When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What legitimized it was the mp3 file. Only after that was there a portable format that wasn't massive. Apple may have taken advantage of the opportunity, but they were not alone in the direction things were going. If it wasn't them it would have been someone else shortly after.

And let's not forget to thank Napster for their contribution ;-)

Which is why I used the word "legitimized".

Napster was far from legitimate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Always two sides to the story....legitimate music, or legitimate corporate....either way, the smart ones have a beautiful lossless library of some of the greatest classics ever. Now that is legit.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yada yada yada. Bottom line the shutdown of Napster didn't' stop those who wanted free music. I pay for mines though

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And god forbid you copy a vhs to watch later with the fam. Dont even think about buying extra hifi sony cassetts to play in the car from your best friends new rap tape. Cause we have all never done that fo sho.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Some formats work, but many don't. It's not "rocket appliances", but for some (and not just Apple users) even the simplest tasks can be daunting. For what it's worth I'm glad they have it figured out. Some people take the time to learn others don't. I actually sent a dropbox link to 6 couples I know with very detailed instructions on how to:
A: open a dropbox account and get the files
B: login to the existing account with supplied user/pass
C: just click the link and download the files.

After spending the better part of 15 minutes writing this, only 1 couple actually clicked the link. The other 5 couples drove over to my house with a usb stick or a blank CD and had me copy the files for them.
I was truly dumb struck. I also felt like punching a few people ;)

The Dropbox thing is a good idea except for one problem. Apple won't let you download s video straight from there. It's dumb I know. You can save photos but not videos. A real PITA.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The Dropbox thing is a good idea except for one problem. Apple won't let you download s video straight from there. It's dumb I know. You can save photos but not videos. A real PITA.
Ya Dropbox is far better on Android. But it wasn't a video, just a zip file.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
God forbid you loan your cd for a friend to burn

Ya. This is a crazy can of worms. But for what it's worth people that download music illegally are also the ones that buy the most.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
God forbid you loan your cd for a friend to burn
Never did that myself, but regardless, Napster allowed it to be done on a large scale quite easily and made it seem legitimate (which it wasn't) and which had it not been stopped would have destroyed the music industry.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Never did that myself, but regardless, Napster allowed it to be done on a large scale quite easily and made it seem legitimate (which it wasn't) and which had it not been stopped would have destroyed the music industry.

Bands like Radiohead and Dispatch would disagree with you.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ya. This is a crazy can of worms. But for what it's worth people that download music illegally are also the ones that buy the most.

I fundamentally have disagreed with itunes from day one. I will never consider a corporate empire that gives me 5-6 computer/phone/ipods to put my music on before I lose it "legitimate."

It is a crazy can of rotten worms, and the tittle of this thread is ironic, becasue apple hasn't won in quite some time.....so as for the love affair???? Not sure what that "means," but I never loved apple or itunes. Kinda think this thread is making me light headed from the merry go round of apple this and android that.

Illegal is a term for suspenders and chalk. I am not drawing lines, and the biggest thieves are those that make it so that you have no rights to what you purchase. Why not let legitimate itunes bring down the drm management to two PC,s and one ipod? That will show those napster sharing friend punks! I cant give this thread any more time. I have said my piece, and I dont do circles.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Last piece, thank god metallica saved the industry......while they completely failed with every napster hating release.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Bands like Radiohead and Dispatch would disagree with you.
And Metallica would agree with me.

NOTHING ever stopped Radiohead and Dispatch from giving their music away for free. IF they wanted to do that, they are free to do that. But them wanting to give their music away for free doesn't entitle anyone to steal Metallica's music.

You get that, don't you? How radiohead and dispatch consenting to giving their music away for free doesn't in any way shape or form mean that someone is legitimate in stealing Metallica's music, right?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I fundamentally have disagreed with itunes from day one. I will never consider a corporate empire that gives me 5-6 computer/phone/ipods to put my music on before I lose it "legitimate."

It is a crazy can of rotten worms, and the tittle of this thread is ironic, becasue apple hasn't won in quite some time.....so as for the love affair???? Not sure what that "means," but I never loved apple or itunes. Kinda think this thread is making me light headed from the merry go round of apple this and android that.

Illegal is a term for suspenders and chalk. I am not drawing lines, and the biggest thieves are those that make it so that you have no rights to what you purchase. Why not let legitimate itunes bring down the drm management to two PC,s and one ipod? That will show those napster sharing friend punks! I cant give this thread any more time. I have said my piece, and I dont do circles.

Here here. Thanks for the input. I found it funny that Metallica just signed a deal with Spotify who recently purchased Napster. And as you mentioned the artists see very little to nothing from record sales. Maybe 10-40 cents per album. Many new artists are now offering their music for free on the Pirate Bay too. Promotion is far more beneficial to an artist than a few dollars for a hundred cd sales. I played in a band for over 20 years. We gave away our music and played gigs for free just to gain popularity so why wouldn't new artists use this medium to gain recognition. It's no different than recording yourself and posting it on YouTube.

The delivery is flawed, not where you get it.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Johnly, you clearly don't respect intellectual property rights. You see intellectual property as somehow different from real property or money. But it is not. It is a good thing you are not going to respond to this anymore. Please hold yourself to your word.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
with Spotify who recently purchased Napster.
The post-bankruptcy napster is not the same company, just the same name. Pre-bankruptcy, it was organized crime - a conspiracy to steal people's intellectual property. Clearly you don't respect copyrights if you think stealing other people's intellectual property is OK.

If Metallica wants to enter into agreements with spotify now, that is THEIR choice since it is THEIR intellectual property. It is a far cry from the original napster where the artists had no say and their intellectual property was stolen from them.

IF you don't understand intellectual property law, then educate yourself. But I do and your arguments are nonsense.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Johnly, you clearly don't respect intellectual property rights. You see intellectual property as somehow different from real property or money. But it is not. It is a good thing you are not going to respond to this anymore. Please hold yourself to your word.

This is why I dont participate. When someone states personal innuendos.....I have to drop it. I can't be nice after this and get infractions lmfao! Onward now, but do not be personal, just stick to the facts and keep it focused okay:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084