Power Saving mode consequences?

moralcode

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
My buddy and I both bought a note 2 in the same week and we've been comparing battery life day to day. He averages about 10% longer of battery life than me on the Power Saving mode all day.
I'm not a huge gamer so my question is, are there any negative long term effects on the hardware or battery if constantly being in power Saving mode?
I know that it lowers your cores and such to save power but would that cause and problems in the long term?

Sent from my Note II on steroids

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I did it on my GS3 with no issues. Since it is built into the phone I can't imagine it would cause damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I would guess Power Saving mode decreases heat, which is better for the CPU. But the CPU is durable. I don't think there's any practical gain in life of the CPU because you're using it less. If the CPU is good for 5 years at normal usage, and you're extending it to 10, what good is that when the Note 6 will be out by that time.

I've killed CPU's in the past by overclocking it. :)

typinghairyape

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would guess Power Saving mode decreases heat, which is better for the CPU. But the CPU is durable. I don't think there's any practical gain in life of the CPU because you're using it less. If the CPU is good for 5 years at normal usage, and you're extending it to 10, what good is that when the Note 6 will be out by that time.

I've killed CPU's in the past by overclocking it. :)

Moore's laws: Even what seems to be the most cutting edge valuable piece of hardware today will seem no more useful than a paper weight in two years time. (Or in the case of the note 2, a door stop)

I would rather be finding out how to overclock it, but apparently it's already an overclocked sgs 3 chip...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

Thanks for joining Android Central. Hopefully you'll find this place as insightful and helpful as I have.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Sent from my PG86100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Power savings mode scales back cpu frequency hence less power usage. I believe it turns off all apps that use data so no send and receive. This is all done while the phone is asleep by the way. I believe there is a little lag when the phone wakes back up because everything is turned backed on.

I thing its a little over kill. This phone last forever and a day with everything turned on anyways. I dont use it.

Sent via Tapatalk

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
There's a few effects that Power Saving mode has on the device.

1. CPU throttling. It will cap your CPU speed at I believe 1.1Ghz vs the max 1.6Ghz. This will have minimal impact on things like texting, web browsing and even light gaming. But heavy gaming and video recording etc, I would recommend not using it. It may adversely affect your experience.

2. Display throttling. Your screens framerate will be cut in half to 30 frames per second. This reduces the power draw on the GPU by lowering the load, but it comes at the cost of things looking choppy. This option also reduces the brightness, even if you already are at minimum brightness, when you use the stock Internet app. Can be helpful since mostly all of the internet is a big white page with small text. White is your enemy with this phones screen technology as it costs the absolute most amount of power from your battery. Overall a good option that won't cause you to lose anything.

3. Disable Haptic Feedback. This ones a no brainer, but does have a noticeable impact on battery life. Vibrate drains a good chunk of battery the more you use it.

So overall it doesn't hurt anything to use this mode, but it can help save you some decent amount of power. Recommend using it for most situations for a casual user. If advanced, you probably already know when and when not to use it.

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I current am trying ds battery saver check it out in the market ...It shuts off all background apps,wifi and data and puts your phone into a deep sleep when your screen goes off and than re enables itself when the screen goes on so that helps but I currently have no clue how some guys are getting 8 to 9 hours with screen on and than still only at 50% use ..Crap if I ran my phone with screen on for 9 hours my phone would be hurting and definitely need to be recharged

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes