When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Riiiight.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

It was even reported here that they only had a few hundred thousand. If they sold millions, don't you think they would have it all over the media. What better way to boost sales than advertise you sold millions on launch day? Only select T-mobile stores carry them. My guess would bd 300,000 tops.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
After all this, I still don't understand discussing another phone company in the Samsung forum. I came here when I had my SG3 and a still visit. You will never see this type of thread on imore. Android has its pluses and iOs has its pluses. When I weighed my options, I went back to the iPhone. Everyone makes their own choices. I love my iPhone even more now that google released their map app last night. Now I have my Android maps on my iPhone. It has voice nav and all. Lol.

Sometimes simple and limited works for some people. I like playing and customizing my phone.

The reason people discuss things is because we like technology. The same happens with cameras, TV's, cars, stereos etc.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After all this, I still don't understand discussing another phone company in the Samsung forum. I came here when I had my SG3 and a still visit. You will never see this type of thread on imore. Android has its pluses and iOs has its pluses. When I weighed my options, I went back to the iPhone. Everyone makes their own choices. I love my iPhone even more now that google released their map app last night. Now I have my Android maps on my iPhone. It has voice nav and all. Lol.

Haven't you heard? You're supposed to hate everything Apple, dismiss them as a competitor, and post about it on every forum here. ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple can continue to do what they have been doing in the name of making money, but once a person goes to Android it is hard to get them back onto a smaller phone. I know it happens both ways, but right now big is what people want. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong for you or I. The 4" iPhone has and will serve some people well as long as the person wants a smaller phone. The reality is that not everyone does. iPhone isn't giving their customers any choice in the matter so people are going else were. The numbers would not be so huge if that wasn't the case. My wife has been going on about getting an iPhone. We went to the store and I showed her 3 Android phones then I walked over to the iPhone 5. I didn't say anything. She looked at it and said "what's this"? I said the iPhone 5. She said, "wow! it's so tiny". I said ya. She walked away and said, you can pick out the best phone for me. I don't think I can type on a phone that small.

The reality is that there is a definite buzz going on right now with people opting to not choose Apple for a lot of reasons. Whether it be price, small size, boring OS, or all the bad legal crap. 2 years ago this was not the case and Android had very little to offer over an iPhone, but now there is serious competition. For the record those stats of Apple having 70% were from 2011. A year has made a huge difference. I bet we are definitely getting closer to the 50% market now. When was the last time you heard Apple going on about how many iPhone 5's they've sold? The went off about the first 5 days then nothing.

I agree about the status thing, but it's a reality. We love talking about the newest thing we've purchased. It'd no different that a woman flaunting her Coach purse etc. Jewelry and fashion are part of status and electronics are no different.

I believe that the 80% market does care. They are spending a lot of money of money are going to look at a number of options which are again, size, value etc. When the sales person says "ya the SGS3 is a great phone and it's bigger and cheaper, many of the people will buy it. 2 years ago that wasn't the case.

Again - 3.5" was fine with many. The 4" didn't get any wider so typing will be the same. If they could type on a 3.5" iPhone, they could easily type on a 4" iPhone.

I'm going by the profit numbers, not the marketshare numbers. If Apple is making money, hand over fist, yet has less marketshare, well then marketshare doesn't really matter (or doesn't matter that much). In terms of profit, it's 70/20/10 (Apple/Samsung/Everyone Else), that's being generous. It was probably 75/15/10.

Switching comes down to ecosystem investment too. Former iOS users who spent a lot on apps might think twice about switching. Hardware ecosystem is less important this time around since the iPhone 5 gets a new shape and new dock connector. I'm not doubting that there is competition right now, but I believe Apple will be just fine with their position this year and next. Again, people here seem to be exaggerating Apple's demise. I think we're still a few years off from that.

I'm sorry but I really don't see the iPhone as a status symbol anymore. It's a relatively obtainable product now.

Unless you're getting the Galaxy S III from an indirect with different pricing, or on sale, it really isn't "cheaper" than getting an iPhone. Regular, on-contract, pricing is pretty much the same. If people keep thinking that the iPhone is expensive, people will keep thinking that Android is "cheap".

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Number one sexy those are HOLIDAY deals different DEALERS do and it's not only for the s3. Thats just cuz android was made for the MASSES not just the social elite or upper middle class with different choices and oems. And frankly more people are seeing apples iPhone for what it truly is... A Over priced Glass smartphone with a locked down system

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

The iphone is the holiday sale all the other prices have been fluctuating since summer...

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The N4 is sold out because of quantity. You actually think Google sold millions of N4's on launch day. I bet they only had a few hundred thousand to sell.

If u think only thousands of the NEXUS 4 were made u were dreaming lol even though they did kinda screw up the launch and who said only on launch day the n4 is STILL selling like hotcakes right along with the note 2 and razr maxx hd and Droid DNA and sgs3 which are all high end phones which was my point

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Another FALSE. Lol i almost got banned for telling off a ihead who was spitting lies about my current phone on the board. Smh

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
And none of those are outselling the iPhone. HTC is barely hanging on. And it's been proven numerous times that Samsung reports phones shipped. Not phones sold to actual people in their hands. So I don't believe the SG3 has outsold the iPhone. They maybe out shipped Apple. I have a minor in math. I can make statistics fit my agenda. But they're sitting on shelves.

*sigh* The post I responded to was about people grabbing up free phones. No where I mentioned the iPhone and I certainly don't care about if they are or aren't outselling the iPhone because that has nothing to do with if people are just buying cheap Android phones or not. None of the phones I listed are cheap or free, although some may be for the holiday season.

Of course as a journalism major I get to talk to a lot of people daily. While I focus on sports I can't help to see what tech stuff is going on as well. I just don't see many of those cheap phones around any of the places I traveled to or around campus.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
*sigh* The post I responded to was about people grabbing up free phones. No where I mentioned the iPhone and I certainly don't care about if they are or aren't outselling the iPhone because that has nothing to do with if people are just buying cheap Android phones or not. None of the phones I listed are cheap or free, although some may be for the holiday season.

Of course as a journalism major I get to talk to a lot of people daily. While I focus on sports I can't help to see what tech stuff is going on as well. I just don't see many of those cheap phones around any of the places I traveled to or around campus.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Where do you go to school? I study journalism at temple u

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Haven't you heard? You're supposed to hate everything Apple, dismiss them as a competitor, and post about it on every forum here. ;)

I don't hate everything Apple and you know it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It was even reported here that they only had a few hundred thousand. If they sold millions, don't you think they would have it all over the media. What better way to boost sales than advertise you sold millions on launch day? Only select T-mobile stores carry them. My guess would bd 300,000 tops.

They sold millions if for no other reason, it was a worldwide launch. And it was cheap for a prepaid carrier customer. If you didn't want to put out the money for a full featured phone like the note2 or the sgs3 then you could do a lot worse than the bare bones N4.

I am not fan of the iPhone but you got to admit it works for those that buy it.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

The only two sites where I see users continuously complaining about and putting down another manufacturer whether it's Apple or RIM is here and Crackberry. That tells me a lot, because iMore certainly doesn't do it to this extent.

I wish people could choose phones without running down others. I love all phones. Period. I bought my iPhone because I like iPhone's. I bought my SGS3 because I like SGS3's. I had my 9900 because I liked it. I have a Touch Pad and Pixi Plus because I like Palm and WebOS. I had a Lumia to try WP7.5...all are good devices and solid. Putting down other manufacturers and their users only makes this forum look bad, and the posters doing it look foolish. JMHO

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The only two sites where I see users continuously complaining about and putting down another manufacturer whether it's Apple or RIM is here and Crackberry. That tells me a lot, because iMore certainly doesn't do it to this extent.

I wish people could choose phones without running down others. I love all phones. Period. I bought my iPhone because I like iPhone's. I bought my SGS3 because I like SGS3's. I had my 9900 because I liked it. I have a Touch Pad and Pixi Plus because I like Palm and WebOS. I had a Lumia to try WP7.5...all are good devices and solid. Putting down other manufacturers and their users only makes this forum look bad, and the posters doing it look foolish. JMHO

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style

The reason for that is because Google and RIM don't act like Apple does. A lot of comments are not about how bad Apple phones are but more about how Apple treats competitors in the industry. They make great products but are scum as a company. They learned from the best. Mr SJ.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thank you.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The reason for that is because Google and RIM don't act like Apple does. A lot of comments are not about how bad Apple phones are but more about how Apple treats competitors in the industry. They make great products but are scum as a company. They learned from the best. Mr SJ.

Stale OS, locked-down system, small screens, too expensive - those are the comments I see here. Yet their products are great?

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The reason for that is because Google and RIM don't act like Apple does.

Which thing does Apple do that doesn't Google do?

And just to cut out the first response where you say they don't sue other companies, they are currently suing other companies. So that's not it.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not fan of the iPhone but you got to admit it works for those that buy it.

And for those who have never used a smartphone before. If my mom were to get one I'd recommend the iPhone to her immediately. She doesn't need customization, or extra features. She would just want a phone that works well with less effort and that's what the iPhone does better. No point getting her an Android if she isn't gonna understand or even want to use all the features it had.

Even my sister has an Android phone like me, loves it but still wants to get the latest iTouch cause that's what she uses as a music player.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Stale OS, locked-down system, small screens, too expensive - those are the comments I see here. Yet their products are great?

Build quality, and 'works' are the reason behind the great product. It is all those negatives as well

adipabeta

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Apple declare a nuclear war.

"Odin: A wise king never seeks out war, but he
must always be ready for it."

I'm never gonna being a part of it. The part which want war. :D

I'm a peace lover.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads