I dont know why but my note uses almost 1.6 gb of ram all of the time. It makes the phone slower and heavy. How can i fix it?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

12-10-2012 03:06 PM
    Close unused apps, reduce number of widgets on your home screens or just stop checking the memory usage # altogether.
    maxburn likes this.
    12-10-2012 03:09 PM
    Just stop checking the memory usage # altogether.
    This, the phone has a lot of memory so it can keep things in RAM and respond faster. Using all the memory doesn't make it slower, it makes things faster. Having memory free is a waste.
    12-10-2012 03:48 PM
    This, the phone has a lot of memory so it can keep things in RAM and respond faster. Using all the memory doesn't make it slower, it makes things faster. Having memory free is a waste.
    +1

That is the way Android and Linux work. Free memory is considered bad. the phone will keep programs in memory to load them faster and will unload unused programs when it needs memory to load a new program. the OS tries to anticipate what programs you will use and keep them in memory, that's how it reduces lag and makes the phone feel faster.
    12-10-2012 10:56 PM
    So essentially the way every OS has worked for years now, desktop or mobile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    12-10-2012 11:12 PM
    So what can I do to reduce it except of closing programs every time?

12-10-2012 11:56 PM
    There is some validity in wanting some free space in your RAM banks. If its filled to the brim it has to wipe out and free some space to make room for a non-loaded program and data.

Also let's say the OS decides it's going to go RAM crazy and pre-load a bunch of apps you never use. That really is wasted RAM space because it's space that could have gone to an app you might want to use but since the RAM is full it needs to do extra work.

Of course in concept though empty RAM space is "wasted" for all intents and purposes, but no scenario is ever so perfect that 100% of the RAM is being used for all the stuff you need the performance for. It definitely doesn't hurt to leave some of it empty. This is especially easy on our phones since they have so much RAM capacity. I run around 900MB-1.2GB used up space, so like 800MB-500MB free RAM space left.
    12-11-2012 12:20 AM
    So what can I do to reduce it except of closing programs every time?
    Basically we are saying don't worry about it, if you really don't want something in RAM just use the back button as that generally exits the app. Home button generally leaves things running. Resorting to some sort of memory manager would cause more problems than it could possibly ever solve, unless a specific program is misbehaving.

There is some validity in wanting some free space in your RAM banks. If its filled to the brim it has to wipe out and free some space to make room for a non-loaded program and data.~~~
    Absolutely, I have noticed that my phone usually hovers around 1.3-1.5GB in use. It usually leaves over a half gig to start something new before it must spend a little time purging before it can start a new process. Another indication the OS is handling things right.

This stuff is not something people should be worrying about, especially on a phone with 2GB of memory.

All you should be worried about is a buggy app that is stuck in a loop using a lot of CPU, I have caught that only once in my short android ownership and it was fixed fast.
    b0btech likes this.
    12-11-2012 07:52 AM