What do I lose when switching launchers

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
If I get lets say GO launcher what would I lose and maybe miss from stock launcher?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Calendar widget and Weather widget (technically, you lose all TW widgets, but those are the only ones people find worthwhile).

That's it. All SPen features are accessible.

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I could be wrong but you wont lose anything but you will gain so much more with all the options u can customize! Cant go wrong and you can always go back to stock if u dont like it!

Sent From: Yo Mama's House!

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I use Nova Launcher and much prefer it to TW.

That said, there are a few things related to the S-Pen that don't work automatically. Like some of the things you can have it do automatically when you pull the s-pen out, and some of the air swiping from page to page, I think. I can't recall right off the top of my head, but there are a few things. However, like Cobravision said, as far as using any of the apps that work with the s-pen, you can. You don't lose any of that functionality.

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had go launcher in the past and liked it... I was just seeing if there was anything tw had to offer before leaving it since ive never had the tw experience

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you would lose Page Buddies, right? That is my own reluctance to move to a different launcher quite so soon - I really like the ability to have a different launcher page when I take my S-Pen out or plug in headphones...

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Will page buddy work with Bluetooth headset? I thought it did but can't find info on it.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Page buddies is part of the OS and not the TW launcher. You will not lose that. Even the SPen button up pulls up Quick Command in Nova.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Page buddies is part of the OS and not the TW launcher. You will not lose that. Even the SPen button up pulls up Quick Command in Nova.

Interesting. But I just downloaded Nova to try this and pulled out my SPen. It does not go to the page buddy. Tried it with headphones to. No luck. I don't know how you are getting it to pull up Quck Command, but that's not the same thing as Page Buddies. Nova looks like a very nice launcher, and I may end up with it at some point, but for right now I really like Page Buddies and would rather not lose them...

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems that while you can't get actual page buddies (which again are the hidden launcher pages that become visible and switched to when your device changes status in the ways described above), you can do a swipe down of the notification bar and see recommended apps for that status. So it's part of the way there, but not fully. I guess it's a trade off that some people might decide to make. I'm still on the fence. I wonder if the API's that Samsung released a few weeks ago have any hooks for page buddies or if other launchers might just create this same functionality. Certainly they could check for the audio jack being plugged in, and I'm betting Samsung's API's give similar listeners to check for SPen removal...

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Will page buddy work with Bluetooth headset? I thought it did but can't find info on it.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Doesn't look like it. I would have liked something similar for my mono BT headset that does A2DP, but then it is plugged in 98% of the time, so it would probably be somewhat useless! :)