When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Screw it we just need to all go vanilla, too much fragmentation. Let's face it if we actually got timely updates that dont kill the phone. We could do ios so.e serious damage. We need to use Google docs as a cloud back up like apple dose with i cloud. If we had more developer priority and something they could all use universally I think we would really move forward. I get proprietary skins and why you would want to keep it that way. But when you hurt the consumer move from one to the other and make unfofilled promises. You put a bad taste in our mouths. So wake up owns need to get the messege.
And Google as well we want it seamless we don't want to ha w to worry about it all. But I'm sure apple has some rediculus pattent out there smh.united we stand to the rotting apple decided we take a bite and get sick.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Screw it we just need to all go vanilla, too much fragmentation. Let's face it if we actually got timely updates that dont kill the phone. We could do ios so.e serious damage. We need to use Google docs as a cloud back up like apple dose with i cloud. If we had more developer priority and something they could all use universally I think we would really move forward. I get proprietary skins and why you would want to keep it that way. But when you hurt the consumer move from one to the other and make unfofilled promises. You put a bad taste in our mouths. So wake up owns need to get the messege.
And Google as well we want it seamless we don't want to ha w to worry about it all. But I'm sure apple has some rediculus pattent out there smh.united we stand to the rotting apple decided we take a bite and get sick.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

lol.

I'd just like to point out that your last two phones should have been the GSM Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 if you truly cared about everything you just posted about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Or an iPhone.

I don't want a barebones phone and that is what vanilla android is. I like a good solid starting point.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
One thing you will NEVER see on this forum is for an Android or an Apple user say: "you know what? You're right. Your phone is better. I'm selling this junk phone and getting your phone tomorrow!" I still say a Silverado is better. Sell that Ford tomorrow.
Actually I've seen people say that on this forum a number of times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Apple didn't invent the "game" of holding back features for later models to help sell new devices and they aren't the only one who plays it. I'm fan of Apple's desktop OS, but not so much of iOS. I think much of the "love affair" with Apple stems from the fact that aside from their gift of showmanship and timing, they also make both the OS and the hardware and they are the only ones who build Apple products. That makes them hard not to notice. They are also very good at making iconic hardware with some really stunning industrial design. The Android world is more like a blur of dozens of different devices, most of which look just like one another and the only thing iconic about them is they keep getting bigger and thinner. There's never really any one model that is so stunning that it sucks all the air out of the room and forces you to notice it amongst all the others. The closest thing I've seen is the Galaxy Note, which stands out not because its a beautifully made piece of iconic hardware, but because its so silly big you can't miss it.

With Android you have this never ending procession of new devices with incremental improvements, so people's attention is spread out through all these different devices and there is no single unifying object that commands all the attention and can be an object of idol worship for a whole year while people breathlessly wait for the next one. The integrity of Android is also diluted by the multitudes of mediocre and truly ty cheap Android devices out there. Many people buy one of those first and get the impression that all of Android sucks as much as their bargain phone. I fell into that category myself for a while and walked away from Android for a couple of years in disgust, until I got a Nexus 7 about a month ago.

So to answer your question, I think the love affair with Apple will go on until Apple is dumb enough to really stop surprising and delighting people, which I think it beginning to happen already OR until another brand comes along that both does some remarkable things AND is at least as good, or better than Apple is at "playing the game". If there's a brand like that out there, I haven't seen it yet. It certainly isn't Samsung who's only advertising idea is to poke fun at the very people who's business they are trying to gain and who's only concept of innovation is to keep making the same plastiphone over and over again, just thinner and with a bigger screen every time. Throwing a stylus on one of them as a combo breaker isn't really as revolutionary as they would like you to believe it is.

As strange as it may sound to some of you, the brand who has the best (but still very slim) chance of stealing some of Apple's thunder, is Nokia. They are the only other phone manufacturer out there whose industrial design is worthy of mentioning in the same breath as Apple's. The N9/Lumia 9xx design is the only thing I've seen in recent memory that is close to as iconic as the iPhone, and its original too and does not look like an iPhone and it's OS doesn't look like iOS either. In fact, during the case with Samsung, Apple themselves pointed to the Lumia and Windows Phone as definitive proof that it was, in fact possible to make a smartphone and OS that look nothing like Apple's stuff...

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

As have I, all the I phone 5/4s/4 owners have made many threads dating that they got rid of their I phones and got Androids causer they were getting bored with I phones lol.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Or an iPhone.

I don't want a barebones phone and that is what vanilla android is. I like a good solid starting point.

I hardly think aosp is barebones. I feel its a simpler setup but I don't think base for base it's missing much of anything as compared to other skins. Tw from my experience on the skyrocket which has had a 4.1.2 leaked firmware has no real advancing features that put it anywhere ahead of 4.1.2 aosp. I feel tw is overly busy with large icons and far too many toggles buttons and notifications that show up regardless of whether you want a clean and simple ui or not. Sense is better but still not great. As for features what does aosp not have that a base build for Sammy HTC or Sony have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I hardly think aosp is barebones. I feel its a simpler setup but I don't think base for base it's missing much of anything as compared to other skins. Tw from my experience on the skyrocket which has had a 4.1.2 leaked firmware has no real advancing features that put it anywhere ahead of 4.1.2 aosp. I feel tw is overly busy with large icons and far too many toggles buttons and notifications that show up regardless of whether you want a clean and simple ui or not. Sense is better but still not great. As for features what does aosp not have that a base build for Sammy HTC or Sony have?

I think tw is ugly but has waay more functionality then aosp.. It's definitely more of a consumer device. And now with things like sbeam.. Multi window... Smart stay... Etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I think tw is ugly but has waay more functionality then aosp.. It's definitely more of a consumer device. And now with things like sbeam.. Multi window... Smart stay... Etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

But those weren't part of 4.1.2 for the skyrocket. Again as far as base builds go what added functionality is there. Like I said you can use any skin. I'm legitimately curious I'm not trying to dog or doubt you I'm just unaware.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Everyone, including the writers of this site, say that it is barebones. It is built so that the user can add whatever they want to the basics.

TW is ugly by itself, but 2 minutes with an internet connection and most of the ugly is gone.

If you cannot see the differences between TW 4.1.2 and AOSP 4.1.2 then you just arent looking. Heck pull up the camera app and you will see 5-6 differences, the only one going in AOSPs favor is photospere, but I can have that.

I am also assuming that you with the skyrocket are not getting any of the TW UX features and are on an older version of TW. If you aren't getting the latest, then yeah you are missing out on a ton of stuff.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Everyone, including the writers of this site, say that it is barebones. It is built so that the user can add whatever they want to the basics.

TW is ugly by itself, but 2 minutes with an internet connection and most of the ugly is gone.

If you cannot see the differences between TW 4.1.2 and AOSP 4.1.2 then you just arent looking. Heck pull up the camera app and you will see 5-6 differences, the only one going in AOSPs favor is photospere, but I can have that.

I am also assuming that you with the skyrocket are not getting any of the TW UX features and are on an older version of TW. If you aren't getting the latest, then yeah you are missing out on a ton of stuff.

No we have the new tw nature ux. I didn't look at the camera as I normally point and shoot that's it. But I really don't see what "features" are added between the two. We have a custom ROM built off the leak with the smart features added. All I noticed were a bunch of extra apps, higher ram usage, and fugly ui.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So you do see the extras that tw add but choose to disregard them. That is your choice. Flash aosp or aosp and be merry

mikeraba

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

My point was that while a person still owns an iPhone, he won't conceed that his phone sucks due to a point brought up here.Same with an Android phone owner. Lots of people switch from iPhone to Android and Andriod to iPhone. You hear about it after they do it. You don't hear them say that you brought up a good point about my phone X...so now I'll get rid of it.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
So you do see the extras that tw add but choose to disregard them. That is your choice. Flash aosp or aosp and be merry

So the features like the smart stay and multiscreen on newer devices. But how do those make aosp bare bones. From an apps and settings standpoint they both have the same base functionality. Then Samsung adds a notepad, file browser, and some remote control for smart TV's. What you call a starting point I see as bloat all I'm saying is your assessment is biased I feel a bit unfair to aosp. When I think bare bones I would think email app, music player, gallery, stuff like that would be gone to allow the user to choose.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So the features like the smart stay and multiscreen on newer devices. But how do those make aosp bare bones. From an apps and settings standpoint they both have the same base functionality. Then Samsung adds a notepad, file browser, and some remote control for smart TV's. What you call a starting point I see as bloat all I'm saying is your assessment is biased I feel a bit unfair to aosp. When I think bare bones I would think email app, music player, gallery, stuff like that would be gone to allow the user to choose.

The average Joe and Jane consumer don't want "barebones". They want features. And if they don't want to use some features, they don't need to. "Enthusiasts" who want to flash ROMs, root, etc, are NOT the core user of Android devices. You The guys that do that just THINK you they are the core audience for Android mfgrs. Cheers.

Last edited:

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The average Joe and Jane consumer don't want "barebones". They want features. And if they don't want to use some features, they don't need to. "Enthusiasts" who want to flash ROM's, root, etc, are NOT the core user of Android devices. You guys that do that just THINK you are. Cheers.

I am unsure as to what you are implying. I never once said anything about my type being a core user as a matter of fact I did the math in several threads proving I was in fact one of the less than 1%. My issue again is I fail to see how aosp is "bare bones" yes it has fewer preloaded apps but it still has 99% of the core features of any other interface. We have said samsung has made strides to improve upon android in recent ventures with smart stay and multi window but I hardly think those constitute the title of bare bones

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I used the wrong pronoun! LOL! I shouldn't have said "you" guys, as it seems you felt I was directing that comment to you. I was just making generalized statements on the topic of features vs barebones. :) I edited the previous post for clarity.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I used the wrong pronoun! LOL! I shouldn't have said "you" guys, as it seems you felt I was directing that comment to you. I was just making generalized statements on the topic of features vs barebones. :) I edited the previous post for clarity.

Fair enough sir thank you for the clarification. I would like to ask your opinion on the matter would you consider aosp "bare bones" or if not how would you classify it.

Also note I never said anything about wanting aosp on every device or anything like that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Easy. If AOSP is the base that companies like Samsung (TouchWiz), HTC (Sense), and Motorola (MotoBlur) build on top of, AOSP must be the bare bones base OS. It really is as simple as that.