When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Pretty obvious you have no clue what you are talking about and now you will just diss the article because you don't believe it. Fools like you make this community a rough place for people who are here to have a nice discussion and are open to both sides. I own a PC I don't own a MAC but I work on both daily. OS-X is Unix based. Unix is known to be a great operating system.

Yep, cheap stuff like cheapest motherboard, memory you can find to make the pc cheaper than what is comparable to the mac price. Newegg has good stuff obviously because I bought my stuff from them to build this high end machine. You sir misread and thought I said all of New egg stuff is cheap when i reality I never said that, you just dreamed it up.

Sorry, FACTs are facts. I provided them, you didn't. MAC and PC specs vs spec are equal in price. I am sure you did, but not with the same specs of the MACs they sell.

Just read this ridiculous article. Macs come with high quality software. Really?! Could've fooled me, I've never used any of it because it's essentially bloatware just from Apple, and really not any good.

Cheap crap from Tiger or Newegg? Are you freaking serious?! Sure there's cheap crap but they also sell high quality stuff and it's still cheaper than the crap offered in my Mac.

Sorry my friends and I built pc's in college that were better than Macs and half the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Really? Now you actually showed me how much you really know. The Dell 27" IPS display is exactly the same panel as the Apple Cinema 27". LOL.

The Dell is not that upgradeable either. Very little for PCI ports or room. Also, the Apple has that Fusion system so you get the space with the speed of SSD which is nice. Apple also comes with a 680MX much better video card and obviously more expensive.

Either way, we need to get back on topic. This is about iphones not Macs. :p

You are splitting hairs with the monitor. Yes Apple makes nice monitors, but so does Dell if you buy their Ultra Sharp displays. I actually feel that the color correction is better on my Dell than my iMac when it comes to matching for print.
That system you posted is $500 more than the a very similar Dell system which comes with a number of add ons like touch screen and 16GB of Ram instead of 8GB. If you add the extra 8GB of ram and you have another $200+ on your system, so you're is much more. But anyone that buys an all in one is a idjit.
View attachment 54867
I would recommend buying a desktop system as you can get even more.
Here's a system with an i7, 32GB of RAM, 3TB ofHD + 256GB SSD and 1.5GB Nvidia and a 27inch monitor and a "Bluray burner" for the same price as the iMac which is an all in one that is not very upgradeable.
View attachment 54869

Or you could piece it together a bit more and go this way (see what I'm doing here? I have choice)
Same i7, 24GB of Ram, 2TB HD, The super fast AMD 7870 Video card, a bluray burner for only $1799
Then I can add a 30 inch monitor for $999 and still be close to the same price as your system for waaaaaaayyy more.
View attachment 54874
View attachment 54875

If I match spec for spec, your iMac system as a Dell desktop with specs as close as I can get it only costs me $1235.00. So even if I added an extra $500 just for snizzles and sheets I am only at $1735.

And for what it's worth, it's not always about buying the most expensive system. If I opted to buy a slightly cheaper system I could get even more value and still get a very fast PC yet the iMac would not be a lot cheaper.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Really? Now you actually showed me how much you really know. The Dell 27" IPS display is exactly the same panel as the Apple Cinema 27". LOL.

The Dell is not that upgradeable either. Very little for PCI ports or room. Also, the Apple has that Fusion system so you get the space with the speed of SSD which is nice. Apple also comes with a 680MX much better video card and obviously more expensive.

Either way, we need to get back on topic. This is about iphones not Macs. :p
The reality is that Dell doesn't sell Mac's so the specs are different. I know that Apple displays are nice, but I priced a 30" not a 27" and I also have inflated every spec possible on the Dell system and it is far less than the Mac. And the systems I quoted had SSD's so they are the same. Plus it is a desktop system which is totally upgradable. Far more than the pancake box of an iMac. Not that we upgrade much anyway, but it is what it is. You can;t even compare a Mac desktop system anymore. If you go to the Mac Pro system that is not a all in one the Dell system would have to be a full blown server with 2 quad core Xeon's and 64GB of ram and so many options it's ridiculous to even come close to the price of the Mac Pro. and the video card on the Mac Pro is still a 5870 which isn't even close to the graphics card I included.

You asked me to give you pricing and I did. You are trying to paddle with a sh*t paddle with sh*t gloves in a sh*t canoe. Even if I bought a Apple monitor I would still be cheaper a lot cheaper as a PC with a lot more hardware and faster video card.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The reality is that Dell doesn't sell Mac's so the specs are different. I know that Apple displays are nice, but I have inflated every spec possible on the Dell system and it is far less than the Mac. And the systems I quoted had SSD's so they are the same. Plus it is a desktop system which is totally upgradable. Far more than the pancake box of an iMac. Not that we upgrade much anyway, but it is what it is. You can;t even compare a Mac desktop system anymore. If you go to the Mac Pro system that is not a all in one the Dell system would have to be a full blown server with 2 quad core Xeon's and 64GB of ram and so many options it's ridiculous to even come close to the price of the Mac Pro. and the video card on the Mac Pro is still a 5870 which isn't even close to the graphics card I included.

You asked me to give you pricing and I did. You are trying to paddle with a sh*t paddle with sh*t gloves in a sh*t canoe. Even if I bought a Apple monitor I would still be cheaper a lot cheaper as a PC with a lot more hardware and faster video card.

I think you're wasting your time dude. Leave him to his so-called "20 years experience" and let's get back to why this topic was made.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Brad,

Have you factored in resale value at all? You might pay less up front with a Dell, but if you look at what the older ones sell for on eBay, its not that much. Macs tend to hold their value much better.

I haven't done any actual comparisons, but I wonder if the total cost of ownership is really that different.

Having said that, this is all somewhat silly anyhow. I didn't switch because of hardware differences. I ultimately switched because I strongly prefer the Unix based OSX to WIndows.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not touching this one really but to say this. If the value of an object is high when it is new it will retain a higher resell value because of that alone

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Brad,

Have you factored in resale value at all? You might pay less up front with a Dell, but if you look at what the older ones sell for on eBay, its not that much. Macs tend to hold their value much better.

I haven't done any actual comparisons, but I wonder if the total cost of ownership is really that different.

Having said that, this is all somewhat silly anyhow. I didn't switch because of hardware differences. I ultimately switched because I strongly prefer the Unix based OSX to WIndows.
Well let me clarify my position on this. I run a graphic design company that also does custom Internet application development as well as mobile apps. We use both Macs and PCs, so although I am biased to price and overall value, I can appreciate both platforms. But I do feel Macs have been over priced for years. We are now dealing with systems capable of running 99% of our software for very little money. We are no longer playing the software catch up game, so to answer your question... I typically use my computers until they are dead. I have a good process for how I delegate computers in my office as not everyone requires a power system. I have designers that need faster everything, then programmers and administrative staff that don't need much. So when I buy a new system for one of my designers I give their old system to one of my other staff members. And the computer at the bottom of the ladder is typically worth squat regardless of whether it is a Mac or PC as it is usually around 5 years old or more. So then I usually give this system to charity or to my kids or use it as a basic Internet system in my kitchen etc. I squeeze all the love I can out of my systems. I do find that because all my PCs are a bit more upgradable that I can even swap parts to get more life out of them. Usually when a Mac is older its not as easy to get the extra life out of it. Usually it's that the hard drive is just too small. But if I was to be selling a system every couple of years a Mac would probably sell for more, but it should because it also costs a lot more. The comparisons we were making were for power systems. In a typical office you would never need 3tb of hd or the crazy graphics cards etc. so this is where PCs can be beneficial to the business owner. I can buy a computer for $500 and still get lots of life out of it as most employees just need communication tools. I guess it is a matter of knowing what to buy for the purpose of the user. This was also why I was happy to see the new Mac mini. They are much more affordable for administrative type users that don't need what a regular iMac offers. It gives me more options.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Brad,

Agreed. Sell iphone4s for around 400 right now. Or a 1 year old mbp that went for 1599 is worth around 1200-1300 while pcs of the same are about 700-800.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on Tapatalk.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Sell iphone4s for around 400 right now. Or a 1 year old mbp that went for 1599 is worth around 1200-1300 while pcs of the same are about 700-800.

First off I gotta call bs nobody in the PC world buys a desktop at a price similar to the mbp and sells it a year later. Second I doubt that said PC would sell for around half its price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I never look at resale anymore. Why buy it if you are selling it? As for laptops. The MBP is a fine unit, but seriously over priced. If I went all in and bought a nice system for around $2000 I could buy a comparable Dell Ultra book for $1000. Now before you get your panties in a wad, let's say that the mbp is superior. But the ultra book is still no slouch.

We then use are systems and in 3 years your mpb will be showing some wear and tear as will my ultra book. I decide to go buy a new ultra book for $1000 and now have a system with the latest and greatest while you still have you 3 year old mbp. I can now get another 3 years of use out of my new ultra book where your mbp would never be able to get another 3. We both spent the same yet the dell laptop would be the clear winner in the long run.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I never look at resale anymore. Why buy it if you are selling it? As for laptops. The MBP is a fine unit, but seriously over priced. If I went all in and bought a nice system for around $2000 I could buy a comparable Dell Ultra book for $1000. Now before you get your panties in a wad, let's say that the mbp is superior. But the ultra book is still no slouch.

We then use are systems and in 3 years your mpb will be showing some wear and tear as will my ultra book. I decide to go buy a new ultra book for $1000 and now have a system with the latest and greatest while you still have you 3 year old mbp. I can now get another 3 years of use out of my new ultra book where your mbp would never be able to get another 3. We both spent the same yet the dell laptop would be the clear winner in the long run.

You are comparing the wrong units... the UltraBook is in competition with the MacBook Air... not the MacBook Pro.... the Pro blows the $1000 UltraBook out of the water.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
First off I gotta call bs nobody in the PC world buys a desktop at a price similar to the mbp and sells it a year later. Second I doubt that said PC would sell for around half its price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I have. Dell xps 15 over 2k was only worth 1k. Every mbp i have sold for only a few hundred less than what it cost me a year later. Again some people refuse to research on here.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Funny because there are more old macs in use than pcs because they still run fast and dont have the bloated windowd and other applications that slow them down. So again wrong. There are also many articles on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax