4.1.1 -> 4.1.2 = exactly 400% the brightness, WOW!!!

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
For the test, I used some professional light measuring equipment (my DSLR).

I captured an image at F/2.8, ISO 400, at 0 EV. Maxed out brightness on the Note 2, with Auto adjust screen tone off (important). I used a completely white picture shot at the same distance.

Before update:
Shutter speed 1/125s
After update:
Shutter speed 1/500s!

That is exactly 2 full stops. Or 4 times the original brightness.

Now, 400% sounds like a lot, like it would blind you. I don't want to create an over-expectation. It's seems adequately bright in a well lit room, where previously in that same room, the phone maybe seemed kinda dim.

When I got my original Galaxy Note II, that I was a little disappointed because people kept saying it is the brightest screen they ever had, and mine was far from that. But maybe those people saying that had something like this originally, but I just got it now. And it is beautiful.

Model: SHV-E250L (Korean Galaxy Note II, received OTA update today)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My Note 2 (like every Note 2 I have seen) isn't in the same ballpark, brightness-wise as my lowly Bionic. The Bionic has obvious greater brightness and is the ONLY feature of that phone that I miss. :)

I'm shocked that anyone would say the Note 2 has a bright screen. All one has to do to disabuse themselves of that mistaken notion, is spend a few minutes at their local Verizon store. the Note is awesome, but brightness isn't its forte. Check out many of the Droids--Moto's offerings and even the HTC DNA, and there are others...

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Dave, I would have 100% agreed with you until yesterday, before I got the 4.1.2 update. And I can't say this will be the same experience with everyone. I believe it may be the carrier that has a say in these things, and my carrier initially put a very low maximum brightness, and now this thing is kinda uncomfortable indoors if I put it on max. I also leave the auto adjust screen tone off by the way.

For the last 2+ months, I've used the phone at 100% brightness about 90% of the time, and now it would be excessive to do this indoors now after the update. As for bright settings such as showrooms, it's adequate, significantly improved from my usual experience "damn this Note II looks kinda dim compared to all these phones in the showroom, let me put it in my pocket before I bum myself out" experience.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
A couple of things:

1. LCD screens will most always be brighter than AMOLED screens. Brighter isn't always better, though, except in very bright environments, e.g. direct sunlight.
  2. What AMOLED screens lack in brightness, they make up for in amazing contrast ratios, which have a LOT to do with how pleasing the display quality is. Don't underestimate the importance of contrast ratio versus brightness and resolution. Check out this article for a good explanation. It's kind of technical and is written about HDTVs, but you get the idea.
  3. If you want to get the maximum brightness out of the Note 2:
    • Go to Settings/Display/Auto adjust screen tone: uncheck it.
    • Go to Settings/Display/Screen mode: select "Dynamic".

Now "Dynamic" will not give you the most natural-appearing colors. Some even describe them as "cartoonish", which I find to be a gross exaggeration. However, it will give you a more visible display in brighter environments. If you want more realistic colors, choose Natural or Movie. Those won't be as bright, or course, but they are much closer to natural than the top two choices.

Nightscape

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm....Theres no way I could use my note 2 at 100% brightness indoors. It would be way too bright and uncomfortable for my eyes. I normally have it set slightly past the half mark and turn on auto brightness.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Dave, I would have 100% agreed with you until yesterday, before I got the 4.1.2 update. And I can't say this will be the same experience with everyone. I believe it may be the carrier that has a say in these things, and my carrier initially put a very low maximum brightness, and now this thing is kinda uncomfortable indoors if I put it on max. I also leave the auto adjust screen tone off by the way.

For the last 2+ months, I've used the phone at 100% brightness about 90% of the time, and now it would be excessive to do this indoors now after the update. As for bright settings such as showrooms, it's adequate, significantly improved from my usual experience "damn this Note II looks kinda dim compared to all these phones in the showroom, let me put it in my pocket before I bum myself out" experience.

Even though my Note isn't nearly as bright as the bionic (and numerous other phones), i set it around 40-50% indoors. Outdoors, however, it's not nearly bright enough for my needs, at 100%. Even the bionic is marginal outside. The note is dreadfully dismal in bright sun.

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Just incase anyone is curious, here are the JPEG and CR2's. These pics are not glamour product shots. They are for the purposes of measurements off a highly calibrated light measuring device. You have to look at the EXIF information. The whole point is to take the same picture with the same level of brightness, by only exposing the sensor to 1/4 of the original open shutter time. The shutter speed indicates change in brightness because trying to evaluate a picture being brighter with people's eyes is always subjective.

Here's additional test information.
Camera: Canon 20D
Lens: Canon 60mm Macro F2.8
Light Metering: Center Weighed
ISO: 400
F-stop: F/2.8
0 EV

Phone settings:
100% Brightness
Auto Brightness off
Auto adjust screen tone off
Model: SHV-E250L

The Test:
Before update:
Shutter speed 1/125s - 1/160s
After update:
Shutter speed 1/500s - 1/640s

If you know a bit of photography, you will see that it was a good test with all the right settings. It was done in a room with a very dim controlled light source. It would be impossible to do a test like this with a point & shoot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/520h0j18tqni5l4/brightnesschange.zip

Again, sounds like not everyone will get this boost, but some people have gotten it. Some people didn't. I just wanted some concrete numbers, hearing that I may notice this. I wanted more definite proof than say something like "yeah, it definitely kinda seems brighter."

So I did this right before and after the update. And I'm glad I did because even with these concrete numbers, people seem to not believe. I can only provide the facts for my device.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I had the Bionic and the screen didn't impress me - nor did the phone since I returned it.

I just got the Note II 2 weeks ago and it has by far the best screen I've seen.

I have it on 50% brightness and that's more than bright enough. If I went 100% I'd burn my retina's.

tisoyboy2

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree! My Note 2 isn't even viewable outdoors in the afternoon. I have to remember to stop and turn up the display to 100% before going out the door. And even then it is extremely dim to where I just post-post use until I get into lower light. Other then that, the Note 2 is a superb device in every way. The brightness bothers me to the point I had considered changing to the GS4 upon its release but true brightness tests (not a naked eye) showed the GS4 slightly above the GN2. I am currently on 4.1.1 so I hope there is a 400% increase when I receive the update.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the Bionic and the screen didn't impress me - nor did the phone since I returned it.

I just got the Note II 2 weeks ago and it has by far the best screen I've seen.

I have it on 50% brightness and that's more than bright enough. If I went 100% I'd burn my retina's.

that surprises me. My Bionic(s) were far, far brighter than my Note 2. The difference in brightness is DRAMATIC. And it's not like I'm comparing ONE copy of each phone. We have had 3 Bionics in the house, and two Note 2's and I've seen several others of each. The only time my Note 2 seems somewhat "bright", is when I'm in near or total darkeness. Otherwise it's the worst aspect of the phone IMO. White isn't well balanced either...

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I would return it. Or go to the store and compare yours with theirs. I can't go over 60% without it being too bright. I can light up a room just with the screen.

that surprises me. My Bionic(s) were far, far brighter than my Note 2. The difference in brightness is DRAMATIC. And it's not like I'm comparing ONE copy of each phone. We have had 3 Bionics in the house, and two Note 2's and I've seen several others of each. The only time my Note 2 seems somewhat "bright", is when I'm in near or total darkeness. Otherwise it's the worst aspect of the phone IMO. White isn't well balanced either...

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Dave. The only time mine seems too bright is when I put it in the car mount at night, when it's almost completely dark. The rest of the time I have it on 100% brightness. If there were a brightness overdrive or 200% brightness for out of doors daylight usage, I'd use it.

Chaleck

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I live in SE Asia. Today I tried to take a photo in bright sunlight on my 2 week old Note 2.

I could not see the screen. I'm only sitting at 50% brightness though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance