When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Funny because there are more old macs in use than pcs because they still run fast and dont have the bloated windowd and other applications that slow them down. So again wrong. There are also many articles on this.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on Tapatalk.

Sounds more like users just letting crap pile up over the years. No type of computer is exempt from that.

Oh well back to football.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
My dell inspiron 1545r is perfect running Linux mint. I fail to see the argument of Mac vs PC in light of how long can it last. Mines like 4 years old I compile android sources all the time.

Edit: also that old laptop I can upgrade the ram and the CPU if I so choose.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yep, we can do that on the MBP too. Upgrade the CPU and ram. :)

My dell inspiron 1545r is perfect running Linux mint. I fail to see the argument of Mac vs PC in light of how long can it last. Mines like 4 years old I compile android sources all the time.

Edit: also that old laptop I can upgrade the ram and the CPU if I so choose.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it's stupid to base a decision on resell value. I don't buy something based on how much I'll charge some random guy down the road. I plan to use what I buy for MY needs. Resell is frosting, but it's not what I base my purchase on. What a lousy argument.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Netguysc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I disagree, resell is higher because of a perception of it being a higher quality phone and in many ways that perception is correct.
This is similar to comparing the resell valua between a toyota and a kia. Both cars can go from point a to point b, but there are real reasons the toyota has a higher resell value, it earned it just like apple did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it's stupid to base a decision on resell value. I don't buy something based on how much I'll charge some random guy down the road. I plan to use what I buy for MY needs. Resell is frosting, but it's not what I base my purchase on. What a lousy argument.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I don't buy on resell value either; I could care less if my note sells for $30 in 2 years lol. I'm happy with it now so resell isn't ever an issue for this geek. :D

Sent from my behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note II. :D

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You are comparing the wrong units... the UltraBook is in competition with the MacBook Air... not the MacBook Pro.... the Pro blows the $1000 UltraBook out of the water.
I'm aware of the fact that the MBP is a fine machine but truthfully in every day use the Dell Ultrabook for $1000 will run fantastic and also has more ram than the MBP. It's not about running benchmarks and saying Retina this or that, it's about how much use you get in the long run for the amount of money you spend.

You can say that the Dell Ultra Book is a piece of crap if you like, but it's not. And it certainly has far better specs than the Macbook Air.

Macbook Air: $1499
13-inch
1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
4GB memory
256GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Dell Laptop: $749
3rd Generation Intel? Core? i7-3632QM (6MB cache, up to 3.2Ghz)
Display: 15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Hard Drive: 1TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Optical Drive: 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Video Card: Intel? HD Graphics 4000

The Dell is clearly giving way more for the price. 2x the RAM, 4x the HD space, larger monitor, same video card. Plus you get this amazing thing called a DVD burner.

Look, If you feel like paying the extra money to buy a MBP then fill your boots. I get it. Some people want to buy a Ferrari and to pay extra for the status of having this extender, but for me I have seen over the years that Mac's don't out perform in the long run vs PC's when you compare Dollars. If you have found in your life that they do then go for it and get out your credit card cuz it's gonna hurt.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
@badbrad.... when you can get OSX on the UltraBook... let me know.

You cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear... I dont care how cheap the hardware is.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got an Asus Zenbook Prime ultrabook through Amazon during their $200 gift card promo. The total price was $1200 but $200 of that was an Amazon gift card, so the machine was $1000. It is comparable to the Macbook Air 13". Here are my specs:

Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7-3517U
4 GB RAM
128 GB Solid-State Drive
Backlit Keyboard
Bang and Olufsen Speakers
13.3-Inch IPS Full-HD (1080p) LED Screen

free shipping, no tax!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Funny because there are more old macs in use than pcs because they still run fast and dont have the bloated windowd and other applications that slow them down. So again wrong. There are also many articles on this.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on Tapatalk.
If it's like the last article you posted then I wouldn't hold it as any real value.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds more like users just letting crap pile up over the years. No type of computer is exempt from that.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
Actually the reason is that when you spend $2,000 on a laptop you don;t have any money left to buy a new one so you just keep banging away with your old system. Meanwhile PC users are upgrading to the latest and greatest for half price.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
@badbrad.... when you can get OSX on the UltraBook... let me know.

You cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear... I don't care how cheap the hardware is.
The funny thing about this argument is that I work every day in an office with both systems and guess what? The people that use OSX are the dumbest computer users in the universe. They can;t do crap with their computers. I stand there asking them to connect to the network or to back things up to portable drives and they stand there looking at me like I'm asking them to perform surgery. OSX is great if all you need to do it use Photoshop and email people. Beyond that the system falls apart. Any time we need to get something working in our office guess who we ask to solve the problem on the Mac's? You guessed it. PC users.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I just got an Asus Zenbook Prime ultrabook through Amazon during their $200 gift card promo. The total price was $1200 but $200 of that was an Amazon gift card, so the machine was $1000. It is comparable to the Macbook Air 13". Here are my specs:

Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7-3517U
4 GB RAM
128 GB Solid-State Drive
Backlit Keyboard
Bang and Olufsen Speakers
13.3-Inch IPS Full-HD (1080p) LED Screen

free shipping, no tax!
Oh wait! Except you got the i7 Chip instead of the i5 which is on the Macbook Air, so you would need to upgrade to the Mac Book Pro to get this chip. Cha Ching!

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh wait! Except you got the i7 Chip instead of the i5 which is on the Macbook Air, so you would need to upgrade to the Mac Book Pro to get this chip. Cha Ching!
And don't forget the speakers - they are sweet! I didn't think it would make such a difference but it does. Samsung series 9 ultrabooks are nice, too.

And don't forget the no tax!

And they are starting to make these ultrabooks with touch screens, which I didn't think I would care much about until I played around with one. I will probably give my ultrabook to my mom next christmas and get a touchscreen ultrabook for myself.

Persill

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
If you want to play games save your money and buy an XBox or a PS3. Seriously I can't stand playing those kinds of games on my phone. I need a computer or console. A phone never cuts it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I totally agree with that, I prefer simpler games for my phone or tablet. Shooters can be annoying with touch screen controls. Nothing like a good ol tower defense game for the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Smart people dont make sweeping generalizations. Fanbois do. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
I have only met a few tech savvy people who preferred Apple devices. In general, they are just too locked down for people who like to tinker.

I am no fan of Windows, but I can't take the locked down environment of Apple, either.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with that, I prefer simpler games for my phone or tablet. Shooters can be annoying with touch screen controls. Nothing like a good ol tower defense game for the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

That may be your opinion sir but I can't take my 360 everywhere. If I could afford the laptop conversion I would. Until then my phone and a ps3 controller will have to do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463