Otterbox Case Does Work

Michael4000

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Note 2 for all of a week, and the Otterbox Defender for all of three days, when my phone was dropped on concrete. The Otterbox belt clip has a C-channel, so it was not clear what direction the clip is supposed to go on your belt. It looked like it could go either way. It felt more comfortable with the clip opening at the top for me. That worked fine for two days, but on the third day, the phone went falling to the ground. I watched in horror as the holster broke away from the phone on impact, and the phone went tumbling down a concrete incline like a ball bouncing down a hill. I picked up the pieces, and to my delight, the extent of the damage was only some minor scratches on the corner of the holster. The phone powered up fine.

I have to admit I was a bit ambivalent about the Otterbox, because it increased the bulk of the phone substantially, and doubled the weight from 6 oz. to 12 oz. That's quite a bit of weight on your belt. After this incident, though, I'm convinced the upsides definitely outweigh the downsides.

Something tells me, this won't be the last time the Otterbox is put to the test.

Michael

Last edited:

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Otterbox defenders definitely do their job as advertised. I've had a defender on every device I've had until the Note II. I opted for the hard Samsung case for the Note II due to the device being so large. I may end up regretting my decision in the end.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I was going to get the Defender, but upon reading the extensive review I don't think I'd like it, for many reasons. The included screen cover sounds like a royal PITA, which is enough to have me look elsewhere for a holster type case.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was going to get the Defender, but upon reading the extensive review I don't think I'd like it, for many reasons. The included screen cover sounds like a royal PITA, which is enough to have me look elsewhere for a holster type case.

You ALWAYS punch the screen protector out. It's easy to do. That built in screen protector is just annoying... especially when you have a BlackBerry Storm with the click screen.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You ALWAYS punch the screen protector out. It's easy to do. That built in screen protector is just annoying... especially when you have a BlackBerry Storm with the click screen.

do you know if any stores carry the defender or would I have to buy online? I don't like buying things I've not seen samples of in person.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
do you know if any stores carry the defender or would I have to buy online? I don't like buying things I've not seen samples of in person.

My guess would be you'd have to get it online. If the Note II was a high seller like an SIII you could probably find it in a store. Try to find some YouTube videos that'll give you a better look at it.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered mine on Amazon for $10 off and free shipping with Prime. I have had several Defenders and I feel naked without one now. I can attest to their ability to prevent damage. When I had my GS3 I actually like the tactile feel of the case. It made it easier to grip and hold. I am hoping that this will be exactly the same.

I always pop out the built in screen protector and install a Zagg Invisible Shield HD. This time I ordered an SPG Ultra. We will see how I like it. I read some negative reviews with the Zagg and S-Pen combination, which is why I opted for the SPG.

Michael4000

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
When I had my GS3 I actually like the tactile feel of the case. It made it easier to grip and hold. I am hoping that this will be exactly the same.

I always pop out the built in screen protector and install a Zagg Invisible Shield HD.

I, too, like the tactile feel of the case with the rubber back and sides. It is very easy to keep in your hands.

The bult-in screen protector doesn't have the solid feel of the regular screen, but I've gotten somewhat use to it already. It also shows fingerprints more than the regular screen. I don't know how it compares to the screen protector films out there.

One thing I wish the Defender did have is some sort of cover for the camera lens.

Michael

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey Dave, I was in a sprint store the other day in my area and they had one in stock... no commuter though and only one defender

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Note 2 for all of a week, and the Otterbox Defender for all of three days, when my phone was dropped on concrete. The Otterbox belt clip has a C-channel, so it was not clear what direction the clip is supposed to go on your belt. It looked like it could go either way. It felt more comfortable with the clip opening at the top for me. That worked fine for two days, but on the third day, the phone went falling to the ground. I watched in horror as the holster broke away from the phone on impact, and the phone went tumbling down a concrete incline like a ball bouncing down a hill. I picked up the pieces, and to my delight, the extent of the damage was only some minor scratches on the corner of the holster. The phone powered up fine.

I have to admit I was a bit ambivalent about the Otterbox, because it increased the bulk of the phone substantially, and doubled the weight from 6 oz. to 12 oz. That's quite a bit of weight on your belt. After this incident, though, I'm convinced the upsides definitely outweigh the downsides.

Something tells me, this won't be the last time the Otterbox is put to the test.

Michael

Open end goes down

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ShelaghDB

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
i just got my Note yesterday and was not aware there was an otterbox for it but having used one on my iPhones, I swear by them. Ur devices remain new and if you are prone to dropping, u need one for sure so i am glad to hear there is one for this phone and i will buy it---or even the copies---------ive seen the copies for the iphone for 1/3 the price and they were more or less the same

but why punch out the screen? you protect the screen from getting scratched so id prefer having it on unless i am missing something?

ShelaghDB

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
as my last post says i have used them for the past 2 years on iPhones but the next one I buy will be just a copy---they are 1/3 the price and do as good a job and look the ame, at least the one a friend of mine purchased for $20 did, against my $50 version ( they are a bit less now, I think about $35 sometimes ) but often you can find the copies on your local Craigslist or if you have a mall that caters to those from Hong Kong, etc.....that carries stock from China, you should find one

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Punching out the screen and using a standard stickie protector is done because the installed screen protector does not fit tightly in the case. It results in areas with reduced sensitivity.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc