When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
And for those who have never used a smartphone before. If my mom were to get one I'd recommend the iPhone to her immediately. She doesn't need customization, or extra features. She would just want a phone that works well with less effort and that's what the iPhone does better. No point getting her an Android if she isn't gonna understand or even want to use all the features it had.

Even my sister has an Android phone like me, loves it but still wants to get the latest iTouch cause that's what she uses as a music player.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

My mom is in her 40's her husband his 50's both own android devices both are happy with them neither owned an iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Stale OS, locked-down system, small screens, too expensive - those are the comments I see here. Yet their products are great?

Yes. Even with those limitations their products are still great. Add great build quality, extensive apps, nice laptops and desktops, more reliable software and Apple TV to the mix too. These are all positives to Apple.

Most of my comments are stating why I think there will be change in people's opinions about Apple and how I think Apple is beginning to lose against Android. This is compared to what they had before. Does it mean they are going out of business any time soon? Hey no. But because they do have a stale Os. They do have a locked down system. They are more expensive. And they also treat their competitors and other innocent companies like crap, so many people view this as a negative and are choosing Android instead. If this type of discussion annoys you then opt out.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
My mom is in her 40's her husband his 50's both own android devices both are happy with them neither owned an iPhone.

Not everyone is the same. Some older adults understand it, others don't bother.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Which thing does Apple do that doesn't Google do?

And just to cut out the first response where you say they don't sue other companies, they are currently suing other companies. So that's not it.

All big companies sue other big companies. But there is an area where Apple treads that all others don't. They sue when they don't need to. They are destroying the patent system and making it a joke.

But what I really dislike is when Apple sues innocent companies over trademark.

Check these out then try to find anything similar that Google has sued. You won't find it.

http://m.tomshardware.com/news/apple-logo-legal-college,6459.html

http://dailycurrant.com/2012/09/21/apple-sues-york-orchard-patent-infringement/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/09/apple-sues-a-pl-a-polish-grocery-site-over-its-name/

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Even with those limitations their products are still great. Add great build quality, extensive apps, nice laptops and desktops, more reliable software and Apple TV to the mix too. These are all positives to Apple.

Most of my comments are stating why I think there will be change in people's opinions about Apple and how I think Apple is beginning to lose against Android. This is compared to what they had before. Does it mean they are going out of business any time soon? Hey no. But because they do have a stale Os. They do have a locked down system. They are more expensive. And they also treat their competitors and other innocent companies like crap, so many people view this as a negative and are choosing Android instead. If this type of discussion annoys you then opt out.

Android actually caught up in the app game a while back just an FYI. More reliable software is debatable as both iOS and android both crash the difference is how those issues are handled. Its hard to write a malicious app for a system that requires a drawn out submission process I will say that but both have had their exploits and issues. People who say macs don't get viruses is a flat out lie just a heads up. Build quality is debatable as well my friends always end up breaking screens on the slightest drops and guess who replaces them. If Google TV could have taken off I promise you it would have been a great experience after some time and development too.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Very good points. There are some benefits to users in Apple's behavior which I think is mostly fine.

But firing the guy that made iOS made me think about switching to Android which I have now done.

Scott Forstall was pushed out a few months ago in what appeared to be a lot of politicking at Apple.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Plus Qualcomm says Apple refuses to pay royalties when they use stuff that other companies have patents on but if someone did that to them they'd go nuts.
I'm amazed they haven't been fined or something. They abuse the patent system and don't even follow its own rules.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Plus Qualcomm says Apple refuses to pay royalties when they use stuff that other companies have patents on but if someone did that to them they'd go nuts.
I'm amazed they haven't been fined or something. They abuse the patent system and don't even follow its own rules.

Do you have more details?

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The message is the same, they blatantly abuse the patent system, and refuse to pay royalties for tech they use that is patented by other companies. They act like the rules don't apply to them.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The message is the same, they blatantly abuse the patent system, and refuse to pay royalties for tech they use that is patented by other companies. They act like the rules don't apply to them.

I will say its an accusation more than anything to the ITC partly over the Motorola vs apple case.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Very good points. There are some benefits to users in Apple's behavior which I think is mostly fine.

But firing the guy that made iOS made me think about switching to Android which I have now done.
Scott Forstall was pushed out a few months ago in what appeared to be a lot of politicking at Apple.
I actually think this was not a bad idea. I think there needed to be some shake up at Apple in order to get a new outlook on where they will be going as they move ahead. His replacement Jonathan Ive is a very smart guy who is loved dearly by Apple fans. I think if anyone can give some fresh blood to iOS it's him.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Qualcomm withdrew that letter.
That may be true, but what was said was said because they meant it. Saying oops after slapping someone in the face doesn't change the fact that Apple got slapped.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I actually think this was not a bad idea. I think there needed to be some shake up at Apple in order to get a new outlook on where they will be going as they move ahead. His replacement Jonathan Ive is a very smart guy who is loved dearly by Apple fans. I think if anyone can give some fresh blood to iOS it's him.

Watch how quickly that statement changes. Apple fans will start to hate him because he has to change something, thus distancing himself from the purists. It won't be seen in the 5s, but watch out on the 6

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Android actually caught up in the app game a while back just an FYI. More reliable software is debatable as both iOS and android both crash the difference is how those issues are handled. Its hard to write a malicious app for a system that requires a drawn out submission process I will say that but both have had their exploits and issues. People who say macs don't get viruses is a flat out lie just a heads up. Build quality is debatable as well my friends always end up breaking screens on the slightest drops and guess who replaces them. If Google TV could have taken off I promise you it would have been a great experience after some time and development too.
I'm very aware of where they are in the app game. I should have been more clear in what I meant. Apple has a very polished developer platform for their apps which tends to make "most" of their apps a bit more finished and uniform. Like you said, they have a lengthy process which I think helps to ensure there is some consistency. I was just pointing out that because Apple has done a good job on their apps and app store that this is a plus for Apple. This doesn't mean in any way that Android doesn't have great alternatives and in many cases better options, but I think they will still be playing catch up for around another year.

I was generalizing in some ways regarding build quality. But overall I think we agree that Apple tries very hard to make well built products. Maybe even harder than everyone else.

I am hoping that Google or Samsung or anyone would get with it and develop a new and improved media share device. The Nexus Q appears to be that device, but there needs to be better stock software that can integrate better. I have a Samsung Smart TV and it shares "okay" with my SGS2, but still doesn't measure up to the way Apple TV works with their devices. IMO.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It was even reported here that they only had a few hundred thousand. If they sold millions, don't you think they would have it all over the media. What better way to boost sales than advertise you sold millions on launch day? Only select T-mobile stores carry them. My guess would be 300,000 tops.
Google doesn't broadcast sales like Apple and Samsung. The Nexus 7 tablet has been selling around 1 million devices per month according to Asus. I would assume LG will leak a bit of the sales at some point. But considering that this was a global release there will certainly be sales in the Millions.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Again - 3.5" was fine with many. The 4" didn't get any wider so typing will be the same. If they could type on a 3.5" iPhone, they could easily type on a 4" iPhone.

I'm going by the profit numbers, not the marketshare numbers. If Apple is making money, hand over fist, yet has less marketshare, well then marketshare doesn't really matter (or doesn't matter that much). In terms of profit, it's 70/20/10 (Apple/Samsung/Everyone Else), that's being generous. It was probably 75/15/10.

Switching comes down to ecosystem investment too. Former iOS users who spent a lot on apps might think twice about switching. Hardware ecosystem is less important this time around since the iPhone 5 gets a new shape and new dock connector. I'm not doubting that there is competition right now, but I believe Apple will be just fine with their position this year and next. Again, people here seem to be exaggerating Apple's demise. I think we're still a few years off from that.

I'm sorry but I really don't see the iPhone as a status symbol anymore. It's a relatively obtainable product now.

Unless you're getting the Galaxy S III from an indirect with different pricing, or on sale, it really isn't "cheaper" than getting an iPhone. Regular, on-contract, pricing is pretty much the same. If people keep thinking that the iPhone is expensive, people will keep thinking that Android is "cheap".

I will let the real news speak for itself.
IPhone 5 hits China as Apple shares slide further | Reuters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34