When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I quickly threw this together just for this thread, I think I'll try it out as my avatar ...

appleshark.jpg

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I like what both platforms have to offer.
Since I'm a power user, I use my Android devices more than my iOS devices.
I like being able to plug my Android phone into the computers at work and use my phone like a USB jump drive. I can also use an OTG cable to read and transfer files to and from the USB jump drive I use at work.
Android has had it's share of problems.
The most recent devices have fixed a lot of issues I was having on previous Android devices. I used to recommend the iPhone to those who were getting a smartphone for the first time. Now I can recommend the latest Android devices with no problem.
I will say that iCloud does an awesome job of restoring your device. I returned a 16GB iPad for 32GB model. When I entered my Apple ID, all of my apps, folders, wallpapers, and settings were restored. Everything was exactly how I had it on my previous iPad. Google does a pretty good job with this feature as well, but I always have problems with quite a few 3rd party apps and some settings not being added after the restoration process. I will say they're both better than Blackberry. Entering PIN numbers for all of my paid apps was a chore.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I like what both platforms have to offer.
Since I'm a power user, I use my Android devices more than my iOS devices.
I like being able to plug my Android phone into the computers at work and use my phone like a USB jump drive. I can also use an OTG cable to read and transfer files to and from the USB jump drive I use at work.
Android has had it's share of problems.
The most recent devices have fixed a lot of issues I was having on previous Android devices. I used to recommend the iPhone to those who were getting a smartphone for the first time. Now I can recommend the latest Android devices with no problem.
I will say that iCloud does an awesome job of restoring your device. I returned a 16GB iPad for 32GB model. When I entered my Apple ID, all of my apps, folders, wallpapers, and settings were restored. Everything was exactly how I had it on my previous iPad. Google does a pretty good job with this feature as well, but I always have problems with quite a few 3rd party apps and some settings not being added after the restoration process. I will say they're both better than Blackberry. Entering PIN numbers for all of my paid apps was a chore.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
I agree that the backup and restore process needs work. I rooted and figured out Titanium backup so all is well for me now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the backup and restore process needs work. I rooted and figured out Titanium backup so all is well for me now.

I'm really annoyed at myself for not rooting my Nexus 7 when I got it! I want to be able to use apps such as stickmount and Titanium Backup. Now if I root, I'll loose all of my data :-(

Sent from my Nexus 7

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm really annoyed at myself for not rooting my Nexus 7 when I got it! I want to be able to use apps such as stickmount and Titanium Backup. Now if I root, I'll loose all of my data :-(

Sent from my Nexus 7

What data will you loose the only thing I see as an issue is app data for games and honestly all I can say is big friggen deal. Pics, music and stuff you can store on a computer. Apps you own are still on play. There's not a ton you loose

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I find it amusing when people comment on which OS they like better when they haven't used both. I have a few friends who constantly say how bad android is and how amazing iOS is when all they have used is iOS. Makes me chuckle a bit inside, but it's also annoying when people don't speak from their own experiences.

Android has come a long way, but I don't see the media love in with the iPhone ending soon. One thing Apple does well is market and that is a huge strength. Those initial keynotes with Jobs really captured an audience and it will take a bit to unsettle that audience. Couple that with the large amount of fanboys who aren't willing to try anything else makes for a hard time.

What data will you loose the only thing I see as an issue is app data for games and honestly all I can say is big friggen deal. Pics, music and stuff you can store on a computer. Apps you own are still on play. There's not a ton you loose

You don't lose a lot of data, just an annoyance to get the phone setup like you're used to again. You have to configure a lot of apps and even settings. I've had my Note 2 for just a week now and I already regret not rooting the device when I got it. I'm going to have to spend one weekend on rooting and installing a new ROM so I can have time to configure everything again.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 7
No time like the present :D

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, the games are one problem. I've finished/nearly finished quite a few so starting over is an annoyance. My main problem is that I've got a dodgy USB connection which makes it annoying to sync stuff to and from my laptop. I use Airdroid but it's still a big inconvenience.

Sent from my Nexus 7

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just counted and I have over 185 downloaded apps. I also have a pretty slow internet connection so re-downloading would probably take a while.
What a pain...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would be curious to learn how you made this work. I am new to Android, but my research has shown me that this is not possible. In fact, on the "Back up and Reset", it specifically says "back up app data". There are about a dozen apps I have found that help you make a list of apps to help you restore, but all of them say they cannot backup the apps unless you Root your device, and even then, none of them offer the ability to backup to the cloud.

Are you sure you actually got all of your programs to automatically reinstall?

There are a handful of apps that are not always installed, but I do a new setup almost weekly and the majority of my apps come over, some with settings intact, but that's not automatic on most apps. The good news is that Google Play keeps a list of all the apps that you have downloaded and/or purchased, making finding old apps very simple.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I hope the "love affair" never ends. The competition between Android and iOS makes for better products on both platforms. If Win8 achieves critical mass, that will help too.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I hope the "love affair" never ends. The competition between Android and iOS makes for better products on both platforms. If Win8 achieves critical mass, that will help too.
I agree. Bring on BlackBerry 10. I hope it is a hit for this same reason.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Bring on BlackBerry 10. I hope it is a hit for this same reason.

As long as I can SIMPLY drag and drop and have said files work without the use of proprietary software, I will ALWAYS give said OS a try!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As long as I can SIMPLY drag and drop and have said files work without the use of proprietary software, I will ALWAYS give said OS a try!
the biggest challenge is the depth of apps available. Unless the blackberry can pull a rabbit out of its hat they will have some difficulties getting people away from ios and Android, but I hope they can stay alive. The demos I've watched look pretty cool.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
the biggest challenge is the depth of apps available. Unless the blackberry can pull a rabbit out of its hat they will have some difficulties getting people away from ios and Android, but I hope they can stay alive. The demos I've watched look pretty cool.

Personally, I think they would have to bring something unique and/or extraordinary to the table to pull me away from Android......or Android would have to disappoint me somehow, lol! I do hope they are successful and keep the diversity of products going!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac