the thread would be greater if you read the whole thread before responding to it. I can't have been more clear that I have spent a lot of time playing with my new phone, that I love my new phone, and that I wouldn't under any circumstances consider going back to an iPhone. That fact that some things are harder to do doesn't take away from the fact that overall, I like it much better. Had you taken the time to read the thread before you posted this, you would certainly have gotten that message.

In any case, thanks for making my other point for me. There are over-the-top Android supporters just like there are over-the-top Apple supporters. Just as some Apple fans will overreact to any criticism, some Android fans will as well.

Last edited:

jlindsey.stu

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Dude, you should probably read my posts before you bother to respond to them. I have said more then once in this thread that I prefer Android to iOS for myself. I have posted numerous times that I am happier with my Note then I was with my iPhone even though some things are more difficult to do. And I haven't complained about fragmentation, I have just pointed out this it exists, and therefore some of the benefits of having multiple vendors making Android phones are balanced by the added complexity that is a side-effect of that fragmentation. Someone stated that iOS was only popular because of hype, and I said that for a lot of people, the increased simplicity of doing some things on Apple is a big selling point.

I don't know how to respond to this except to say that your contributions to the thread would be greater if you read the whole thread before responding to it. I can't have been more clear that I have spent a lot of time playing with my new phone, that I love my new phone, and that I wouldn't under any circumstances consider going back to an iPhone. That fact that some things are harder to do doesn't take away from the fact that overall, I like it much better. Had you taken the time to read the thread before you posted this, you would certainly have gotten that message.

In any case, thanks for making my other point for me. There are crazy Android supports just like there are crazy Apple supporters.

I want to jump in and second your thoughts. Apple is largely driven by hype, but in all fairness the original iPhone was a game changer so people recognize the name and brand more so than android. Also, Apple created a product that is just easier to use. Anyone that cares enough to spend time on a forum like this knows how to make their phone work in ways that 99% of the people don't care about. Straight out of the box the iPhone is just easier in my opinion. I bought my parents iPhone 4's last year without hesitation but I like the customization and tinkering android provides.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

In any case, thanks for making my other point for me. There are crazy Android supports just like there are crazy Apple supporters.

I did read the entire thread hence my comments that you've espoused nothing but love for iOS and iTunes throughout. I did read a few of your comments where you purport to like this device; however, you've gone to great lengths in this thread to argue in the positive for iTunes and iOS. When somebody spends more time and words on arguing in the positive for one platform versus another its not difficult to deduce where they lean hence my observation that you're better off staying with Apple.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jlindsey.stu

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I did read the entire thread hence my comments that you've espoused nothing but love for iOS and iTunes throughout. I did read a few of your comments where you purport to like this device; however, you've gone to great lengths in this thread to argue in the positive for iTunes and iOS. When somebody spends more time and words on arguing in the positive for one platform versus another its not difficult to deduce where they lean hence my observation that you're better off staying with Apple.

I also believe that iOS and iTunes is by far superior to android but the hardware of Samsung, HTC, and LG is where I think the android platform is really close or ahead. I don't see how saying iOS and iTunes is the best software option but Samsung has the best hardware option is so wrong and contradictory?

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Well, I can certainly see how you would take my opening comments to this thread as a general criticism of Android.

I recently switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy Note 2, and I would not consider going back. I love both the Android customizability and the large screen. For me, its a far better solution. I love it so much, I haven't touched my iPad in three weeks.

Those are indeed fighting words.

I have been arguing about the simplicity of iOS and iTunes, because this thread is about (among other things) whether or not their are any advantages to the Apple platform. The reason I have been talking about the pluses about iOS in this thread, is because that is what this thread is about. I haven't talked about iOS in any other threads on this forum, because that would make no sense, and in general, I have moved away from iOS and am not so interested anymore.

Try to understand that its possible to like a platform and still not think its perfect for everyone. I believe that for many people the simplicity of iOS is a big selling point. That opinion is not intended as an attack on you or your platform.

Try to keep in mind that its a phone, not a religion.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I also believe that iOS and iTunes is by far superior to android but the hardware of Samsung, HTC, and LG is where I think the android platform is really close or ahead. I don't see how saying iOS and iTunes is the best software option but Samsung has the best hardware option is so wrong and contradictory?

Did you read both my posts? First, Double Twist is a free App for both Android and for the PC. You can create play lists, sync music, video, and pictures. Easy. Or, has been mentioned several times in this thread, you can simply plug your Android into a PC and drag and drop. Easy. Secondly, the email client which comes with this phone can be easily used to manage both your exchange email, Gmail, and other POP3 email accounts. Thirdly, Android uses Market Restore for future restoration of apps with your device. These are just a few things Android does. There are other tools, tips, tricks, methods, and apps. Former iOS enthusiasts, in my opinion, are to used to point and click. Yes, Android is different but there are ways to accomplish what you did with iOS and more by learning the Android ecosystem. I get frustrated when former iOS enthusiasts complain when it's obvious they know very little about Android and the current Android phone they own. My frustration is further compounded by reading these iOS enthusiasts complaints over and over again. If iTunes is that wonderful and iOS was that useful and easy to use, why leave? Doesn't make sense to me.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Too bad most regular people won't care about any of that unless there is feature that interests them.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Something tells me that due to the fact that Android is dominating the Smartphone world now that there are some features people find interesting :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Ok let me step in here. The software is everything on these phones. If you compare hardware of the iphone to the hardware of any android device its pretty pointless. IOS was built around the hardware it was designed to utilize the hardware in the most efficient way possible giving the "end user" the nicest possible experience. Android on the otherhand it seems we are building hardware around the software using stronger faster and better hardware to make the os seem smoother instead of optimizing it like I feel vendors should. I love android but I do see its shortcomings being a still fairly infantile OS.

As for the fragmentation argument I dont look at all of these vendors as a whole because they aren't. At their core yes its still android but because of its open source nature it can become anything. These vendors create their own version adding and removing functions that may or may not have been part of the primary OS. People need to look at touchwiz, blur, sense, and every other derivative as its own seperate entity because overall it really is. When people see these things they see the android software version and think ok so this is how every phone on this version will act which is grossly incorrect. Open source really is just take it and change it how you see fit these oem's have done just that they are their own os its just using android as its base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I also believe that iOS and iTunes is by far superior to android

This is farther then I wold go. I would say that for some people one is better and for some people the other is. Neither is so perfect so as to be the best platform for everyone.

jlindsey.stu

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you read both my posts? First, Double Twist is a free App for both Android and for the PC. You can create play lists, sync music, video, and pictures. Easy. Or, has been mentioned several times in this thread, you can simply plug your Android into a PC and drag and drop. Easy. Secondly, the email client which comes with this phone can be easily used to manage both your exchange email, Gmail, and other POP3 email accounts. Thirdly, Android uses Market Restore for future restoration of apps with your device. These are just a few things Android does. There are other tools, tips, tricks, methods, and apps. Former iOS enthusiasts, in my opinion, are to used to point and click. Yes, Android is different but there are ways to accomplish what you did with iOS and more by learning the Android ecosystem. I get frustrated when former iOS enthusiasts complain when it's obvious they know very little about Android and the current Android phone they own. My frustration is further compounded by reading these iOS enthusiasts complaints over and over again. If iTunes is that wonderful and iOS was that useful and easy to use, why leave? Doesn't make sense to me.

Doubletwist is a great app. I have it and paid $10 fort air sync and the podcast portion. My argument was that out of the box your iPhone can sync via iCloud to your computer to back up your phone without third party apps involved. That is my point to one thing Apple does better. I own an iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 and I know A LOT about android so to say I don't know what I'm talking about is ridiculous. I like both operating systems so I own both. When I'm in the mood to tinker and play I use android and when I want easy and reliable I choose iOS. But I won't sit and let someone say that third party apps and work arounds are in the same atmosphere as iTunes and iCloud and such.

jlindsey.stu

May 4, 2012
Visit site
This is farther then I wold go. I would say that for some people one is better and for some people the other is. Neither is so perfect so as to be the best platform for everyone.

I should have been more specific. I mean in ease of use, not overall functionality. That's my fault for not being specific. My whole argument was how much easier it is for anyone to use iOS.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

This I can agree with you on to point.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Doubletwist is a great app. I have it and paid $10 fort air sync and the podcast portion. My argument was that out of the box your iPhone can sync via iCloud to your computer to back up your phone without third party apps involved. That is my point to one thing Apple does better. I own an iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 and I know A LOT about android so to say I don't know what I'm talking about is ridiculous. I like both operating systems so I own both. When I'm in the mood to tinker and play I use android and when I want easy and reliable I choose iOS. But I won't sit and let someone say that third party apps and work arounds are in the same atmosphere as iTunes and iCloud and such.

I will agree with most of what you are saying but I will interject on calling a third party app a workaround as I feel the entire point of third party is to add functionality thats not inherent on a given device. As far as music sync goes google play music can take a ridiculous number of your songs and sync them to their servers so on any device you own you can have access. Also there is a feature to make said music available offline.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are incorrect. This is the screen I get when I try to get at my Gmail in the default email app:

View attachment 50631

Then Verizon must lock it down like that, because the default GN2 e-mail app on my AT&T device lets me set up any account, including Gmail. I just go into this screen, enter my username and password, and voila...I have Gmail. I can also configure the account to sync contacts, calendar, and tasks. (However, I still just use the default Gmail app.)

Screenshot_2012-12-12-10-14-21.png

jlindsey.stu

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I will agree with most of what you are saying but I will interject on calling a third party app a workaround as I feel the entire point of third party is to add functionality thats not inherent on a given device. As far as music sync goes google play music can take a ridiculous number of your songs and sync them to their servers so on any device you own you can have access. Also there is a feature to make said music available offline.

I consider a third party app a workaround when it has to be used because out of the box the phones pre-installed apps are too confusing. Again, my point as to why iOS has such a following is ease of use. You turn on your iPhone and plug it in to iTunes and you are good to go. In order to get that same easy funtionality from android you need a third party app, which unless you know about you won't find. People like my parents never download an app unless they hear about it on TV or I tell them about it. They are not sitting scanning the App Store for useful apps like people like us. I have not given google play music enough attention, maybe it is a good iTunes like replacement?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I disagree. I can't count the times I have helped friends with their ios devices and jokingly said "I thought that Apple just works?" the fact is that ios is not always easier. I came from a BlackBerry and an old windows phone so I was used to plugging in my device and copying files over like a usb drive. It was a consistent way that all windows devices worked. When my kids got ipods I found the whole iTunes thing incredibly hard to use and comprehend. It didn't sync well, it did things without asking me and had numerous problems accepting files.

iOS may in fact be more limited than Android which makes it appear to be easier but there are many things that "just work" on Android and are just "not possible" on iOS without a lot of fiddling or added cost with adapters and what not.

Look at how often you say that you can't do that on Android vs Apple. It's no competition. Android just covers more bases.

There are really only 2 things that Apple does really well that Android needs to work on.

1. The complete backup needs to be fully integrated into the account and include preferences and saved games etc.

2. Apple TV media sharing. There are a bunch of options with Android but they need to be integrated out of the box with stock tools. Perhaps when the Nexus Q is relaunched it will fill this gap in the market. I also think that if Samsung got their act together on their smart TV's they could make this happen in a much better way. AllShare is okay but nothing like Apple TV.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I consider a third party app a workaround when it has to be used because out of the box the phones pre-installed apps are too confusing. Again, my point as to why iOS has such a following is ease of use. You turn on your iPhone and plug it in to iTunes and you are good to go. In order to get that same easy funtionality from android you need a third party app, which unless you know about you won't find. People like my parents never download an app unless they hear about it on TV or I tell them about it. They are not sitting scanning the App Store for useful apps like people like us. I have not given google play music enough attention, maybe it is a good iTunes like replacement?

Play music will allow you to upload your library to their cloud. From there you can use play music on your tablets phones or pc. Tablet and phone you can choose to make music available offline you can select entire albums or single songs. Pc you dl their app to do the upload and it can also dl anything you have bought on play music for use on your pc. If you aren't at home your collection can be available on googles play store website by signing in and just stream from online.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
iOS may in fact be more limited than Android which makes it appear to be easier but there are many things that "just work" on Android and are just "not possible" on iOS without a lot of fiddling or added cost with adapters and what not.

This is certainly true, but for many people the limited subset of things that Apple does is good enough.